collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lions, Bear and Wolves Oh My!  (Read 6656 times)

Offline Cab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Lions, Bear and Wolves Oh My!
« on: April 07, 2017, 03:06:53 PM »
So I had a question for all the backcountry hunters on here. Do you ever worry about lions, bears or wolves while either hunting or camping(if so any tips)? I dont have a lot of experience camping or hunting TRUE backcountry(mostly hunted off public logging roads back on the east coast) and wanted to hear from experienced WA hunters. Thanks and happy Fri to everyone

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
Re: Lions, Bear and Wolves Oh My!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 03:14:00 PM »
It's terrifying out there with all those preditors in the woods.  :hunt2:

Key word in your sentence, hunting, you have a weapon with you, if archery carry a sidearm. Keep a clean camp, i.e. food up high etc.

Bears may come by for a sniff while your sleeping, cats really don't want to be around you, wolves don't like humans either, so in camp I wouldn't worry about them. But out and about in wolf country keep good situational awareness you'll be fine.  :tup:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 03:22:59 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Boss, I was more worried about camping then anything and I think you covered that really well. :tup:

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 03:23:31 PM »
In the first 50 years of my life I did not worry about predators and rarely carried a gun when guiding hunters or when hiking alone on the mountain. But the predator footprint is increasing every year now, this state does not manage most big predators and welcomes increasing numbers of large predators with open arms, all these big predators need more and more food. In the past I have told people that most animals are afraid of humans but I no longer feel that way. In the last several years members on this forum have been stalked by wolves, my son has been stalked by wolves, my neighbor shot a wolf leaping at him in self defense (documented by WDFW), in the last few years we've had hunters stalked at close range by cougars 4 times, and numerous residents where i live shot cougars off their porches this winter.

My advice is to keep a firearm or pepper spray very close at all times (especially in a tent at night) when in areas with large predators.  :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 03:56:09 PM »
If you don't "pack" in town it's laughable to pack in the woods. Assessing actual risk to your life is a lost art. A fire extinguisher, CO detector and fewer French fries would up your odds of survival far more. :chuckle:
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 04:41:21 PM »
Back country or even out the back porch. I always carry I have had a couple times that a handgun has saved me from a poor outcome. It's always better to have it and not need it then need it and wish you had it. The weight of a handgun isn't going to break most hunters. I have never had first hand with cougars and wolves. I have been into it with bears and boars. I know there is a couple guys on here that have been mauled by bears and had to fire shots to keep from a aggressive bear getting to them.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline hunter_sean08

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 04:56:56 PM »
I'd just say be aware of your surroundings. I'm always a little wary if it's the first time I've been in the woods in a while. I think in most areas, the predators are more scared of you. Things are of course changing in certain parts of WA where wolves are starting to populate, but carrying a gun with you should definitely ease your mind to a point. Perhaps the most dangerous situation you could get yourself into is if you bump into Mama Bear and her cubs, and that's going to be pretty darn rare (never impossible though). A close second would be surprising a predator in close quarters, where they feel the need to defend themselves. I will say that the few black bears I've been within 100 yards of immediately took off in the opposite direction once they saw me.

Cats are very elusive and really don't want anything to do with you unless they're desperately hungry (usually when they're really young or over the hill). Regardless, I find myself checking my back from time to time because I know they are around. I'm probably over cautious, but oh well. With that said, the only cougar I ever saw was crossing the road in front of me hundreds of miles from my deer hunting spot. My Dad has been hunting for nearly 40 years and still has yet to see one. He's put a lot of miles on his boots during that time.

I have no advice for wolves other than be prepared if you're hunting in their country. I did find myself in the middle of a pack of coyotes on a kill site once while I was elk hunting. They were not pleased I was there to say the least. I slowly backed away, which was good enough for them. Had they been wolves, who knows what may have transpired...

