collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Employer killing out of season?  (Read 9245 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Employer killing out of season?
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 08:20:45 AM »
Then to find out they legally could do it......

Or even if they are illegally doing it, it still can be done if you jump through all the damn hoops, and the bottom line is.... a dead goose.   

Kinda like burning the pile in my yard.   It just became harder for me to go buy the permit to do it legally.   To,do it legally it costs 50 bucks, and is a big hassle...or I could just light it and hope one of my neighbors doesn't report me.   Bottom line, pile burned and my home is safer for fire season.

Does the state get another 50 and my afternoon? 

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2017, 08:42:20 AM »
Didn't sit by and watch this happen, I guess they do it yearly and last year I started st this company soon after they did that so it should be happening soon and me as a hunter or sportsman I highly doubt I will be able to sit by and just watch as this happens
Have you spoken to your boss about this? That might be another option. I hate poachers and I would turn them in if I caught them. But, I've never been forced to choose between my job and my ethics. Unless we've actually been in that situation, we have no idea what our response would be. Don't get your chest all pumped up based on what you read in this thread. None of us are walking in your shoes right now.
I have seen my employers reaction to this when they were all talking about it and they think it's funny So by that I'm guessing they don't have a care in the world about it, my employer and parts of the companies management just think it's a funny histarical thing that happens
Then I would definitely report them.  :twocents:

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2017, 08:54:42 AM »
I think I would talk to a game agent before the fact. Maybe they could go and have a talk with them and warn them they are being watched.
Keeps the geese from getting shot and saves someone from committing a crime. Probably reflect better on you if it comes out who the "snitch" is which I think will happen given you have put this in the public domain.
At least that is what I think I would do.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2017, 09:23:51 AM »
Also, do a little research on the whistle blower protection laws.  You may be protected from retailation by your employer. 

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2017, 09:28:52 AM »
Now I have worked for this company before (the company contracting my current employer) and I was in upper management there, and I know or at least highly doubt they are doing this by the book or with any legal means by how everyone in the office jokes about it when we go into the main office for a safety meeting, I've read some good advice from you guys on here and I guess when it comes time to where they start eradicating the geese and waterfowl from the ponds I will make my decision but based on how much it angers me just thinking about it as a sportsmen or outdoorsmen I think it will turn to a phone call to wdfw

I wouldn't worry to much about it one way or another.  I know a guy who is in a big group of hunters and they absolutely slaughter the geese with everyone having some sort of access to good private land.  Legal yes, but ask yourself what can you do with over 2500 ducks and geese bagged in one season when your guy doesn't want these messy critters around.  At my work other employees feed the geese but I don't care one way or another either.  But there are many non-lethal methods such as lasers to concussion explosions to harass the geese away and that's something I would do internet searches on and present in meetings.     
Don't read my post if facts hurt your feeling.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2017, 09:29:03 AM »
Before you go off the deep end check with the local WDFW agent and find out what he knows.  He may have a bit more of the story and also know if the feds have issued permits.

Boeing would "remove" geese from time to time.  Nothing worse than going to another building for a meeting and meeting the attack geese in front of the door.  It's when they nest close to sidewalks and entrances that it really becomes a problem.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2017, 10:07:50 AM »
They haven't done it yet this season but like they have said it's a yearly things so they're going to and I think me as a person I have to, it's wrong and me as a person the person I am I can't sit back and be ok with that, like my dad and grandfather use to say, at the end of the day all you have is yourself

It sounds like you already have answered your own question. Good for you!  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Mike Wolsky

• Pilgrim
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2017, 12:27:24 PM »
I work at a place that legally has well over 100 killed each spring. They contract USDA to do the removal. The "sniper" bounces between Boeing and our campus. Shoots them in the middle of day! Pretty crazy...

WDFW wasn't willing to do anything about it and pointed us to USDA. They had to stop shooting them on Oct 1 because they were then classified as "migratory". I'm pretty sure mid March they become "residential" and it's open season again.

It is sad because the geese nest on the ponds and don't really know any better... it is what it is though.

Offline Skyhigh

• Hunter
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2017, 10:52:16 AM »
As mentioned above,It's a federal thing when it comes to killing migratory waterfowl rather than Wdfw thing.
Fyi, it wouldn't be to hard to figure out what company or who you are by the description you gave in your posts about what you do, who you do it for etc etc.
WE ARE NOT RELATED !!!

Offline Firedogg

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2017, 11:20:46 AM »
Report them.  If they have a permit it won't be an issue, perhaps someone might stop by to make sure they are following the terms of the permit. You can report anonymously, but if you are worried about them knowing it is you give someone else the info and let them report for you.

Want to really stir the pot? Give the local paper or TV news a tip.

Seems like if they haveva goise problem they would allow the flock to be thinned during open seasons.
There is no greater respect to have for wildlife than to harvest an animal fairly and use it's flesh to feed your family.  ~me

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]