collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bear Meat  (Read 10277 times)

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Bear Meat
« on: May 04, 2017, 08:57:40 AM »
Does anyone know the rules on packing out bear meat?
Is there a minimum weight of meat required or because they are a predator being managed similar to a wolf, cougar, or coyote is the meat even required to be packed out?
I've seen people on both sides of the fence and since I cannot find anything in the regs I'm just curious.

Offline sumpnz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Bear Meat
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 09:03:17 AM »
Unless it's a bear that's been feeding mostly on spawned out salmon for the last month the meat is edible.  Pretty sure you're required to salvage as much meat as possible just as you would with a deer or elk.  For that matter, the same applies to cougar, as far as I know. 

Thus far we aren't allowed to hunt wolves so their muscle meat is a moot point.  Coyotes are not required to be retained for consumption.

ETA: If I get a bear or a cougar I'm going to pack out as much meat as possible.  If I get a bear it will be one that's been gorging on berries, and should be fantastic eating.  Everything I've heard about cougar is that it is also fantastic eating, like super good pork.  Just cook it (bear and cougar) to 160F internal temp to avoid trichinosis. 

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 09:07:09 AM »
game animal, so take what is fit for consumption.  However, I don't think it is spelled out what meets the rule vs the intent of the law like in Alaska.  Just your opinion vs the gamey about what would be waste.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 09:08:57 AM »
Unless it's a bear that's been feeding mostly on spawned out salmon for the last month the meat is edible.  Pretty sure you're required to salvage as much meat as possible just as you would with a deer or elk.  For that matter, the same applies to cougar, as far as I know. 

Thus far we aren't allowed to hunt wolves so their muscle meat is a moot point.  Coyotes are not required to be retained for consumption.

ETA: If I get a bear or a cougar I'm going to pack out as much meat as possible.  If I get a bear it will be one that's been gorging on berries, and should be fantastic eating.  Everything I've heard about cougar is that it is also fantastic eating, like super good pork.  Just cook it (bear and cougar) to 160F internal temp to avoid trichinosis.

Why wouldn't you pack out bear?  Yum

Offline sumpnz

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 09:22:00 AM »
Correction.  137F (for an hour) will kill trich.  160F is basically instantaneous for killing trich.  If it's slow cooked and held above 137F for an hour you should be fine to eat it.

Offline sumpnz

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 09:22:38 AM »

Why wouldn't you pack out bear?  Yum

Ummm.

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 09:24:47 AM »
game animal, so take what is fit for consumption.  However, I don't think it is spelled out what meets the rule vs the intent of the law like in Alaska.  Just your opinion vs the gamey about what would be waste.

:yeah:

Both bear and cougar are considered big game animals like deer or elk.

It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline SilkOnTheDrySide

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 09:29:01 AM »
Bear is delicious...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 09:41:03 AM »
I feel like this is the equivalent to someone asking if they should throw away breakfast sausage, ham, and bacon.
 :dunno:

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 09:42:39 AM »
I feel like this is the equivalent to someone asking if they should throw away breakfast sausage, ham, and bacon.

:cue:
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 09:44:28 AM »
If it had been feeding on salmon or a horse carcass, it would be like asking to throw away tofu and kashi.

Offline Squidward

• Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/ed.brooks.3781
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 11:35:18 AM »
if it's feeding on stuff that makes the meat by its self taste strong (to you) make sausage. always good to fry up the 1st steak the taste it, to see if it's a steak bear or a sausage bear.

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 11:38:13 AM »
if it's feeding on stuff that makes the meat by its self taste strong (to you) make sausage. always good to fry up the 1st steak the taste it, to see if it's a steak bear or a sausage bear.

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

I made the mistake of listening to everyone tell me bear was horrible to eat.  I kept one pound out and made the rest in to sausage.  Later that night I cooked the pound I kept out and it was delicious.....I was pissed off and started doing the above with bears from that point on.  Last bear I had taste great but was an old bear.  The meat got bigger and tougher as I chewed so I turned that bear in to sausage. 

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 12:24:38 PM »
We roasted half a bear on a huge spit at a party. Nobody knew what it was because it was cooking all day.....but they sure could not get enough of it. Not a single complaint.

Offline justyhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 12:54:47 PM »
Personally I would take the meat out before the hide , the only reason I keep the hide is to keep the meat clean while I drag the bear out . We only hunt bear for the meat , if they weren't so delicious we wouldn't hunt them . There is a member on here that I gave some steaks and ground to a couple years ago , his wife doesn't like venison but she liked the bear and insisted he get a bear tag , hoping he can get one this year .

Quote from jrebel:  Last bear I had taste great but was an old bear.  The meat got bigger and tougher as I chewed so I turned that bear in to sausage.

My wife shot a 10 year old a couple years ago , good flavor but tough , she started  cooking it in a pressure cooker , came out great . 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]