collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Subaru experience?  (Read 13552 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Subaru experience?
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2017, 07:35:41 AM »
If you have a slow oil weep, try replacing the valve cover gasket, grommets, and spark plug boot seals.  Easy and less than about $40 for the set, IIRC.

That'll work well if the valve cover gaskets are seeping. Won't do squat if the head gaskets are leaking.

The head gaskets are known to leak coolant internally in the engine on them. Subaru at one point had a special policy warranty extension on them. I know this because I got my sister in law's done under warranty for her.  I don't recall the specifics on them, but you guys with head gasket leaks should be looking into this.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2017, 07:54:40 AM »
They should have continued the Brat, I knew lots of hunters who owned those, including hound doggers and trappers.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2017, 08:19:25 AM »
If you have a slow oil weep, try replacing the valve cover gasket, grommets, and spark plug boot seals.  Easy and less than about $40 for the set, IIRC.

That'll work well if the valve cover gaskets are seeping. Won't do squat if the head gaskets are leaking.

The head gaskets are known to leak coolant internally in the engine on them. Subaru at one point had a special policy warranty extension on them. I know this because I got my sister in law's done under warranty for her.  I don't recall the specifics on them, but you guys with head gasket leaks should be looking into this.

What years have the head gasket issue?
I thought it was the 2.5l from 2011 and older?
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2017, 09:18:51 AM »

Yeah. Should have been more specific.  Those seals/boots are a common leak, as is the oil cooler. For sure, ID the source before throwing parts at it.

Offline dyhardhuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2017, 09:31:48 AM »
They should have continued the Brat, I knew lots of hunters who owned those, including hound doggers and trappers.
If that's the model with the truck bed on it they still do. My coworker just bought one. We have an '15 outback with the 2.5 in it and it has plenty of power and we average about 29-33mpg on highway. We also added a Yakima carrier for extra room. The road noise isn't too bad and it's comfortable. I drove it up in the gravel roads above salmon,id this summer and it did fine. During snow and ice you can't make that thing spin out. The x-mode is cool and works well plus the back seats fold flat for extra storage and they also recline back a little for those that want to sleep. It's been a great car. We've had a few recalls and the passengers window popped off the track but I've had worse vehicles that needed repair more often. Use the recommended 0w-20 oil and drive it!

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2017, 09:44:29 AM »
They stopped making the Brat in 1994. They made a modEl they called the Baja that was similar from 2003 to 06, but I wasn't aware of a similar model in production now?
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline ribka

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2017, 03:13:24 PM »
http://www.torquenews.com/1084/subaru-settles-oil-consumption-lawsuit?page=1

I would never buy a Subaru

a FRIEND PURCAHSED A 2015 FORESTER AND IT BURN A QUART OF OIL EVERY 2k.

Dealer giving the run around for 2 years and says that is normal for a car to burn that much oil. She found out about the class action suit and brought to dealer's attention and obviously dealer knew as another customer was in the dealership complaining of the same and she overheard dealer knew of lawsuit and kept hush. Subaru wont return calls etc.  Three dealers wont make right and  Filing under lemon law now. 

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2017, 03:25:48 PM »

Dealer giving the run around for 2 years and says that is normal for a car to burn that much oil. She found out about the class action suit and brought to dealer's attention and obviously dealer knew as another customer was in the dealership complaining of the same and she overheard dealer knew of lawsuit and kept hush. Subaru wont return calls etc.  Three dealers wont make right and  Filing under lemon law now.
knock on wood,I bought a 2015 crosstrek brand new,25 k for mileage right now haven't used any oil,we love this rig..I have heard all the horror stories and pray ours  stays good,lots of folks  are buying a  these crosstreks here in farm country,the folks we know haven't had problems either..maybe Subaru
 did something

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2017, 03:32:20 PM »
My 2014 Subaru with over 40,000 miles has never needed a drop of oil added between oil changes, and oil change intervals are 7,500 miles. Just lucky I guess.

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2017, 08:29:09 AM »

Chevy told me the same thing on my 2003 Avalanche.  Burns 2 quarts every 3-4K miles.  That was considered "normal".
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2017, 08:28:41 PM »

Sorry to hear. We love our forester, our soon to be son-in-law has one and our neighbor has one they love. We'll probably all buy again, just today my wife and I were talking about it, she loves this car more than any other car she's ever had.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline EmeraldBullet

• Scout
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2017, 09:21:24 PM »
My 2014 cross trek has never leaked oil. Just under 40,000 miles on it and I've driven it hard. Never had any issues with it actually. I do all the recommended maintenance and change oil every 5k miles, but also have a 100,000 mile/8 year warranty on it. I have no regrets on my Subaru, probs will buy one again (unless it's still running good and want a new 2025 chevy truck.)

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2017, 10:42:57 PM »
I change oil every 3,500 miles on our 2014 Forester.

It's never down enough to top off......

(I would be pissed if I bought a new car and it burnt oil like that.)
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2017, 05:14:42 AM »
I'm driving my future father in laws Subaru in Texas right now. It's ok. I expected it to be roomier. Backseat wasn't very big when we got picked up at airport and the floor of the back hatch was filled with two average sized suitcases. It's a four banger five speed. Gets up to speed ok. Pretty low on power though. Drives ok I guess. Seems small inside for how big the car is outside. 
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2017, 05:21:03 AM »
Sorry for your loss
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]