Long story short, you'll probably have an encounter with a predator at some point, the end result being them high-tailing it to the next county. Encounters should never discourage you from getting out in the woods, but be prepared to defend yourself if it ever gets to that point. One more suggestion for you, try to avoid reading the "Bear Attack!" books (I made that up but you get the point). Better yet, don't let your kids read them either. I read a bunch of those when I was a kid and it resulted in me being a nervous wreck in the woods for my first few hunts.

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 09:55:22 PM »
My experience may be different from others. I've been 4 yards from sow and cub black bear, 7 yards from a cougar eating a porcupine, and 15 yards from a wolf. I didn't intend any of those, had no gun, and wouldn't change those situations. I still don't carry while archery hunting. That doesn't mean someone who counsels you to carry is wrong.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 10:08:28 PM »
I believe the risk of being attacked by a cougar or black bear in Washington is small. I personally don't worry about it but there is no harm in carrying a weapon or bear spray.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 10:20:06 PM »
For sure it's a small chance. Sadly it does happen. My dad went to school with a girl who's sister was killed and partially eaten by a black bear here in Washington.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline 10thmountainarcher

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 03:34:32 AM »
"I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it" a sentence I live by. Just like the victims of crime, no one sets out with the intention to be victimized, it just happens. Why not be prepared at all times for most any situation?

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 07:50:32 AM »
I figured the chances of having a run in with a cat/bear/wolf was pretty slim until i got up from a short nap in the woods and was looking a big kitty in the eye at 20ft. Makes a guy a little nervous after that. Wonder how much they're around and you never see them?

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 09:50:14 AM »
Along the lines of
" I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it "

Another saying I live in the back country

" Prepare for the worst and hope for the best "

I never used to carry in the woods whether hiking or bow hunting but I always carry now whether in the back country or in the city
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 11:38:54 AM »
There are two-legged threats in the woods, too. Those are mostly the ones for which I'm armed. Never had any problem with the 4-legged ones. Illegal grows, transients, crazy people. A relative of mine knows a family who's daughter was axed to death in CO on a back country camping trip.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Alpine Mojo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 05:56:12 PM »
Leave a clean camp and a dead fire and you have nothing to worry about.
Friend: "Are you free tonight?"
Me:  (Gazing into the distance as a bald eagle screeches)  "I'm always free"

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 06:16:44 PM »
Leave a clean camp and a dead fire and you have nothing to worry about.

Much less to worry about. I don't know about nothing though

Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 06:34:49 PM »
You have to worry about this ,lion wolf bear,mix breed eating you while you sleep.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 08:29:28 PM »
I always carry, but a lot more for the two legged trash than anything else.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 05:12:23 PM »
In the first 50 years of my life I did not worry about predators and rarely carried a gun when guiding hunters or when hiking alone on the mountain. But the predator footprint is increasing every year now, this state does not manage most big predators and welcomes increasing numbers of large predators with open arms, all these big predators need more and more food. In the past I have told people that most animals are afraid of humans but I no longer feel that way. In the last several years members on this forum have been stalked by wolves, my son has been stalked by wolves, my neighbor shot a wolf leaping at him in self defense (documented by WDFW), in the last few years we've had hunters stalked at close range by cougars 4 times, and numerous residents where i live shot cougars off their porches this winter.

My advice is to keep a firearm or pepper spray very close at all times (especially in a tent at night) when in areas with large predators.  :twocents:

This is dead on especially in the NE corner.  I've had more hair-raising situations in the last 5 years than all the previous seasons combined.   Last year I had 7 different black bears, a couple of cats, wolves, and a sow Grizzly with two cubs all on a single game camera.  We had wolves howling around us as we boned out my Bull elk.  They followed us off the mountain howling the whole time.  Not a good feeling with a dying headlamp, and 100#'s of fresh meat on your back.  :yike:   I always pack a pistol right on my Pack belt.  It really is somewhat of a mental thing, but sure helps me enjoy myself more.  All that being said, you will be in far more danger driving down the road to your hunting spot.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 07:17:34 AM »
I didn't worry much until the last few years.  I don't know that the predator population changed or if I'm just getting older and thinking more about longevity.  I carry bear spray almost all the time and usually have a gun. 

