collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Washington Regs have been posted  (Read 6626 times)

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Washington Regs have been posted
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 02:26:26 PM »
Based on those statistics archers killed twice as many cows compared to modern  and muzzleloaders combined. I have nothing against archery I just feel if they want to reduce opportunity to harvest cows it should be done in all user gcoups.
It's a numbers game.  Take a look at how many bulls the archery guys took in comparison to the MF and muzzleloader guys combined.

You can use the numbers to argue either side.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 02:26:55 PM »
Based on those statistics archers killed twice as many cows compared to modern  and muzzleloaders combined. I have nothing against archery I just feel if they want to reduce opportunity to harvest cows it should be done in all user gcoups.

:yeah: I totally agree with you. I have nothing against archery either, but it makes me sick that they allow them to shoot a antlerless cow without a permit quota in place. I think what many are saying its harder for archery to kill an elk. But the above stats prove that wrong and the fact that technology has evolved over time (ie trail cams) :twocents:

Not to mention all the stick and release cows that die... I hear the stories every year

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 02:31:56 PM »

:yeah: I totally agree with you. I have nothing against archery either, but it makes me sick that they allow them to shoot a antlerless cow without a permit quota in place. I think what many are saying its harder for archery to kill an elk. But the above stats prove that wrong and the fact that technology has evolved over time (ie trail cams) :twocents:

Not to mention all the stick and release cows that die... I hear the stories every year
Oh boy, here we go.

I have property right in the heart of these units and see I plenty of archery, muzzleloader and modern firearm left for dead elk each year.  No user group is free of that type of thing.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline buglebrush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2017, 03:15:09 PM »

It is much much harder to harvest an elk with Archery equipment.  The old saying " 90% of the elk are killed by the same 10% of hunters" has a bearing here.  Generally speaking people who choose Archery are the more Experienced / Dedicated hunters meaning that Archers will take a disproportionate amount of elk.  If you would put those same hunters in the field with another weapon they would still kill an elk almost every year.   Of course there are fantastic hunters out there during Modern season, but I do believe that this holds true for the average users.   :twocents: :twocents:

Offline crabcreekhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2017, 05:14:38 PM »
I dont believe that archers/archery hunters are better or more dedicated in anyway whatsoever over modern or muzzle loader.  I wont say what i really want to say since all hunters are a positive and working for the same things.  On that note, I wish cow tags were more distributed throughout weapon types, than unlimited for archery and 10 for modern in some units, thats bs!!  Im glad to see a cut in tags, if it is in fact what is needed for our elk and deer herds.
"Courage is simply fear that has said its prayers"

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 06:31:29 PM »

Not trying to start a fight, but would you apply that exact same logic to the bull harvest, which is 9 times as great for modern and muzzle (combined 700) compared to archery bull harvest (78)?  Limit the modern and muzzle shooters to shooting spikes only if they draw a permit?  Yikes!

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 11:59:12 PM »
I dont believe that archers/archery hunters are better or more dedicated in anyway whatsoever over modern or muzzle loader.  I wont say what i really want to say since all hunters are a positive and working for the same things.  On that note, I wish cow tags were more distributed throughout weapon types, than unlimited for archery and 10 for modern in some units, thats bs!!  Im glad to see a cut in tags, if it is in fact what is needed for our elk and deer herds.

Don't forget that my comment was about the average hunter.  I'm curious if you really believe that the same percentage of gun hunters are hardcore as archers?   If​ you stop personalizing it, I believe you'll agree that most road hunters, weekend warriors, and beginners are rifle hunters just because it is easiest.  That's not a knock on those that are hardcore, and their weapon of choice is a rifle.  Fact is almost all current archers started out as rifle hunters.  :twocents:

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2017, 02:00:40 AM »
anyone notice the extreme drop in cow tags?  odds will be worse than bull tags.
This information has been out for awhile.  They have to publish their proposed changes prior to meeting to approve.

They are claiming winter kill for the changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2017, 06:57:19 AM »
They should remove all cow tags.

Offline Hi-Liter

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2017, 08:54:35 AM »
 :yeah: Yep that would be good. I always figured when cow tag in November your not killing one but likely two.

Offline crabcreekhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2017, 09:15:23 AM »

Don't forget that my comment was about the average hunter.  I'm curious if you really believe that the same percentage of gun hunters are hardcore as archers?   If​ you stop personalizing it, I believe you'll agree that most road hunters, weekend warriors, and beginners are rifle hunters just because it is easiest.  That's not a knock on those that are hardcore, and their weapon of choice is a rifle.  Fact is almost all current archers started out as rifle hunters.  :twocents:
Percentage wise per user group you are probably correct but percentage wise as a whole as a hunting community I think modern has more but our definitions of hardcore may be different.  Have good friends that are both depending on seasons.  I feel more youth are starting out into archery and young rifle hunters (not hardcore) are making the switch to archery due to longer seasons and better season dates.  Either way, archers made their choice and rifle made their choice, if I dont like my seasons I can always switch too.  Its always a give and take in this populated state anyways, good luck this upcoming season.
"Courage is simply fear that has said its prayers"

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2017, 12:34:43 PM »
I personally don't believe the cow numbers for rifle and or muzzy hunters. I bet there are people who said they didn't harvest a cow. I archery hunt those units and if I rifle hunted it would have been a piece of cake.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2017, 02:18:37 PM »
I think guys get the cow tags and figure its a slam dunk. Based on the #'s of cow tags given, guys that never stepped foot in units thought with that many cow tags there must be that many more elk. But every year guys get on here looking for intel on where to kill a cow. I run into guys every year in the field looking for cows cause they cant seem to find em.  I've had two cow tags in the last 4 years and had to work to fill them both, and I know the areas I hunt. I'm glad they reduced the tags, they should of never increased them in the first place. It was all about $$$$.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]