collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best 2 weeks to elk hunt in September?  (Read 4070 times)

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Best 2 weeks to elk hunt in September?
« on: April 05, 2017, 07:39:25 PM »
What's everyone's approach to planning vacation time off for the state's that have 30 day long seasons such as Oregon and Idaho?  If you have two weeks off work what weeks in September would you plan on going?

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Best 2 weeks to elk hunt in September?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 07:44:00 PM »
The last 2 weeks of the season in oregon, Sept 10 thru 24th
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline chester

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 07:44:20 PM »
Sept 10-24 this year should be the best.
Dilligaf

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 07:59:59 PM »
Ahh, the age old question. I see this question all the time in various hunting forums. It usually goes something like "when is the best week in September to hunt archery elk to maximize my success/opportunities in (insert mountain elk state here)"? I certainly understand hunters wanting to maximize their valuable time off from work and days spent in the elk woods with stick and string. What's the answer? It depends as each phase of the elk rut offers various and unique opportunities. It seems lone bull encounters are more prevalent in early September as the boys are cruising for the girls (herding up activity). Testosterone levels have risen in the bulls and they gravitate towards the gals (suddenly, those ladies don't seem all that bad and just perhaps, they are worth hanging out with). A few cows may come into their estrus cycle (early) during this period. This can certainly be a very exciting time to be out with your buddy, attempting to call in bulls. As the second week rolls around, herding activity is really somewhat settling down as the "initial" herd bulls have established their groups, love sick juvenile bulls are engaged in covert cow stealing operations from established herds, and challenging/advertising bugles ring throughout the drainages. Again, a few more cows are coming into their estrus cycle (and as we all know, the rut is all about the ladies). The third week is when the majority of the cows come into their estrus cycle; this means "hot cows" which can launch serious competitive encounters with the boys. It is oftentimes during the third week that I see some of the big honkers come in and kick the former herd bulls to the curb; the former herd bulls now become satellites on the prowl for either their former group, or, a new group to tend. The fourth week in September brings activity similar to the third week but not at quite at the same level. All this said, whatever week you and your hunting partner(s) can collectively work out to head into the elk woods is a good week to go!; just tailor your tactics to what is occurring during that part of the archery elk season.
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Fullabull

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 10:13:29 PM »
I'm going to Idaho for the 15_30. Was there during that time and had a great time. Heard elk every day.

Offline Gonehuntin01

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, DU
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 10:46:36 AM »
I have been bowhunting elk in eastern Oregon for the last 33 years and I agree exactly with what WapitiTalk1 has posted.  He is spot on.  I have hunted early and late and have had the best success on the bigger bulls on the 3rd week of the season.  I have killed bulls early and late, but seen the most activity of big bulls the 3rd week.

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 06:17:57 PM »
If the drive to your hunting area is 8 to 10 hours or less I'm a fan of hunting the second week going back to work for a week to let the body recover a little and head back for another week at the end.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 07:18:07 PM »
The fact that you have two weeks is probably important than specific dates. Being in the woods for consecutive days is golden in my experience. I'd rather have ten of the crappiest days than two of the better ones
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 07:54:11 PM »
Another factor is how you plan to hunt. If sitting in a stand, earlier can be more productive because they could be more in summer mode as well as closer to water sources. If spot and stalk, later is "generally" better because they tend to be more vocal. I would also take into consideration the moon phases.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Elknut1

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 06:33:43 AM »
Because you have two weeks to hunt about anytime would be great in Sept. Adjust tactics for the phase you're hunting & you'll think like an elk! Personally I look for when full moon overlaps the rut, best time to be in the woods!

ElkNut1

Offline hogslayer

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 08:06:09 AM »
Elknut1, What would be your ideal week this year?  Full moon is Sep 6th?  Seems pretty early rut to me. 

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 08:05:25 PM »
The fact that you have two weeks is probably important than specific dates. Being in the woods for consecutive days is golden in my experience. I'd rather have ten of the crappiest days than two of the better ones

I agree with this.  You will get a lot more "Action" towards the end of September, but your odds of killing a monster can actually be better early.  Too many opportunities are missed in the early rut, because people break down mentally when pounding the brush all day without a single response to your calls.  Stay tough mentally, and don't stop calling.  That being said, If I could pick 2 weeks I would choose September 13th -27th.   :IBCOOL:

Offline Elknut1

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 06:47:17 AM »
hogslayer, I'm a terrible guy to ask that, heck I like all of Sept. (grin) We take bulls from the 1st to the last day of the month! Most are taken from Sept 8-25 so I'm not too partial! With the full moon it seems to be as bright 5 days before & 5 days after peak full moon as long as it's not a cloudy/rainy day. I'd definitely be hunting the full moon times this year for sure, bulls will be bugling at night to daylight giving their positions away. That's exactly what we look & listen for when especially hunting thick dark timber where they are hunted by sound more than anything else.

We hunt about all OTC DIY public lands with a rare draw hunt tossed in so we are generally after 5 & 6 points, not real concerned with looking for anything special in those areas.

This photo of these 3 bulls were taken Sept 9 thru 14 -- All during full moon times. These bulls were all located about an hour before daylight with bugling on our part for location. Once located we shouldered our packs & went after them. All 3 were called in & taken with trad gear.

ElkNut1

Offline Duckgtr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Active Duty USMC
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 11:16:53 AM »
These bulls were all located about an hour before daylight with bugling on our part for location. Once located we shouldered our packs & went after them. All 3 were called in & taken with trad gear.

ElkNut1

I bought your book and CD glad to see that what you said here is also in your book as well, It really gives me high hopes this season after reading it!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]