The one time I needed (cougar attack) I had neither. 

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 07:29:16 AM »
Does the lion, wolf, bear perch on brick walls because of it's eye placement in it's skull??

Can it only look down?

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 07:34:11 AM »
Are you talking about the pic I put on this topic ,i think that's a bear at the zoo ,that has it's hair shaved to look like a lion. :chuckle:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 11:26:54 AM »
Chances are slim being attacked by a cougar or bear in WA, but anything can happen. My dad shot a big female cougar at 10 or less yards that was stalking him. We have been hunting 20+ years in that area. It was the first cougar we have seen or killed. My brother shot a Tom a few hours later as well. 2 cats in one day, who would of thought of it.
Instagram @dmoua_outdoors

Youtube channel DMOUA OUTDOORS
https://www.youtube.com/user/YeXuSsOlDiEr

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2017, 11:36:56 AM »
To the OP,

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  That is different from being (like others have said) aware of your surroundings/environment.  Your odds are much greater of being killed or injured driving to that location than what you do there.  That being said, we all drive and most of us wear seat belts. 

I see some folks so scared that it takes away from them the ability to enjoy their experience.  They get jumpy when a coyote howls and automatically assume that they must have just killed something.  Have a plan, be prepared and have fun  :tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 05:20:09 PM »
Bear/pepper spray is my go to weapon for up close encounters, and have it in a holster on my chest at all times ready to depress.  I also pack a sidearm in archery season as backup to the bear spray.  One spot we like to hunt we get regularly stalked by mountain lion.  We backpack up the mountain in the dark to set up backcountry camp as we know the trail well now and in archery season it's much cooler to go in at night instead of heat of the day, and we also hike in/out to our favorite backcountry hunting spots from camp in the dark.  The last handful of years we've had a cat come as close as 10 yards.  Brave little suckers, won't move til you walk up closer to them.  They're mostly curious, have never approached us from closer than 10 yards.  One followed us up the hiking trail last year the entire way in the dark, staying about 30-40 yards back the entire time....kept turning around and lighting up those green eyes to check on him.  Freaked out my hunting partner last year pretty good getting followed for 3.5 miles, but as it's a yearly occurrence now I'm getting used to it (I was freaked the first time it happened too).

Never had any issues with black bear in the backcountry.  They're more afraid of us in my experience.  Every time I see one they run like heck (I don't know maybe I just stink bad).  Have yet to encounter wolves or griz while hunting (only while hiking in Yellowstone).

Carry bear spray, and if archery a backup sidearm, and enjoy nature.   

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2017, 05:28:48 PM »
If you come across a big cat in the backcountry, lay behind a log and scratch your finger on said log and say "kitty, kitty, kitty".. when he gets close, bonk him on the head.  For big dogs (wolves), upon seeing them too close for comfort, pick up and throw a stick... when he goes to get it, whistle and call "here boy, here boy".. when he brings it to you and drops it at your feet, bonk him on the head. For bear, unfortunately you have to have a picnic basket in your pack... Set the picnic basket on the ground, hide behind a log, and when Yogi comes up to steal the basket, (yep) bonk him on the head.  Those are simple tried and true methods for dealing with big predators in the backcountry.   8)

Seriously, as others have said, be aware of your surroundings and you won't have any issues.  Most big cats that come close to humans are oftentimes youngsters (dumb) and just curious.  I do carry a big bore pistol usually in big brown bear country particularly when going back in on a kill.  Just shoot the wolves if you see em close enough; I'm sure they were getting ready to attack  :chuckle:.     

Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 09:42:23 AM »
If I have a cat following me at 10 yards.  I'm not holding my ________ (whatever you brought for that situation).  I would have no intention of getting used to it as that is not a distance you would have time to do much should they choose to differ from your prior experiences.  :twocents:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand