collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How to get out of the 90-10 rule  (Read 13439 times)

Offline highside74

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
Re: How to get out of the 90-10 rule
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 08:24:00 AM »
 Bobbyg, I have no problem telling my success rate. I've been hunting elk for 12 years. I'm 2 for 5 on bulls in the last five and 3 for 12 overall. I've past smaller bulls that I've had shot opportunities on 2 of those 12 and passed shots on cows 3 of those 12 and 1 year had my biggest bull opportunity at 5 yards with no shot. So I'm 25% on bull kills and 75% on opportunity.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 08:42:25 AM by highside74 »

Offline WSU

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 08:28:56 AM »
I'm probably not in the ten percent but probably get an elk every two or three years.  Perhaps somewhere in between two and three years on average. 

The biggest factor for me is time.  You can't just hunt weekends and hope to have any regular success.  I'm generally successful when I can devote a lot of time to hunting and scouting.  Lately, with a business, 3 little kids, etc., I've had less time available and generally been less successful. 

Offline hunter_sean08

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 08:39:13 AM »
One thing most of us have to take into account is time. Which season are you committed to the most in a given year? Not all of us can take a whole month off for hunting, so typically sacrifices have to be made. For me, mule deer camp is a family tradition and we hunt the entire modern season because it's a hunt we're consistently good at and we enjoy the heck out of it. With that said, we don't get to spend as much time chasing elk, which is fine, but it doesn't usually result in a high rate of success. If one member of my party can fill an elk tag, it's a successful season. On the flipside, if you dedicate a lot of your time off to your elk hunt, you'll have a much better chance of getting that dividend. Remember that you can have all of the fancy tools and clothes in the world, but if you're not actually putting in the time, you're not going to consistently fill tags.

If you're limited on the amount of days you can actually hunt, make sure you take at least a couple of weekends in the summer to find out where the animals are. They may not be in the exact same spot come hunting season, but chances are they won't be far unless you're in unit subject to migratory patterns and said migration has started. Get off the roads and jump into the deep dark timber. Find the watering holes and wallows. Find their trails. Have a plan and execute that plan. Not all is lost if you can only hunt for a few days.

Offline SilkOnTheDrySide

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 10:01:14 AM »
I think drinking copious amounts of whiskey in camp is vital during elk season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 10:34:30 AM »
So do all of the 10%.  :chuckle:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 10:46:53 AM »
" It aint about how hard you hard you hit, its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward."

This quote from rocky sums up my take on it. It seems no matter how much I shoot, how many miles of training I log, how many scouting hours I have put in, How dialed my equipment is. At some point in the majority of my elk hunts I hit a point where throwing in the towel seems like a reasonable option. Weather, wind, blown stalks, other hunter pressure, horse wrecks, truck trouble, broken gear, broken body, broken mind. Keep moving forward, till the season is over or a bull is down.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 10:53:55 AM »
" It aint about how hard you hard you hit, its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward."

This quote from rocky sums up my take on it. It seems no matter how much I shoot, how many miles of training I log, how many scouting hours I have put in, How dialed my equipment is. At some point in the majority of my elk hunts I hit a point where throwing in the towel seems like a reasonable option. Weather, wind, blown stalks, other hunter pressure, horse wrecks, truck trouble, broken gear, broken body, broken mind. Keep moving forward, till the season is over or a bull is down.

This is basically why I said time is important.  It seems like it takes quite a few encounters to seal the deal.  Add in all the other issues and time becomes critical.

Offline Todd_ID

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 11:05:17 AM »

Some may not want to post this but if you have a pile of advice let us know how you have done the last x number of years 1 for 5, or 5 for 5.

Just helps put some context behind all the advice as it seems much of it conflicts.  I am sure there are times where noisy versus stealth make sense, as well as patience over pressuring.

Good point. I got 2 last year. Three the year before. One the year before. Two the year before, etc. I guess I average 2 a year: and probably average 1.25 cows per 1 bull. That's hunting 3 states and buying second tags as much as I can, but it feeds a lot of families.
I'm not at all opposed to shooting a cow. Those tags are only approved in areas that can support the harvest.

I guess that's another tip to increase success is to not rule out hunting areas where cow harvest is legal. They're pretty tasty.
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

Offline Todd_ID

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 11:14:24 AM »
Knowing when you've got a shot and when you should wait is pretty big, too. You'll only get that "I needed one more step for a clear shot" step about 1 in 8 times. Take the first shot you know you can make.
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

Offline snarkybull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 12:19:54 PM »
Learn the behavior of the animals.  Not just as a species, but locally.  If they go through a specific spot frequently, you can bet they will walk right through it in the 13 days of archery season.  Be patient. 

Cow calls can mask a noisy stalk.

Cows fill the freezer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

How long til elk season?!??

Online jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2017, 12:24:25 PM »
I personally get as far away as I can from the roads and other people. Stay out all day. I have people I hunt with who will go back to the truck or camp for lunch. So they wont be to far away. I think this makes me in the above group. They always give me crap when I kill something it is miles away from the truck. I tell them just come along and you will already be out here with me. Be prepared to spend the night. Extra stuff.

Offline LeviD1

• Scout
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery, Spokane Rifle Club, RMEF
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2017, 07:44:29 PM »
What about scents? What are your guys views who do regularly kill elk on estrous or your scents?

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2017, 07:48:16 PM »
I've never used scents of any kind,Use to smoke 2 packs a day and now don't smoke at all.Never saw any difference there either.I always do have a campfire and have been told it covers scent very well and is pretty natural in the animals everyday life.  :twocents:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Online jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2017, 08:23:19 PM »
I don't use sents . I did in the past don't think it did much but make me stink. I get the wind right and work my way in. Sometimes you have to run in and sometimes you have to be stealthy.

Offline BoneCollector1

• Tracker
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2017, 08:56:49 PM »
Effort is the only thing that will get you in the 10 percent club ! That's it ! Read every book you can. Surround yourself with people who are in the 10 percent club.  Show me your crowd and I'll show you your future. Don't ever ever quit. It only takes one opportunity per season. You don't know exactly when that opp will present itself. If you quit though because the hunting is tough, you'll remain in the 90 percent club.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal