collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Late start  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Gametaker23

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: Ducks unlimites
Late start
« on: May 01, 2017, 02:18:19 PM »
I've been out the last three weeks on my days off, and have noticed the birds r being silent unlike previous years just curious if the same thing is going on in ur areas as well as ur opinion on what the issue is. Only day I have heard the like normal was last Monday also what r some ways to get them more vocal IV been trying gobbles aggressive clicks and purrs still can't t get one to sound off. Thanks In advance just would like to to better my odds

Offline Cab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Late start
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 04:07:46 PM »
Opening day I heard birds all morning and since then I have heard less and less. This last weekend was PERFECT and not a single gobble :bash:. From what I've seen and heard  it seem like the birds are seriously henned up. Right now they dont need to gobble when every morning the hen is at the base of their tree ready to rock. That being said things should start to change very soon. Hens will be less interested in toms and that will make them fire right up. Right now I talk some and wait to see if something comes in if nothing then I run and gun. I use my normal hen calls but honestly have had some luck with shock gobbles. Crow/raven calls seem to work well for me as I am not a fan of yote calls(dont like the idea of putting the birds on edge). If sitting and calling doesnt work like normal in the morning, run & gun doesn't work then I will do my last option which is to wait till around 10-12ish and to set up like normal. I wait a bit and then do my normal hen calls. The idea is that the hens have gone off to lay an egg and the Toms might be around looking to still bred hens. This is tough because sometimes the toms gobble and sometimes they will come in completely silent. If that doesn't work then I call it a day most of the time. For what its worth I have always killed my birds later in the season.

Offline Gametaker23

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: Ducks unlimites
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 06:28:02 PM »
I have been feeling the same way I feel like the birds r still a few weeks behind and like u said the birds r still henned up I have noticed the cold.mor ings haven't helped either we r still waiting for consistent 60 degree weather last year by this time we had already been in the 70s a d the plant life was much further apart. I def am.not giving up if anything it gives me an excuse to.enjoy gods great creation. Thanks for the return of words and Intel.

Offline Cab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 08:32:56 AM »
I have been feeling the same way I feel like the birds r still a few weeks behind and like u said the birds r still henned up I have noticed the cold.mor ings haven't helped either we r still waiting for consistent 60 degree weather last year by this time we had already been in the 70s a d the plant life was much further apart. I def am.not giving up if anything it gives me an excuse to.enjoy gods great creation. Thanks for the return of words and Intel.

:yeah:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10