collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: To GPS or not to GPS  (Read 13582 times)

Offline Alpine Mojo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: To GPS or not to GPS
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2017, 06:33:17 PM »
My suspicion is that most people who don't like maps and favor GPS have never mastered the use of a map. :twocents:

Fixed it for ya.   :hello:
Friend: "Are you free tonight?"
Me:  (Gazing into the distance as a bald eagle screeches)  "I'm always free"

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2017, 07:58:23 AM »
My suspicion is that most people who don't like maps and favor GPS have never mastered the use of a map. :twocents:

Fixed it for ya.   :hello:
A handheld GPS is a map.  It is a compass.  It is a pen.  It's a notepad. It is a altimeter.  It has a back light.  You can shoot an azimuth.  You can measure a distance.  It is many tools folded into one. 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2017, 08:12:47 AM »
GPS is not a replacement for map and compass skills. It's an excellent and easy tool to be used with the understanding that it can fail. Know how to use a map and compass, how to triangulate and account for declination and keep a map in your pack and a compass around your neck. But, as long as it runs, a good quality, strong GPS is hard to beat for hunting hard all day and knowing exactly where your are when it's time to go home. I always have all three on me in the woods. I rarely use the map and compass anymore.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2017, 08:13:11 AM »
I can’t think of any function a map can do that a GPS can’t; I can think of plenty of things a GPS can do that a map can’t.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2017, 08:20:37 AM »
I like using UTM coordinates for getting a quick fix on my map, and otherwise, I like using the GPS to find a bearing between waypoints.  But otherwise, a map and compass are indispensable.

For people looking to improve their map and compass skills, I recommend this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Wilderness-Navigation-Finding-Altimeter-Mountaineers/dp/1594859450/

REI offers orienteering courses, and last I checked, they use this book.

Teaching kids maps reading and orienteering is also a fun activity while out camping.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2017, 08:26:15 AM »
Assuming you have orienteering skills and keep a map and compass on you, why would someone not use a good GPS all the time? I can use an abacus, but I much prefer to do payroll using a computer.  :dunno:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2017, 08:34:55 AM »
Assuming you have orienteering skills and keep a map and compass on you, why would someone not use a good GPS all the time? I can use an abacus, but I much prefer to do payroll using a computer.  :dunno:

And you probably wear boots, too.  :chuckle:

Think of a map as a wide screen GPS that you don't have to go through clunky menus to see exactly what you want. 

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2017, 08:37:42 AM »

Weight and loss of "experience"

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2017, 08:42:35 AM »

Ah yes - the experience of not being able to find my truck in the dark with just a map. I forget that fun part. ;)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2017, 08:44:23 AM »
Does add flavor to a story :chuckle:

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2017, 08:45:57 AM »

Then there is the loss of signal in the deep and dark areas or areas blocking southerly exposure.

I don't always get a signal, but I can follow along exactly where I am with map in hand, mostly.  That's why it's nice to check UTM coordinates, once I am back in the clear, for a quick fix on the map.

But the GPS is a nice comfort in a white out, even if you are still completely disoriented with the GPS.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2017, 08:54:07 AM »
That's a short version of what happened to me.  The one time I relied on the gps.   Lost signal then was in trouble.  If I had my head in the game or would have had a compass in my pocket, all would have been fine.   Lesson learned. One less gadget I had to buy or carry. 

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2017, 09:01:52 AM »
It's amazing how quickly things can go from light and wide open to dark and completely socked in like pea soup.  I had to look at my GPS (with signal) several times in disbelief, because I was so disoriented and in disbelief about where I was, everything looked foreign, and I had no trust in my ability to determine my location.  It was surreal. 

GPS is nice and convenient. Compass and map are convenient and good insurance.  Both are a good complement.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2017, 09:06:01 AM »
Something I’ve used a GPS for on multiple occasions is creating a waypoint for an animal I’m hunting, and making a blind stalk. I range the animal, take a bearing on it, and plug the waypoint into my GPS. I can then “go to” the animal’s waypoint staying completely out of sight. The GPS tells me the distance to the animal as I stalk it. When I get to a shootable distance, I can start looking for a good spot to shoot from.  I’ve done that innumerable times with antelope, and a couple times with elk.  The last elk I did it with was 1360 yards away when I started. I blind-stalked within 115 yards before peeking over a ridge to see and shoot it; it never knew I was there.

With mapping programs I know exactly where I am, and where the boundaries are of the property I’m on. I can see landowner information for private land. I can find access to public properties that have just a tiny sliver accessible that I wouldn’t be able to do otherwise.

I know which GMU I’m in, which deer area I’m in, which elk area I’m in.

I can mark my dead animal and easily find it without flagging tape when making multiple retrievals. I can leave a bread crumb track of the path I walked out, so if I need to return in the dark I can follow it.

Sunrise/sunset information is available for my location, and any location I choose. I’ve hunted some special hunts in February and March. When does the regulation pamphlet indicate that legal shooting time ends on February 15?

If I get lost or injured I can give my exact location. With RINO models the information is transmitted automatically.

I do use maps to see the “large picture” sometimes, but just can’t understand why someone wouldn’t want to also take advantage of the many functions a tool that weighs half a pound offers.

To each his own.

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2017, 09:06:33 AM »
I carry a GPS because when I am exhausted and in the thick nasty stuff it is nice to look at the GPS and see the shortest route to the trial.  I have never had one fail, but they do allow you to take your head out of the game and not pay attention to your surroundings.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]