collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Flatlander in GMU 560 Rifle Hunting  (Read 4550 times)

Offline Wapiti1812

• Flatlander
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Flatlander in GMU 560 Rifle Hunting
« on: June 25, 2017, 07:20:00 AM »
Well, so I'm a flatlander from Florida that has fallen in love with elk hunting and the Mt. St Helens area.  I've been hunting with some Marine Corps friends in the Lewis River GMU for the last six (6) or so years now.  I've seen elk ever year, but legal ones not so much.  I tagged a reg horn 4 years ago near Merrill Lake (we kinda bumped into each other), but now that area seems to not be as user and crowded friendly since Green Crow bought it / manages it.

The last couple years we've hunted more on the south slope of the Mountain, north of the 8100 up to the tree line, but with little luck.  I've been doing a fair bit of google-fu scouting and forum reading, trying to find some better areas/tactics. It seems most I've read is to spot and stalk, but I don't recall any areas that would really work, with all the clears and young repod areas are covered up with road hunters.

It seems Cinnamon Peak and Blue Lake has some good areas (a little far away from roads), but how's the hunting pressure around there?

I'm just tired of bumbling around the woods (I like to call it still hunting, that sounds better) hoping to see one before he see's me, and trying to make an actual plan of action to help increase my odds.

Any advice is welcome.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
Re: Flatlander in GMU 560 Rifle Hunting
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 01:12:31 PM »
Tag.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 01:28:09 PM »
Western WA is spot and shoot.  There typically is no time or need for the stalk part. 

Be out dawn to dusk and cover a lot of ground.

Find multiple areas with fresh sign.  If you scout a lot pre-season and come up with 8-10 honey holes and then hit a different one at dawn and another at dusk for the first 5 days of the season you should feel pretty good about your chances.  Yea it takes lots of time.

For other strategies consider bow season when you can call em.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 01:29:35 PM »
If your are is busy yet you are confident elk are around then hunt the hunters!  I mean let them push and pressure.  Find crappy funnels and swamps and draws elk will use and hide.  Don't look for natural feeding areas and trails.  Find hard to get brushy, wet, garbage and spot and stalk em.  If you see hunters in that spot move to the next nasty draw, funnel, swamp and hope a bull gets pushed to your hiding spot. :twocents:  I know this works in busy areas with elk pressure.  Also don't forget to push reprod if party hunting. :tup:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Wapiti1812

• Flatlander
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 05:46:05 AM »
Western WA is spot and shoot.  There typically is no time or need for the stalk part. 

Be out dawn to dusk and cover a lot of ground.

Find multiple areas with fresh sign.  If you scout a lot pre-season and come up with 8-10 honey holes and then hit a different one at dawn and another at dusk for the first 5 days of the season you should feel pretty good about your chances.  Yea it takes lots of time.

For other strategies consider bow season when you can call em.

Magnum, thanks for the advice.  The dawn / dusk thing is what has been missing, we are at the parking spot before dawn, but not at a hunting spot, that is gonna change this coming season.  I wish I had a chance to do some actual scouting, but the 3500 miles of travel sucks for that, so it's Google fu scouting for now...  But I'm identifying some areas, I plan to get up the mountain a  couple days before the season and do some boots on the ground scouting.  Once again , thanks for the advice.

Offline Wapiti1812

• Flatlander
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 05:49:13 AM »
If your are is busy yet you are confident elk are around then hunt the hunters!  I mean let them push and pressure.  Find crappy funnels and swamps and draws elk will use and hide.  Don't look for natural feeding areas and trails.  Find hard to get brushy, wet, garbage and spot and stalk em.  If you see hunters in that spot move to the next nasty draw, funnel, swamp and hope a bull gets pushed to your hiding spot. :twocents:  I know this works in busy areas with elk pressure.  Also don't forget to push reprod if party hunting. :tup:

Mud, thanks for the advice, the funnels, swamps, draws and 'hunt the hunters' are great advice are great advice, thanks.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 10:41:15 AM »
Yuppers.  My old man has used this strategy in the crazy Winston unit for years. 5 bulls in 10 years (2 good ones) tells me its very good during busy modern season!  I haven't connected a bull this way as Winston was cow and I was archery but had a big 5x5 and raghorn in front of me I couldn't shoot.  I hate pressure crowded areas, and antlerless hunts! :bash:  Good luck, 560 is pretty and don't forget about Adams area as well.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Wapiti1812

• Flatlander
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 02:08:23 PM »
Yuppers.  My old man has used this strategy in the crazy Winston unit for years. 5 bulls in 10 years (2 good ones) tells me its very good during busy modern season!  I haven't connected a bull this way as Winston was cow and I was archery but had a big 5x5 and raghorn in front of me I couldn't shoot.  I hate pressure crowded areas, and antlerless hunts! :bash:  Good luck, 560 is pretty and don't forget about Adams area as well.

We camp and hunt the west side, Adams is a bit far to travel, but I think I'm starting to formulate a plan, Tanks ~ Brent

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]