collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Preserving antlers  (Read 3041 times)

Offline hunter105

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Preserving antlers
« on: March 18, 2017, 08:08:44 PM »
I just noticed my moose antlers are starting to fade from being mounted under a skylight.  How can I preserve them from fading and what is the best way to bring the color back?  I appreciate your help.

Offline BlackRiverTaxidermy

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Joel - Owner/Taxidermist
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA, WSTA
Re: Preserving antlers
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 10:54:43 PM »
A couple of options for you.
One... you could get an actual antler stain, however if the antlers are slightly faded there's a chance it may add too much color for them. Most commercial antler stains come in a bottle that you could stain 50 sets of antlers with, but it can also be added in coats. If you would like just a small amount I could probably set you up with some to try.
Two...coffee stain them. Take about a cup of 'Dark Roast' ground beans and mix just enough water to make a paste. Preferably outside, and wearing gloves, take about a tablespoon in your hand and liberally rub over the antler. This will bring back color and can easily be done again to attain the color depthness your looking for. Its messy, but it works quite well and Ive done this on several chalk/white moose antlers and it turned out great.
Three... I use Watco 'Medium Walnut' Floor Wax on most of my antlers as a finisher. Its the liquid form and more like a stain consistency then a 'wax'. A small amount on a rag or paper towel enhances the color slightly and can be added in several layers to attain a darker/stain quality. It also rehydrates the antlers and protects them, just ensure to wipe off the excess after it dries to keep the antlers from keeping a real shiny look.
Hope this helped and best of luck.
Joel-BRT
WWW.blackrivertaxidermy.com
360-789-5056- Joel Swecker-BRT

Offline BGLEMIN

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 11:22:27 PM »
A couple of options for you.
One... you could get an actual antler stain, however if the antlers are slightly faded there's a chance it may add too much color for them. Most commercial antler stains come in a bottle that you could stain 50 sets of antlers with, but it can also be added in coats. If you would like just a small amount I could probably set you up with some to try.
Two...coffee stain them. Take about a cup of 'Dark Roast' ground beans and mix just enough water to make a paste. Preferably outside, and wearing gloves, take about a tablespoon in your hand and liberally rub over the antler. This will bring back color and can easily be done again to attain the color depthness your looking for. Its messy, but it works quite well and Ive done this on several chalk/white moose antlers and it turned out great.
Three... I use Watco 'Medium Walnut' Floor Wax on most of my antlers as a finisher. Its the liquid form and more like a stain consistency then a 'wax'. A small amount on a rag or paper towel enhances the color slightly and can be added in several layers to attain a darker/stain quality. It also rehydrates the antlers and protects them, just ensure to wipe off the excess after it dries to keep the antlers from keeping a real shiny look.
Hope this helped and best of luck.
Joel-BRT
Will these do the same for mule deer and elk antlers or are there different products that would work better?
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."
Henry David Thoreau

Offline BlackRiverTaxidermy

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Joel - Owner/Taxidermist
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA, WSTA
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 09:00:24 AM »
Sure will, any antlers this will work for. If you get the actual Antler Stain it comes in several different shades though. Theres a more reddish color that I use for elk, especially Roosevelt antlers and blacktails. If your using it on mule deer a 'medium brown' is a good choice for those and whitetails. The coffee stain works really good tho and easy to apply in layers.....plus it gives it a nice aroma! lol.
WWW.blackrivertaxidermy.com
360-789-5056- Joel Swecker-BRT

Offline BGLEMIN

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 04:46:27 PM »
Sure will, any antlers this will work for. If you get the actual Antler Stain it comes in several different shades though. Theres a more reddish color that I use for elk, especially Roosevelt antlers and blacktails. If your using it on mule deer a 'medium brown' is a good choice for those and whitetails. The coffee stain works really good tho and easy to apply in layers.....plus it gives it a nice aroma! lol.

Good to know, thanks. What if you're trying to mimic the stain of aspen? Fortunately I inherited a rack and it's very bleached. All accounts indicate this buck lived primarily in the aspen zone. I'm sure spruce too, along with gambel oak, service berry and mtn mahogany.
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."
Henry David Thoreau

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]