collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Your story of your First predator called in.  (Read 1559 times)

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Your story of your First predator called in.
« on: February 22, 2009, 08:33:32 AM »
I figured sharing the stories of our first coyotes/bobcats called in would help others learn from our experiences, and possibly some humor might be revealed!

Well my first coyote called in happened when I was about 19 years old.  I had my girlfriend with me, we went for a drive out in the woods W. of Olympia, and was in an old clearcut that had maybe 10 year old reprod in it, but really spaced out and kind of swampy ground, with lots of grass.  My girlfriend was back in my truck, and I decided I needed to head out into the reprod and give it a shot.  I walked about 200 yards from the truck, stood up on a stump and blew on my dad's old lyman rabbit in distress.  I had a M600 308 with me, loaded and ready to go. 

I really didn't expect anything to happen, as I had called a bunch earlier that morning, and had spent a full day doing the same in prior years.  As I'm standing on this large stump, all of a sudden, not one, two, three, no, SEVEN coyotes come running to within 20 yards of me, they must have been within 200 yards of me in the reprod.  I leveled on the first one and wham, my first coyote that I called in!  I was so proud, shocked, confused with what to do since I had a girlfriend that probably would freak out.  I could see the truck from where I was.  I decided to skin out the pelt right there (had to have some bragging rights for my dad).  When I got back to the truck, she said she was watching me the whole time through the binocs, and would turn away when she saw the muscles of the yote.  Kind of funny.  I finally married that gal and she's got a hunting license now!

That area has a ton of coyotes, but I've never been as fortunate to have an experience with that many coyotes so close to me.  I've had one other time where I called in 14 coyotes in about 5 hours, one of the stands I had 7, but they were so spaced out and this was E. WA and I did not hit a single coyote that day.  I'll blame it on the scope being off, even though that was not the case! ;)

Offline docsven

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: Your story of your First predator called in.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 08:54:47 AM »
First bobcat I ever called in was while turkey hunting in the spring.  I was using a slate call and was getting some response from a couple gobblers.  I decided to move back about 10 yards to put some more cover at my back, and as soon as I settled in, a bobcat came sneaking in to where I had just been.  Never have had that happen again.  Does anyone else use turkey calls for bobcat?

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 09:02:28 AM »
The first time I tried calling coyotes I bought a Primos regulator handcall because it came with a tape on how to call. This was way before predator hunting was so popular. There were no Randy Anderson's back then not to mention all the others. Anyways I called in 4 that day and only got one.

The very first coyote I called flushed a bunch of deer, I was watching the deer through my binoculars for a while and put them down and a coyote was standing about 30 feet right in front of me. I couldn't raise my rifle so it just trotted around looking for where the sound came from. I finally raised my rifle and MISSED.

The second came in from behind and busted us.

The third came in to about 60 yardsor so and I got it. The forth flushed some pheasants and I was ready. It hit our scent trail though and bugged out before I could shoot.

To this day it was one of my best hunts since this was all done before 10 am or so. I was absolutely addicted after that. I went about 2-3 years without calling in another dog but that was back when I didn't hunt them all that often.

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline shoot-em-dead

• non-yar
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 09:35:40 AM »
I was a sportsmans a couple years ago and the guys I was with started talking about predator hunting. I'd gone out with another guy one time and seen a lot of coyotes so I told the story. They joked about me buying a rifle and going out that afternoon. Since I had the money I decided to go for it and I bought a Stevens 22-250 and a Bushnell scope. We went out and sighted it in and the next day I went out and started calling from the top of a canyon. The directions on the package said to blow 2 to 6 times and wait 2 min then repeat. I did this for 30 min or so and was going to leave when I spotted a coyote just sitting on the rocks. I range found him at 220 and nailed him. Just wish I could make it that easy again.
This closet is taken- go find your own

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU