collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Help with my first hunting dog  (Read 4699 times)

Offline nutntoit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Help with my first hunting dog
« on: May 06, 2017, 08:30:07 AM »
Meet Lincoln. He is a fox red lab from Morgans Point Ranch in Addy.

I am looking for some pointers on how to best introduce him to birds and retrieving. Right now he is only 8 weeks old and we have just been working on basic obiedience and socialization. He is just learning how to fetch toys and loves it, so that's good. I have a couple frozen birds and have shown him a wing on a string a few times. He really likes that, but I'm not sure the best way to use it. He was bred as a pointing lab so I would like to reinforce that as much as I can. I hunt mostly upland birds. Thanks for any tips you guys have.

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Help with my first hunting dog
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 08:48:12 AM »
Beautiful dog. 

Offline HunterofWA

• Scout
    • Aery Drone Photos
  • Groups: Huntersofwashington
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 08:57:27 AM »
There's a book by Richard A. Wolters called, GAME DOG. It has just about everything in it for upland bird and waterfowl. It goes step by step through the age of the dog and teaches you what to teach the dog at that time.
https://www.amazon.com/Game-Dog-Retriever-Waterfowl-Training/dp/0525939423

He makes the case that once you teach a dog to Sit, Stay, & Come, you can teach it just about anything.

Cute dog by the way!
...suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character and character produces hope...

YT | @pnw_offgrid

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 09:20:23 AM »
Nice looking pup.
Keep it fun like you are doing and don't over do it
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline constructeur

• Hunter
  • Groups: NAVHDA
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 11:40:03 AM »
Did you ask the breeder any of these questions?

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 12:25:22 PM »
There's a book by Richard A. Wolters called, GAME DOG. It has just about everything in it for upland bird and waterfowl. It goes step by step through the age of the dog and teaches you what to teach the dog at that time.
https://www.amazon.com/Game-Dog-Retriever-Waterfowl-Training/dp/0525939423

He makes the case that once you teach a dog to Sit, Stay, & Come, you can teach it just about anything.

Cute dog by the way!

:
:yeah:
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline HunterofWA

• Scout
    • Aery Drone Photos
  • Groups: Huntersofwashington
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 01:03:07 PM »

As far as the birds go, use them to teach him to use his nose. And another thing, don't play tug of war with him, cause then he will develop what is called "hard mouth". The reason this is bad is he will bite to hard on the bird and cause damage to the meat. Using a frozen bird later on helps fix that because he isn't able to bit into it.

One other important thing to keep in mind while your socializing him is to make sure he doesn't get scared. Bring him to a trap shoot to get him accustomed to guns and such.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 01:09:53 PM by HunterofWA »
...suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character and character produces hope...

YT | @pnw_offgrid

Offline Old Dog

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Old Dog
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 04:22:42 PM »
Get this book.  http://www.gundogsupply.com/training-the-pointing-labrador-julie-knutson-book.html

Julie Knutson is the most successful trainer of pointing labs in the country.

You might also want to hook up with Northwest Pointing Labrador Club.  We have monthly training days, and i think you will find us to be very friendly and supportive.
Hunt hard and shoot straight!

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 06:48:20 PM »
If I had an 8 week old puppy I'd work on little treat training stuff. Exposing him to as many new places as are safe considering his age and that he won't have had all his shots yet. Also I'd work on making him comfortable with being in a dog crate and easing into potty training.

Sounds like a good time to start doing research on what kind of training you'd like to achieve and make a plan of how you'd like to get there. Internet advice is going to be all over the place as far as what to do when and how to do it. Read and watch everything you can and seek out as much info as possible. The more you know the better dog you'll have. Tons of infomation out there if you look, lots of it for free.

About the last thing I'd do is bring an 8 week old puppy to a trap shoot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline nutntoit

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 12:58:07 AM »
Yes I did. The breeder is actually the one to give me the birds for training. I just want to get as much information as I can to help train him right.

Offline nutntoit

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 01:05:53 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys. I have already trained him to sit, the beginnings of stay as well as drop. He is about 85% potty trained and asks to be let outside most of the time. Basic obidience I am good with as I have trained a few pups. The area I know little about is gun dog training. I have him enrolled in a month long training course but that isn't until next summer. I want to focus on getting him used to retrieving and hopefully pointing before I send him off to training. I have been scouring the internet for information as well as asking family who have raised hunting dogs. I feel like now is the time to instill the drive and desire to hunt and don't want to miss any opportunity I have.

