collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Katahdin Sheep  (Read 25979 times)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Katahdin Sheep
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 04:17:16 PM »
Poor guy is Gona suffer from the DSB!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

:chuckle:
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 04:19:06 PM »
I've got a bunch of katahdin lambs available if your interested. After losing several to a cougar a couple years ago we got a guardian dog(great Pyrenees) and haven't had any problems with predators since.

Yea we had a llama and then we had a donkey.  No issues.  There is actually a female llama on Craigslist for $50, but they can't haul.  If I had a trailer I'd be going to pick her up now.  So far locking them in at night is working good.  They have a nice roomy shelter that I am pretty sure the yotes cannot get into.  How much do you sell your ewe lambs for?
Fred Moyer

Online elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 09:35:26 AM »
My ram is now in his own pen.  He had a go at me this weekend.  I've been locking them up at night to keep them safe from the yotes.  I let them out and was walking behind the flock so I could get out of the pasture and I seen him pin his ears back.  I knew he was going to turn around and take a shot at me.  So I had already backed up a bit and was able to get into a part of the barn he can't reach.  He backed up a couple of times and lowered his head.  I hung out in the barn for a couple of minutes until the wife came out and distracted him with some grain so I could get out of the pasture.  He's 200 pounds, he could put a hurt on me.  So I fixed up the corral, and he's in there pouting and crying now because he can't get to the girls.  Much safer in the pasture now.  LOL

I always take something to knock my ram on the head if he gets feisty.  He usually likes to test me but if you come at him strong, he backs down.  A swift kick in the butt also helps.  😁

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 09:03:52 PM »
Fred Moyer

Offline Viszla

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 12:17:49 PM »
I've got a bunch of katahdin lambs available if your interested. After losing several to a cougar a couple years ago we got a guardian dog(great Pyrenees) and haven't had any problems with predators since.

Yea we had a llama and then we had a donkey.  No issues.  There is actually a female llama on Craigslist for $50, but they can't haul.  If I had a trailer I'd be going to pick her up now.  So far locking them in at night is working good.  They have a nice roomy shelter that I am pretty sure the yotes cannot get into.  How much do you sell your ewe lambs for?

I've been selling for $100 each. That's been my hold up from getting into cows, no trailer to haul. Trailers aren't  cheap these these days so I'm stuck with animals I can throw in the back of a truck. So far the sheep have worked out well. Poor mans beef I always say...

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 02:30:47 PM »
Don't let a trailer stop you from cows. My moms boy friend, years ago, got our heard started by buying one at auction. Hauled it home in a station wagon. Who knew that cows get car sick, and get the runs  :chuckle: You couldn't even see in the windows of the car.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 04:37:10 PM »
Fred Moyer

Offline HighlandLofts

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WAC,
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 09:29:11 PM »
I have a friend that is looking for a small size hair sheep ram, he can't handle the larger size sheep. He had to get rid of his ram two years ago because it got to be over three years old and became to much for him to handle. 

The smaller size the better.

I ram lamb would work if any one has one.

WAC
NRA
Walk Light, Carry A Big Stick, Never Walk Away. - Teddy Roosevelt
Don't Take Your Guns To Town.   Johnny Cash

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2018, 05:54:47 PM »
One of my Katahdin ewes is in the middle of delivering lambs right now.  One black one so far.  Very cool, I got to walk up right when she was delivering it.  I think she may have another one or two in there, she's as big as a house!  I'll check in a while, don't want to disturb her.  I think I'll name it Eclipse.  :)
Fred Moyer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2018, 08:15:56 PM »
Keep an eye on her, she won't mind.  Make sure she doesn't forget she had the first one.  It happens I have been there before.  Also if she is not separate from the others you will want to watch them.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2018, 08:45:05 PM »
She had twins, both up and walking around, she is loving on both of them.  She is separated from the other three ewes.  Thanks for the advice!
Fred Moyer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2018, 10:07:47 PM »
That's a good ewe, keep her around!  I've had to strap moms in place to get them to feed twins before after they left them alone. They didn't get another chance to breed at my place.  The katahdin breed in my experience are great at delivery without assistance.  Some are just not good moms.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2018, 08:41:53 AM »
 :tup: :tup:

Question for you real quick.  So the Ewe is supposed to be pure Katahdin and is pure white.  The Ram was not registered, but I have his papers, white with a couple of brown spots.  Both of these lambs came out looking like pure Barbados, with a little white on the noggins.  :)  I'll take a couple of photos tonight.  I know Katahdins can be black and/or brown.  Have you had lambs that turn out like this even though both the ewe and the ram are nearly pure white?  Looks very cool.  Also how old do you band your rams?
Fred Moyer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2018, 09:22:44 AM »
I have had brown multi colored lambs when both parents were pure white. Its common. Probably got it from the dad if he has a little brown.   

I never banded my ram lambs.  You are supposed to let them drop and do it within 7 days or so.  I tried, but when they are that small I couldn't be confident I actually had the testicles isolated and didn't want to just pinch off the scrotum.  I would sell the ram lambs when they were 6 months old before they would be able to breed. 

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2018, 12:19:14 PM »
 :tup:  Thanks!!
Fred Moyer

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus