collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Multi Season Deer vs 2nd Deer permit possibility  (Read 10533 times)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Multi Season Deer vs 2nd Deer permit possibility
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 09:12:35 AM »
None of the second deer permits are "any weapon." What they are is- "you can apply with any tag." If you draw I'm not sure the tag you purchase will say "Multi Season" on it. I think you would need to choose one method for that second tag.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 10:57:29 AM »
2nd deer permits are weapon specific unless they say any weapon. And they also are date specific and gmu specific. So if i drew a 2nd deer tag for modern fire arm for nov 1 -12 i could only take my 2nd deer during that time bit could use any weapon since it is modern. Now if i drew an archery 2nd deer during sept. I would only be anle to take the 2nd deer during that season with archery equipment

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The issue is not  with the  weapon specific second tag,  it is how this second tag affects the multi tag.
 The multi tag allows you to apply for all permits all weapons,  The drawing of a second deer permit should not  re-strict or void the use of your multi.
 If a person has a multi-deer and a 2nd tag for modern,  then kills a buck archery,  does this effectively void the second tag because it's modern ?  OR  A person kills their second dear modern first,  that would restrict you to only using your multi for modern.   Something doesn't sound right to me.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 11:02:36 AM »
Nock Nock- it would make no difference which method a person uses to kill a deer with their multi season deer tag. How would that have any effect on their use of their second tag? They're totally separate. I'm not really sure I understand what you're saying.   :dunno:

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 11:10:37 AM »
Nock Nock- it would make no difference which method a person uses to kill a deer with their multi season deer tag. How would that have any effect on their use of their second tag? They're totally separate. I'm not really sure I understand what you're saying.   :dunno:
There is one effect that the multi-season permit has on a second deer tag in the 1400-1408 range. While a hunter with any deer tag can apply for these permits, the harvest must be made with the weapon of choice on the primary tag. Someone with an archery tag would have to use archery gear on one of these second deer permits. A hunter with a multi-season permit could use any weapon to harvest a second deer with a permit in the 1400-1408 range.

The second permit has no bearing at all on the primary permit.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 11:12:27 AM »
I would think that you would be bound to the weapon type on the 2nd deer permit. Your general tag could be filled with the multi in any general season.... :dunno: :twocents:

Second deer tags are drawing tags and weapon specific. Each special tag specifies which weapon you can use if you are drawn. Having a multi season tag allows you to apply for tags with any weapon, but once you are drawn for that tag, you have to hunt with the weapon you chose.  You can't apply for an archery tag, then hunt it with a modern rifle.

Just like with a multi season tag, you can hunt any open season, but you must hunt with the weapon specified for that season.  You can't go out in Sept in an archery unit and hunt with a modern firearm. You must hunt with a bow.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 11:17:49 AM »
I would think that you would be bound to the weapon type on the 2nd deer permit. Your general tag could be filled with the multi in any general season.... :dunno: :twocents:

Second deer tags are drawing tags and weapon specific. Each special tag specifies which weapon you can use if you are drawn. Having a multi season tag allows you to apply for tags with any weapon, but once you are drawn for that tag, you have to hunt with the weapon you chose.  You can't apply for an archery tag, then hunt it with a modern rifle.

Just like with a multi season tag, you can hunt any open season, but you must hunt with the weapon specified for that season.  You can't go out in Sept in an archery unit and hunt with a modern firearm. You must hunt with a bow.
Permits in the 1400-1408 range may be applied for by any primary tag holder: archery, muzzleloader, or modern. Because he has a multi-season permit, his primary tag is not weapon specific and therefore he could use any weapon for the second deer permit.

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 11:17:58 AM »
2nd deer permits are weapon specific unless they say any weapon. And they also are date specific and gmu specific. So if i drew a 2nd deer tag for modern fire arm for nov 1 -12 i could only take my 2nd deer during that time bit could use any weapon since it is modern. Now if i drew an archery 2nd deer during sept. I would only be anle to take the 2nd deer during that season with archery equipment

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It only affects which hunts you can apply for. With a modern tag you can only apply for a modern firearms draw or an any weapon draw.  With an archery tag, you can only apply for an archery draw or an any weapon draw. With a muzzleloader tag, you can only apply for a muzzleloader draw or an any weapon draw. But with a multi season tag, you can apply for any draw. But you are restricted to the weapon listed in the hunt description.

The issue is not  with the  weapon specific second tag,  it is how this second tag affects the multi tag.
 The multi tag allows you to apply for all permits all weapons,  The drawing of a second deer permit should not  re-strict or void the use of your multi.
 If a person has a multi-deer and a 2nd tag for modern,  then kills a buck archery,  does this effectively void the second tag because it's modern ?  OR  A person kills their second dear modern first,  that would restrict you to only using your multi for modern.   Something doesn't sound right to me.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 11:21:01 AM »

Permits in the 1400-1408 range may be applied for by any primary tag holder: archery, muzzleloader, or modern. Because he has a multi-season permit, his primary tag is not weapon specific and therefore he could use any weapon for the second deer permit.

Yes, because any weapon may apply for that tag. And the multi tag holder may use any weapon.  But in weapon specific hunts, a multi season tag holder has to hunt with the specific weapon.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 11:22:20 AM »

Do you have personal experience with that or have you verified with the WDFW? What I'm not clear on is does the second tag then also say "Multi Season" on it? It seems to me that the person with a general multi season tag, who draws one of the 1400-1408 permits would be required to specify if they want an archery tag, muzzleloader, or modern firearm.  :dunno:

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 11:25:10 AM »
None of the second deer permits are "any weapon." What they are is- "you can apply with any tag." If you draw I'm not sure the tag you purchase will say "Multi Season" on it. I think you would need to choose one method for that second tag.
The 1400-1408 range of permits can be applied for by any tag holder. The permit holder "May hunt only with the hunting
method in compliance with your tag." For a hunter with a multi-season permit that would allow the use of any method for the second deer permit.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 11:37:20 AM »
The 1400-1408 range of permits can be applied for by any tag holder. The permit holder "May hunt only with the hunting
method in compliance with your tag." For a hunter with a multi-season permit that would allow the use of any method for the second deer permit.

It sure would seem that way but do you know for sure that the second tag purchased after drawing the permit will say "Multi season" on it?

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 02:17:42 PM »
There is one effect that the multi-season permit has on a second deer tag in the 1400-1408 range. While a hunter with any deer tag can apply for these permits, the harvest must be made with the weapon of choice on the primary tag. Someone with an archery tag would have to use archery gear on one of these second deer permits. A hunter with a multi-season permit could use any weapon to harvest a second deer with a permit in the 1400-1408 range.

The second permit has no bearing at all on the primary permit.

This :yeah: is correct.

WDFW confirmed what I thought was the appropriate answer to my original question.
A multi tag holder can shoot a deer in archery season, with archery equip., tag it with their multi tag, and then if holding a 2nd deer modern tag/permit/, shoot a 2nd deer with modern equipment as long as they are hunting according to the specific 2nd tag restrictions (weapon and dates)

Page 26 of the regs says that "The second tag must be the same weapon choice as your first tag." This only applies to those hunters that do not possess a multi tag.......So for the 1400-1408 hunts, if drawn and no multi, you would have to hunt that permit with the same weapon as listed on your 1st tag.

As far as the Multi confirmation letter stating that multi only applies to general seasons........ well, we all know how good WDFW is at conveying correct and understandable language in a written form.  :bash:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 04:48:37 PM »
So for the 1400-1408 hunts, if drawn and no multi, you would have to hunt that permit with the same weapon as listed on your 1st tag.

EXCEPT........... if your 1st tag is Modern Firearms, you can still hunt with any weapon.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2017, 06:22:53 PM »
So for the 1400-1408 hunts, if drawn and no multi, you would have to hunt that permit with the same weapon as listed on your 1st tag.

EXCEPT........... if your 1st tag is Modern Firearms, you can still hunt with any weapon.
NOCK NOCK is correct. Without a multi-season permit, a modern firearm tag holder would not be able to hunt with any weapon for a second deer. He would have to hunt with a modern firearm.

"You may hunt only with the hunting method in compliance with your tag."

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2017, 07:05:46 PM »

NOCK NOCK is correct. Without a multi-season permit, a modern firearm tag holder would not be able to hunt with any weapon for a second deer. He would have to hunt with a modern firearm.

"You may hunt only with the hunting method in compliance with your tag."

But it's legal to hunt with a bow or a muzzleloader if you have a modern tag.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]