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 05:39:45 AM »
If he is a pointing breed.you do not want to teach him to sit.you want to teach him to whoa.
It has to do when in the field when there is pressure on the dog he will revert back to sitting instead of pointing.
Guys on here with pointing breeds may be able to explain better
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:50:04 AM by huntnfmly »
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline ribka

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 08:21:39 AM »
If I had an 8 week old puppy I'd work on little treat training stuff. Exposing him to as many new places as are safe considering his age and that he won't have had all his shots yet. Also I'd work on making him comfortable with being in a dog crate and easing into potty training.

Sounds like a good time to start doing research on what kind of training you'd like to achieve and make a plan of how you'd like to get there. Internet advice is going to be all over the place as far as what to do when and how to do it. Read and watch everything you can and seek out as much info as possible. The more you know the better dog you'll have. Tons of infomation out there if you look, lots of it for free.

About the last thing I'd do is bring an 8 week old puppy to a trap shoot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

a lot of good advice

yep - exposure, socialization after shots basic obedience. then worry about pointing and retrieving.

have fun. if dog is not listening stop training take a break.no hurry in training, every dog learns at own pace.you would be surprised how much dog learns on own during training process. After a few months work on prey drive with lots of live birds. Then can expose to very soft gunfire like a pellet gun or 22 blank from farther away and incorporate in the live bird, whoa and retrieving process. If dog is not learning. Take a few days off and start on basics for a few days. One day it will click with dog. For some it is at 4 to 6 months and others can take a year or a bit more. Can slowly introduce water training when it warms up a bit.

I think the e collar can help a lot for some dogs but you have to know how to use it

keep training sessions short . check out navhda groups in the area and can learn a lot

Offline constructeur

• Hunter
  • Groups: NAVHDA
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 09:29:00 PM »
Yes I did. The breeder is actually the one to give me the birds for training. I just want to get as much information as I can to help train him right.

I'm not sure where you are in Ewa, but on versatiledogs.com and refugeforums.com there is a memeber, Doc E that is in NE Washington, and knows and breeds with the Morgans.

http://www.docsdognutriceuticals.iwarp.com/ If you can't find him on those sites that is his website.

Doc E is into the HRC thing, you should check that out IMO. Have fun!

Offline joe_dumy

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 06:26:00 AM »
Your getting a mixture of good and bad advice. If you want to train your self you need to find a good method that works for pointing labs and stick with it. Or find a trainer that can train you and your dog at the same time. You can then go home and keep training. Probably like 10 2 hour visits would get you good results. If you want great results I suggest having him trained by a pro. You will learn a lot about bird dogs but hunting behind one that a pro trained.

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 09:28:11 AM »
Advice/opinions on training are like________, well everyone who has a dog has one...so here is mine  8) Enjoy it! It can be frustrating for you but also for the dog. I have "trained" my last two dogs. Were/are they perfect? Hell no. Will that dog do anything to please me...yep. I really think it has something to do with the time spent training. First and foremost she is part of our family. Training and that process strengthened that bond. You have a great looking pup...try to enjoy every minute you have with it. And remember, at least in my experience, training never really stops. 

Offline nutntoit

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 09:35:04 AM »
Your getting a mixture of good and bad advice. If you want to train your self you need to find a good method that works for pointing labs and stick with it. Or find a trainer that can train you and your dog at the same time. You can then go home and keep training. Probably like 10 2 hour visits would get you good results. If you want great results I suggest having him trained by a pro. You will learn a lot about bird dogs but hunting behind one that a pro trained.
I have actually already enrolled him in a month long training by the trainer my breeder uses and recommends. He is very family with their dogs and their point nature. However, this isn't until summer 2018 so I want to get him as well trainers as I can before this happens so he gets the most out of training.

Offline nutntoit

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 09:38:16 AM »

I'm not sure where you are in Ewa, but on versatiledogs.com and refugeforums.com there is a memeber, Doc E that is in NE Washington, and knows and breeds with the Morgans.

http://www.docsdognutriceuticals.iwarp.com/ If you can't find him on those sites that is his website.

Doc E is into the HRC thing, you should check that out IMO. Have fun!
Thanks! I am in Spokane so it looks like he is pretty close to me.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]