collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone else occasionally get a freakishly large egg from your chickens?  (Read 13012 times)

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
Re: Anyone else occasionally get a freakishly large egg from your chickens?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 10:38:52 AM »
I understand passing a kidney stone can hurt too.  :yike:
Doug
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline HighlandLofts

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WAC,
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 06:37:13 PM »
I have nine hens I bought as chicks this spring, one of them has played 2 double yolkers.

My son had one that played double yolkers, she laid one with a triple yolker and one egg that had 4 yolks.

They must have something genetically wrong with them.
WAC
NRA
Walk Light, Carry A Big Stick, Never Walk Away. - Teddy Roosevelt
Don't Take Your Guns To Town.   Johnny Cash

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2018, 06:16:24 PM »
Out of 26 chickens I get 1 or 2 a day.   I’m feeding non gmo organic soy and corn free
mega layer
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2018, 06:21:39 PM »
I am down to only 8 hens but every now and then get an egg 2-3 X normal size or even tiny ones. Our last bunch of barred rocks we had one that would lay double and even triple yolkers. She wound up going dry 6 months before the rest of the flock.

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2018, 10:03:10 AM »
jasnt, who ever markets your 'mega layer' may want to change the name.  Seriously, your hens reproductive cycle is light dependent, give them 14 hours of light in a continuous block and a balanced diet.  Each hen should give you 400 or so fairly efficiently.

Offline Hilltop123

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2018, 10:12:12 AM »
jasnt, who ever markets your 'mega layer' may want to change the name.  Seriously, your hens reproductive cycle is light dependent, give them 14 hours of light in a continuous block and a balanced diet.  Each hen should give you 400 or so fairly efficiently.
:yeah: Plus after 2-3 years, production just plummets.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2018, 10:59:18 AM »
the mega layer is high in omega 3 which is why the name.  Chickens are on 16 hour day

MEGA LAYER

FEED FOR LAYING HENS WITH OMEGA 3

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Crude Protein (min) 17.0%
Lysine (min) 0.50%
Methionine (min) 0.25%
Crude Fat (min) 1.50%
Crude Fiber (max) 4.60%
Calcium (Ca) (min) 3.0%
Calcium (Ca) (max) 4.0%
Phosphorus (P) (min) 0.60%

INGREDIENTS:

Peas, Barley, Wheat, Camelina Meal, Sunflower Meal, Canola Meal, "Poultry Mineral Pre-Mix -less than 2.5% (Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Ground Limestone, Salt, Choline Chloride, dl-Methionine, Mineral Oil, Ferrous Sulfate, Manga-nese Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Niacin Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, d-Calcium Panthothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Menadione Nicotinamide Bisulfite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Trichoderma reesei Fermentation Extract, Dried Aspergillus niger Fer-mentation Extract and Organic Canola Oil)."

https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.

Offline pcal

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2018, 03:49:23 PM »
Sounds like you researched the science but one thing I found out from experienced producers of both meat and eggs was the minerals to use.Azomite is a really important feed additive as well as diatomaceous earth to control flies and mites.Both are cheap and really strengthen the egg shells and bone and feathers of the poultry.These two products are available at most farm supplies and well worth the price by reducing the loss of early deaths of the flock and less loss of eggs to thin shells.The DE will knock out any flies within just a few days,too.I did test for myself by putting out pelletized azomite and oyster shell in separate containers and the oyster shell wasn't even touched with the azomite gone within one day.The DE can be mixed with the feed to kill internal parasites and their scat kills any flies that land on it within just a few hours.Fly cards hung in the barns will have no evidence of fly poop within 3 days after starting de. Go to the Azomite International website to read the research and the BC,ca agricultural website to see the studies on DE.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2018, 04:11:25 PM »
Sounds like you researched the science but one thing I found out from experienced producers of both meat and eggs was the minerals to use.Azomite is a really important feed additive as well as diatomaceous earth to control flies and mites.Both are cheap and really strengthen the egg shells and bone and feathers of the poultry.These two products are available at most farm supplies and well worth the price by reducing the loss of early deaths of the flock and less loss of eggs to thin shells.The DE will knock out any flies within just a few days,too.I did test for myself by putting out pelletized azomite and oyster shell in separate containers and the oyster shell wasn't even touched with the azomite gone within one day.The DE can be mixed with the feed to kill internal parasites and their scat kills any flies that land on it within just a few hours.Fly cards hung in the barns will have no evidence of fly poop within 3 days after starting de. Go to the Azomite International website to read the research and the BC,ca agricultural website to see the studies on DE.
great info thanks

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2018, 06:59:40 PM »
Wow! I'm going to have to try that. Thanks nwwanderer

Online mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2019, 04:54:02 PM »
Growing up it was a weekly occurrence. Always had barred rocks and rhodies.
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline HighlandLofts

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WAC,
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2019, 02:24:11 AM »
My nine hens are laying eight/nine eggs a day. I have one hen tjat has layed three really small eggs. The size of a pigeon egg. She laid one a couple of days ago. My grandson wanted scrambled eggs this morning and i added that one to two regular sized eggs.
It had no yolk, just the whites and a small white spot what probably is tje beginings of tje chick.

I tossed the other extra small eggs.

I have gotten a few double yolkers from these nine chickens.
I strictly feed Conway Feed chicken layer crumbles.

After reading the post about DE on the feed I will.be buying some tomorrow and put it on the chicken feed, pigeon feed, dove feed, and my dogs food.
It would probably be good to add it to the wild bird seed if you feed the wild birds. I quit feeding them years ago, figure they would be spreading their dieseases & lice to my birds.

WAC
NRA
Walk Light, Carry A Big Stick, Never Walk Away. - Teddy Roosevelt
Don't Take Your Guns To Town.   Johnny Cash

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]