collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Roosevelt experience, looking for opinions  (Read 2906 times)

Offline Fozzie Bear

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Roosevelt experience, looking for opinions
« on: May 08, 2017, 12:43:59 PM »
Hi All, if you feel you understand how Roosevelt elk tend to roam on a month to month basis, please let me know your thoughts;

I hunted  archery in Dec. on multiple weekends, in an are near Naselle.  I spend all my time hunting in an elevation below 250 feet. I hunted the thick stuff.  I saw groups of 1-3 elk each time out, and a lotta fresh sign. I blew one sweet opportunity just before dark, and learned (again!) to use my binoculars in the thick.

I went back in Jan. to work my area from a different angle, a mile from my Dec. efforts. Even more sign and I saw a group of 10.

I scouted the area pretty thoroughly this past weekend (now May). Almost no sign, and no critters spotted.

Do you think:
A) The elk moved out randomly.
B) The elk moved to higher elevation as part of their seasonal migration?
C) The elk moved back into more open country for easier feeding opportunities, or to find a particlar food.
D) Other ideas – please explain.

I have an email into the local field officer (I met him on one of my scouting excursions), and I plan to connect with the regions's biologist, for their opinions.

I look forward to any feedback that you may provide. Posts that are based on personal experience and not what one has read elsewhere, will be most appreciated. On the other hand, info about sources of further info will be very helpful as well.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Roosevelt experience, looking for opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 02:04:39 PM »
Approaching calving season they've moved to their nursery area....

Offline Fozzie Bear

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 02:16:23 PM »
Ahh, so.
Any pattern you know of for where that might likely be - secluded hilltops, river bottoms, steep hillsides etc.
Just trying to understand the annual cycle for these particular elk.
Thanks for the input.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 04:06:07 PM »
I agree with the calving season. Some of the herds that I watch have banded together. One of the herds of Rosie's I see every few days has over 140 head in it right now. They also have not left the property that they are on for the last 3 weeks. Typically in September these are broken up and in groups of 20-30 and as you get further into September I start seeing smaller groups. In my opinion a lot of the calving areas are on creek beads especially on private property where there is little disturbance.

If I were trying to scout right now. I would be on creeks bordering private land, with cover and open fields for feed. If you can check all these boxes you will find elk.

Offline Fozzie Bear

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 06:24:12 PM »
Very helpful. Thanks.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 07:42:59 PM »
The cows seem to be going to nursery.  The bulls I'd think would be going to bachelor herd, which usually seems to be within a mile or so.  Seems like the bulls like a flatter, kind of openish, breezy area to chill out and lay around.  Like fresh grass in alder/maple down near a stream.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 10:34:57 PM »
Calving will have their habits messed up for sure, and they will seek out secluded areas where they will not be disturbed.

That said, based on where you were and  the info you gave I would chalk it up to hunter pressure first, followed by a change in feed locations second. That area the elk are hunted hard, and for multiple seasons. Although I often see large herds during the summer , in late season its a different game. The herds have been broke up, and unless somewhat secure on private land, the elk will seek out the deeper holes where they get less disturbance. They also tend to be in smaller bands IME although the lack of actual.sighting is likeley also a product of that dark coastal vegetation. If you have an area that has alot of sign I would learn as mucb as I could about it. And plan on being there again.

As for feed, the more open clearcuts and farmland are gonna be big attractors for them right now as the grass is lush and they are not being pursued.  I would expect this pattern to continue up to September.  Elk you find now will likely be close by in september.  Bands will again split as bulls establish herds, but they will still utilize clearcuts and meadow and swamps regularly.

Late October as food sources switch to more browse and availability of food in thicker areas combined with pressure I would expect elk to begin to return to areas you located last season.

Offline mazama

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 08:46:21 AM »
My ex lives on the family farm in the rosburg-naselle area,her property butts up to Hancock timber,bottom line for me is when they log the elk move around,logging moves the elk,logging has picked up considerably.

Offline shadowless_nite

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 10:01:48 AM »
I'd have to agree with everyone and what you described. It's about what you can expect from that area throughout the year. Late season archery in those parts your expecting to see twos and threes, most often than not you end up jumping them in the brush especially if you are not puprosely still hunting and just beating brush instead.

Chalk it up to experience out there. Regardless of local logging, the elk will be in the area as long as they aren't logging right through your scouted area. They may change pattern to avoid logging operations but often hang around. My best advice would be run a camera or 2 during season and see what your missing pattern wise. You may find yourself just minutes or hours shy of crossing paths. But don't expect preseason and earlier season patterns and herds to be the same late archery season.

Offline Fozzie Bear

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 01:58:51 PM »
Thanks again to all who reply.
To expand on my earlier posts and hopefully to clarify - by my own standards I was "in the elk" last Dec. and Jan. Enough critters to keep me interested. So now I want to find them again, in their spring locations.
Based on the my reading efforts and the  responses to this thread so far:
This time of year, I should be looking in and around grassy bottoms near a stream for reliable water supply, and which feel safe to the elk. This might mean locations on or accessed by private land, or locations remote enough that the elk are not being bumped around. The elk will probably be hanging out in these bottoms or in the cover nearby.
The typical congregation size will tend to be larger than in late season, and the bulls will be grouping separately from the cows but most likely will be hanging out within a mile of the cow groups.
If logging or other invasive operations start up near to the elks' location, things will change as the elk move away from the active area.
Is this a fair summary? Anything you would add to this?

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 02:03:56 PM »
Once the calves are born, the cow herd will move about to feed; but the calves will likely stay behind with nannies.  If you find the calves, the rest of the cows usually come back in the evenings.

Offline Fozzie Bear

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 02:58:23 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input.

Offline hoof rot

• Hunter
  • everything tastes better on the wetside
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 08:04:15 AM »
A lot of times elk like logging, especially yarder sides ;)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]