collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Road trip advice  (Read 3338 times)

Offline metlhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Road trip advice
« on: April 25, 2017, 07:23:31 PM »
So, I'm in the planning stage for a trip this October. The dog and I will be rolling out for ten days to SE Montana for sharpies and huns and maybe pheasant. I have researched quite a bit of land to hunt, so not looking for areas. I would like to pull my 20' travel trailer and boondock it, hunting where I park, or very close. I have spent time in Nebraska, and know when to avoid certain roads. Have any of you any advice on the realities or items I may need that often get overlooked?

Offline constructeur

• Hunter
  • Groups: NAVHDA
Re: Road trip advice
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 08:52:30 AM »
I'd just make sure the rig is dialed in; it always seems like a wheel bearing, belt, pinhole in a hard to get to radiator hose is what happens on a trip like this...

..for the dog I'd have one of those porcupine bite tools so that I could pull quills myself if the encounter is light enough. I'd also have any and all vet options written down and numbers in my phone at the ready.

I know were a long ways out still, but make sure you post a trip report when you get back  :IBCOOL:

Offline Cab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 02:53:00 PM »
One thing that I find people never bring or forget to bring that is one of the most useful tools is a Gazetteer. I don't know why but for some reason this gets over looked. I always have one of these in my truck for whatever state I'm hunting. I say this because it allows you to game plan on the fly, no cell service needed and it has so much useful info. I never hunted sharpies or huns so I can't speak to that but you can't go wrong with a gaze in the truck.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 03:12:39 PM »
One thing that I find people never bring or forget to bring that is one of the most useful tools is a Gazetteer. I don't know why but for some reason this gets over looked. I always have one of these in my truck for whatever state I'm hunting. I say this because it allows you to game plan on the fly, no cell service needed and it has so much useful info. I never hunted sharpies or huns so I can't speak to that but you can't go wrong with a gaze in the truck.

:yeah: Probably the easiest tool for finding roads and public land.

MT is pretty easy to camp, I didn't know there was such a thing as reserving a campsite until I moved to WA.  We always just rolled to where we wanted to go and set up shop.

During that time of year, it could be 70 degrees or 10, so take a variety of gear and clothing - and plenty of items to get you through the snow if needed.

Offline cooltimber

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 03:38:26 PM »
come along and chain,saved me a couple times
rvn 69-70 11 b 2p 173rd
rmef
  2 ways to conquer and enslave a nation
      one's by sword,the other is by debt.
               John Adams

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 08:37:51 PM »
Wonderful ideas, thank you. My kids joke about the gazeteer I have kept in my pickup for years. All the routes to dinosaurs and pioneers trails. Never out of service though. Probably hauling a literal ton of equipment. The camping was a big question I had. Just want to park and hunt no mans land. I still enjoy fantastic hunting on the Yak rez, but after thirty five years of the same thing, I really would like to adventure into more open space. My dog is top notch and really deserves to show what he's got.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 07:46:45 AM »
Get a car battery jump starter that has a USB outlet.

Any GPS unit is better than nothing.

Fix a flat.

Large caliber sidearm or at least a high cap gun loaded with buffalo bore.

I would go with someone though. Those forests are huge and you won't be near cell service.

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 10:32:54 AM »
He's hunting in SE Mt very few forests.   He's carrying a shotgun, no need for a big handgun hanging on his belt, one under the pillow at night is comforting.

1.  Vet wrap and duck tape for when your dog wears out his boots, tape scissors is handy for removing quickly.

2.  Udder balm for raw spots on the dogs chest legs and belly and your hands

3.  Order BLM maps for the areas you want to hunt.  They are nice to lay out on the table at night and plan the next day hunt and they are much more accurate for public land boundaries than the gazetteer.

4.  A nice one time purchase, Kirsch outdoors has a 10 state public lands GPS chip that has MT land owner info.  It is really handi in the truck as you don't have to keep looking at a paper map and shows exactly when you drive past boundaries.

5.  +1 on the winch and cable, I carry a big LUG-ALL hand winch and 100+ feet of heavy rope 3/4" synthetic, the isn't always a tree handi.

6. Plenty of extra water in 1 gal jugs.

Check out the little towns around where you hunt many have municipal campgrounds that are really cheap if you just need a break from boondocking.   One town I hunt in has a 6 space camp ground with electric for $10./ night but the first 48hrs are free.  Fairgrounds have inexpensive campsites also.   BLM land is open to camping in MT as long as you stay within 200 ft of the road.

Have fun, I've been doing this alone for many years, partners are a pain to many demands.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 10:57:33 AM »
Northern tool
small solar panel for trailer batteries, loved it best 20 bucks I spent in a while

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660268_200660268
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline AWS

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 12:56:34 PM »
A 2 watt may make a nice maintainer but it isn't much for replenishing deep cycles after running the furnace all night.

We have a 100 watt suitcase one for my wifes motorhome for boon docking.   I mounted a 100 watt panel on my hunting rig for the lights and furnace, I wouldn't go any smaller.  I have a twelve volt charger for my computer and two phone charger outlet on my battery box to keep the phone, wifi hotspot and kindle charged.  I go for months at a time.

Suitcase charger

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Eclipse-Monocrystalline-Suitcase-Controller/dp/B01NADR1CI

Bird hunting in MT

Make mine a Minaska

Offline Forks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA Phes. Forev.
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 05:12:30 PM »
 That dog trailer looks familiar! Was that the first year?

Offline AWS

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 05:49:23 PM »
No, this was the first year.

Make mine a Minaska

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand