collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: moose 10 pts or less?  (Read 28099 times)

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
Re: moose 10 pts or less?
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2017, 12:34:33 PM »
didnt there are sleeper units  except maybe spokane west and hangman maybe  i just look for what i can get around in

If you are lucky enough to draw a tag in any WA unit, filling the tag should be the easy part. Even being handicapped, I have all the faith that you wouldn't have to worry about filling the tag if you're not trophy hunting. Many people on this forum, myself included, would have no problem helping you out if you are one of the few lucky ones to draw. The reality is most bulls are probably killed within a couple hundred yards of the road, so don't hold back or feel like you can't put in for some of the other units if you'd like to. Good luck to you in the draw! :tup:
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline wheels

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2017, 12:53:12 PM »
thats why i love this  place  and i would do some holding out  i put in for what looks like best odds usually  more tags

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2017, 03:47:12 PM »
in 2006 i drew any moose in 49 degree north, unit 117 i believe it was, with 1 point...yes i am "that guy"-sorry  :chuckle:  we spent 3 days before the opener camped in chewelaw and using enduro motorcycles scouting the area.  opening morning we walked in a gated road that we saw an area that bulls had been sparring...ground was all chewed up and patches of moose hair where everywhere.  we jumped a cow and had 2 different moose in the brush at less than 30 yards but couldn't get a clear shot-figured they were bulls but they moved off before i could identify them.  that evening driving to a spot that we had previously scouted a small bull we had a cow cross the road followed by a bull.  he just stood on the side of the road so i figured he was big enough and dropped him with a high shoulder shot from my buddies 338.  he measured 43 1/2 " and with the "pack out" i couldn't resist.  only regret was not shooting him with my bow i had with me as he was only 40 yards away but quartering and loading him into the truck sure was easy.  got him to the butcher and the quarters hung at 550 lbs.  wife wanted to do a shoulder mount but we didn't have enough room in the house so i got a euro.  can't wait for the new house to be completed to hang him back up.  he had a fresh scar down his nose and a broken rib from rutting.  funny thing was one of the guys that was with us scouting had to leave before the hunt and ran into someone at a dinner party who also had that tag.  He told him about the smaller bull we saw and the approximate mile marker on the road.  a couple days later that tag holder was driving up that same road around the same mile marker when he saw a vehicle pulled over.  he got out to see what was going on and the couple in the vehicle was taking pictures of that same bull moose just off the road drinking in the creek.  that tag holder went back to his truck, got his gun and shot that moose right there.  yes it can and does happen with limited points
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline wheels

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2017, 05:47:33 PM »
thats awesome

Offline First timer

• Tracker
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2017, 10:00:11 AM »
I'll have 20 points this year. But have had my cousin draw his first ever year putting in. Another year my dad and brother both got drawn and they weren't partners. You just never know when it's your time to get lucky.

Offline Falcon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2017, 10:39:29 AM »
I'll have 20 points this year. But have had my cousin draw his first ever year putting in. Another year my dad and brother both got drawn and they weren't partners. You just never know when it's your time to get lucky.

First Timer:   With 20 points you are a heck of a lot better off than a guy with just a few points.   
That's 400 ping pong balls in the hopper.  Best of luck👊💥👊
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2017, 11:23:40 AM »
My dad is one of about 4 people who has put in every year since the point system started and still not drawn(any moose)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline First timer

• Tracker
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2017, 12:50:23 PM »
That is true. I've definitely have paid my dues and ready for a permit soon.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2017, 12:53:34 PM »
My dad is one of about 4 people who has put in every year since the point system started and still not drawn(any moose)

Only 4 people? I think there's a whole lot more people than that who have been applying for moose since the point system started and haven't drawn. I'm thinking maybe more like 4 hundred people.

Offline tchoutacabouffa

• Tracker
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2017, 01:06:47 PM »
The reality is most guys/gals will never draw in Washington because there are too many hunters and not enough tags. If you really want to kill a moose, apply in Idaho. The tag and license is around $2350, but I drew a tag my second year applying. Some of there units are better than 1:4 for non-resident draw odds. :twocents:
I drew my first year. In a great unit where only 7 non residents even applied. This unit give a tag to non residents yearly.

Offline wheels

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2017, 02:05:36 PM »
so i guess im in the game either way  looks like ill be going in with 9 this year

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2017, 02:10:23 PM »

Only 4 people? I think there's a whole lot more people than that who have been applying for moose since the point system started and haven't drawn. I'm thinking maybe more like 4 hundred people.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2017, 02:38:58 PM »
My son drew with one point when he was 9yrs old. The odds are always there for you if you keep playing

Offline wheels

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2017, 04:53:29 PM »
BOB did you get that off the wdfw s9ite ?

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2017, 04:55:21 PM »
BOB did you get that off the wdfw s9ite ?
Yes.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]