collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Salt Licks for deer  (Read 11464 times)

Offline muleracks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Salt Licks for deer
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 10:04:05 AM »
For the lazy archery hunter in early September; piss on a bush near camp.   It will take some hunting skill to get the "trophy" buck but young 3x2 and 3x3 will be joining the does and fawns at your bush in camp.  This is true in the high mountains on the east side of the Cascades.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 10:13:49 AM »
Hhhhmmm
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 10:52:27 AM »
Go to the feed store and get mixing salt, trace mineral, and dicalcium phospate. I mix at 1:1:1 ratio in a 5 gallon bucket. Mix it into the soil as best you can with a rake or shovel. I try to get mine out as early in the spring as possible, seems the rain helps it absorb and gives it more staying power. I've got craters dug into the ground where I use it. You get 150lbs for about 30 dollars too, and it seems "trophy" bucks like it too...

<-----at least this guy did ;)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:16:16 AM by Doublelunger »

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 01:23:09 PM »
Had a couple 20 lb. Trophy Rocks out on the property since late 2015.   The deer and possibly the elk, licked them down to pratically a small flat rock you might have skipped across the water as a kid.  A couple weeks ago I started trying out some of the Imperial Whitetail mineral products, i.e 30-06, 30-06 plus protein, and Cutting Edge Optimize.  They offer a mineral sample pack (see link below).

http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/big-mineral-starter-pack/

Wanted to experiment a little so at two different locations I created three holes about 15-20 feet apart and used each of the three products, one in each of the three holes.  I used half of each sample pack(s) for the two different locations.  The first picture below shows the three holes at the first site.  The second photo shows one of the holes where I didn't have to dig as the remnants of the Trophy Rock stimulated the deer to dig it for me. :tup:

The next morning I looked through the binos up on the hill where the site was and there were 5 whitetails.  Two of which were slightly above the site by about 30 feet or so, and the other three each on their own personal mineral hole.  The other mineral site also showed nose marks the next day as well.  Didn't take long.... :chuckle:
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline LeviD1

• Scout
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery, Spokane Rifle Club, RMEF
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 06:52:35 PM »
If your buying mineral make sure to look at the contents. Most mineral blocks labelled for deer or to grow bigger racks are still 97-98% salt. At that point your just buying over priced salt. I found a place that sells 50 lb bags that is 12% phosphorous, 12%calcium, I think if I remember right 35% salt then the rest trace mineral. The animals terrorize that more than anything else I have ever done. Then I throw a 50 lb salt block in the middle.

Offline LeviD1

• Scout
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery, Spokane Rifle Club, RMEF
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 06:59:20 PM »
I forgot to mention, by mid August they are pretty much done hitting the mineral and salt fyi. So it's best to have it out all other times of year more so than the fall even though that's when places push to sell it. Helps recover from winter and I have read during antler growth bucks will essentially rob mineral from other bones however that works to push antler growth and it helps pregnant does from not being deficient. I get a little carried away and feed my deer as soon as I can get to my properties in spring to help keep their energy stores up from winter fat supplies.

Offline hal

• Scout
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 12:30:42 PM »
we use mineral licks on all 6 of our cameras. All wildlife enjoy them. Once they find them they continue to come back. We tried food blocks (seeds etc) but the bear will stay with them until there gone.We are in a free range area, so anything that has a strong scent will attract cows. The mineral blocks are exempt from the new baiting laws as well.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2017, 07:48:19 AM »
The white deer cane blocks work great, that's all I use when I put my game cameras out.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2017, 07:49:03 AM »
The white deer cane blocks work great, that's all I use when I put my game cameras out in the spring.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2017, 08:22:53 AM »
Pregnant and lactating does hit my selenium blocks that I have out for my cattle but nothing else will.  They won't touch regular trace blocks. Our soil lacks selenium.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 09:40:05 AM »
Pregnant and lactating does hit my selenium blocks that I have out for my cattle but nothing else will.  They won't touch regular trace blocks. Our soil lacks selenium.

90ppm selenium loose or block form is our go to. I read somewhere it increases production rate of deer. Like more twins and triplets?
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2017, 11:33:09 AM »
I have it out year round and last year we had a huuuuge acorn crop.  The does would go from the selenium block to acorns then back to the block.  They loved it and the fawns were as healthy as I have ever seen.  The bucks loved the acorns as well but wouldn't touch the blocks.  We have seen an increase of twins and one set of triplets.

Offline Gabat26

• Pilgrim
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2018, 05:51:00 AM »
Instead of salt licks I use the liquid attractant. This's a mix of sweet acorn and molasses which is enriched with minerals. Deer always hear it and come back for more.
Best description of the best deer attractants

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 10:41:30 AM »
While exploring along the RXR tracks in the woods up by Stampede Pass, I came upon an old RXR salt storage shed (must use the salt on the tracks as it's on a pretty good RXR grade).
The deer had opened the door and had the 50 LB salt sacks chewed up pretty good. They had dug down in the ground to get at the left over salt out in front of the shed.
 If that wasn't enough, just down the tracks was the old train accident site where a couple of boxcars loaded with wheat, had left the tracks. I looked like the Railroad just bulldozed dirt over the spilled grain, but that didn't stop the deer from getting to it.  Bear tracks too, as they had dug down to get at the grain, (just visible about 3 feet under but lots of it left.
 There were plenty of fresh tracks on the trails, leading in from all directions. Wow! What a place for a stand.
(By the smell of the fermenting grain underground, I suspect the Critters would make for easy targets, if you can still get them to "STAND UP STRAIGHT".)  :tup:  :chuckle:
 Doug
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 03:19:08 AM by AL WORRELLS KID »
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline TikkaT3-270Shortmag

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 02:06:05 PM »
The deer will be all over them when in the velvet and early spring.  Once horns get hard they dont hit the salt as often. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]