collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is IT Time To Eliminate OIL Tag Auctions?  (Read 12237 times)

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Is IT Time To Eliminate OIL Tag Auctions?
« on: April 03, 2017, 02:03:10 PM »
I used to think that OIL tag auctions raised essential money for conservation and are a necessary tool. My opinion has changed. After the Bullwinkle episode, it occurs to me that these auctions are just another in a long series of nails in the coffin of public hunting's future. We're losing more land to leases and pay to play every year. The animal rights people collect more and more money for litigation which seeks to further regulate and restrict us, and to eventually end our heritage. And we now have lopsided legislatures, commissions, and "scientific" panels which have forgotten the reasons that our wildlife is abundant - the efforts of hunters which brought the wildlife back. Their successes in ending hounding and baiting, and introducing multiple apex predators are aimed at taking us out. And it's effective.

Long story short, I'd like to see all OIL auctions ended in WA. Although I get it - if you're rich, you've likely worked hard to get where you are and afford some of those things. But undermining our game management system by catering to a given class of people is stupid. What say you?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 06:17:01 AM by pianoman9701 »
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
Re: Is IT Time To OIL Tag Auctions?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 02:06:16 PM »
For clarity - are you referring to the Raffle Drawings and Governor Tags?
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline chester

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 02:07:06 PM »
Make the auctions OIL so you can only win them once instead of seeing the same guys buy it every year? Or just end auctions all together?
Dilligaf

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 02:14:34 PM »
I'm on the fence.

On one hand, cash talks.  WDFW is in need of it BUT.....like so many things, we don't have a revenue issue, we have a spending problem.  More money doesn't fix spending problems.  I see the value in both sides of this argument but until the spending problem is fixed....I don't think any alternative "solutions" matter.   :twocents:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 02:38:03 PM »
The United States in unique in its North American Model of Wildlife Conservation. It's under attack from many sides.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/conservation/conservation_NAM.asp?area=conservation&gclid=Cj0KEQjw5YfHBRDzjNnioYq3_swBEiQArj4pdADNKS47QfaQUfJmXmcsYGKQr-Sf6v2wRW0aYWkiwxoaAr4q8P8HAQ

Opportunity for All – Every citizen has the freedom to hunt and fish.

Public access to wildlife, regardless of social or economic status, including hunting, fishing, and trapping is a right of citizenship. This access fosters individual stewardship and provides the funding necessary to properly manage wildlife resources in a sustainable manner.

Boone and Crockett Club founder, Theodore Roosevelt believed strongly in wise-use conservation and fought aggressively against preservationist, or non-use proposals. The Club also believed that those who use the resource should pay for its care and maintenance. The Club lobbied for the laws and institutions that provided this funding, including a federal excise tax on sporting arms and ammunition and the federal Duck Stamp program. Sportsmen ands women subsequently stepped forward and gladly accepted their role in funding conservation
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 02:43:37 PM »
I'm on the fence.

On one hand, cash talks.  WDFW is in need of it BUT.....like so many things, we don't have a revenue issue, we have a spending problem.  More money doesn't fix spending problems.  I see the value in both sides of this argument but until the spending problem is fixed....I don't think any alternative "solutions" matter.   :twocents:

:yeah:

I'm on the fence as well  but leaning with pianoman.....the general public needs more opportunities

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 02:48:29 PM »
I agree with Pianoman.  End the auctions...more harm than good - and as Gringo said, WDFW has a spending problem - not a revenue problem.   

I think it is important in these discussions to focus on the system and the enabler (WDFW, legislature etc.) not the participants in the auctions who are playing by the rules setup by the enablers.  :twocents:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 03:01:08 PM »
These Tag Auctions seem to attract some of the very finest of individuals.  It is not only the money they spend on the auctions that they give, year after year, I have met a few who have bought new vehicles and turned the old (like three years) vehicles (off road vehicles and pickups and boats) they replaced over to conservation minded NGO's, and just really do give tremendous amount. 

And then there are those who impress me as only involved for what they can personally get out of it. 

I am not ready to say that the abusers should end the opportunity for all to participate, but I would not have any qualms limiting the Raffle Tags to no more than 10 chances/Wild ID per opportunity though. 

Offline Smoke

• Hunter
  • Groups: Skouckum Archery
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 04:00:48 PM »
"Public access to wildlife, regardless of social or economic status, including hunting, fishing, and trapping is a right of citizenship. This access fosters individual stewardship and provides the funding necessary to properly manage wildlife resources in a sustainable manner. "

I feel that way too... however the State of Washington says specifically that hunting and fishing are not rights but privileges, and can be taken away at anytime for any reason..

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 08:56:05 PM »
Well if you can win them every year they are not OIL tags..
Just saying..
I understand your stance somewhat though
If its brown knock it down

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 09:03:39 PM »
I used to think that OIL tag auctions raised essential money for conservation and are a necessary tool. My opinion has changed. After the Bullwinkle episode, it occurs to me that these auctions are just another in a long series of nails in the coffin of public hunting's future. We're losing more land to leases and pay to play every year. The animal rights people collect more and more money for litigation which seeks to further regulate and restrict us, and to eventually end our heritage. And we now have lopsided legislatures, commissions, and "scientific" panels which have forgotten the reasons that our wildlife is abundant - the efforts of hunters which brought the wildlife back. Their successes in ending hounding and baiting, and introducing multiple apex predators are aimed at taking us out. And it's effective.

Long story short, I'd like to see all OIL auctions ended in WA. Although I get it - if you're rich, you've likely worked hard to get where you are and afford some of those things. But undermining our game management system by catering to a given class of people is stupid. What say you?

I agree P-man....except for the bold part. A lot of folks have worked hard their whole lives and still can not afford to spend that kind of dough. The garbage collector guy, construction dude, septic pumper, grocery store clerks, fruit pickers, etc...all work very hard, and with out them, the rest of us would be lost. These people are no less deserving than the ones who worked hard (in the right fields, and with some luck maybe) and make extraordinary $$$.

Do away with the auctions, and limit the amount of entries for raffle tags, make it fair and reasonable to ALL.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 10:07:14 PM »
I'm good with the auctions. I'm not ok with people "buying" the raffles. Maybe that's a different thread, and maybe it's not.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 06:14:07 AM »
I could get on board with that.  Have one of the two unlimited?  Raffle tags are limited at 10, 50, 100???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 06:17:29 AM »
For clarity - are you referring to the Raffle Drawings and Governor Tags?
Governor tags - anything that's auctioned.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]