collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Quality swedish axes/hatchets?  (Read 14053 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Quality swedish axes/hatchets?
« on: May 19, 2017, 09:08:33 AM »
Kind of been wanting one of these for a while now and am just curious if anyone else has one. I'm thinking pretty hard about getting a Gransfors Bruk Outdoor Axe. Not sure what I'd do with it other than camping use. I like the idea of the history and quality of them more than what I'd use it for to be honest. Also was looking at Wetterlings.

https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/product/gransfors-outdoor-axe-2/

Anyone?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
Re: Quality swedish axes/hatchets?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 09:30:13 AM »
I have one, the wildlife hatchet, that I use around the house, camp and take it into the backcountry (if I am not the one with a tag and having to carry a weapon).  They are awesomely hand made tools.  I'd recommend them.  They will also cut the *censored* out of you when cutting kindling, just a big gash down the bone with no blood, crazy.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 09:35:54 AM »
I don't own the brand  your referring to. I actually have an eastwing that I love. I think with a couple of you tube videos and some time with a file you can make most hatches pretty awesome.
Wanglerstar on you tube has a couple good videos on axes and hatches including a comparison. He really likes a huskivarna carpenter's axe/hatchet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline NW SURVEYOR

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF NRA
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 09:59:15 AM »
We do a lot of surveying for the FS which requires us to blaze the trees along the lines.
This requires a 3# head with a SHARP edge.
The axe is also used in conjunction with a good machete (Also SHARP) to clear brush and small trees.
We generally use a 16" Mill *censored* file and work the sides back quite a distance from the cutting edge.
We then touch up the edge periodically to keep it sharp.
The use of an aluminum scabbard allows us to carry them safely through the timber while not in use.
An errant swing can really lay you open, as can careless filing.

The best axe I ever used was a "Stroax" which was Swedish or Finnish.
They were $60 for the head only in 1989 at which point I bought two.
You could take down a 14" fir pretty darn quick if you knew what you were doing.
After wearing them out I tried some others with poor results.
About 10 years ago Stihl came out with a good axe and I bought two more of those.
They're pretty good.

The problem is that these work axes do not make a good camp axe as any dings really affects the cutting quality.
They are fine for camp duty, but cannot be placed back into the work truck if they have imperfections on the edges..

If anyone has a 3# Stroax, I'd entertain buying it.

Later,
Rob.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 11:00:34 AM »
I don't own the brand  your referring to. I actually have an eastwing that I love. I think with a couple of you tube videos and some time with a file you can make most hatches pretty awesome.
Wanglerstar on you tube has a couple good videos on axes and hatches including a comparison. He really likes a huskivarna carpenter's axe/hatchet.

I have an Estwing axe and a smaller hatchet. Also have a couple old hatchets from my grandfather...can't recall the brand name. As a kid, I would daydream about my grandfather letting me use them. When he died, they were one of the few things of his I absolutely had to have. Really it's more about the cool factor with this purchase. Handmade, history, craftsmanship, quality, etc.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 11:16:56 AM »
In one of the videos he talks about the differences between really high end and  more off the shelf brands like Huskivarna. A big part of the difference is the time put into shaping the metal, which is what is reflected in price.  Similar discussions about firearms have been had on here.  Some knowledge, a file, and some sandpaper can take a mediocre product a hand fit pics of excellence.

Take the 1911 for example there are many manufacturers. The main difference in price and quality is the labor for high tolerances and the had fitment and polishing that takes place.

I bet some of those old heads you have from your grandpa could be refurbished by you. You could show/teach your kids and that would be better than any purchase. 2c

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 11:25:00 AM »
My buddy has one think its a hults? Its a great hatchet and holds a edge very good.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Jeeper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 06:56:01 AM »
I have a couple -hunters axe and a smaller forest axe. Treasured by me! Very nice, very sharp. Also have a look at Wetterlings, nice at a lower price.

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 08:12:45 AM »
Josh , Ive also heard good things about the husquvarna...
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 09:52:19 AM »
Check out this company

https://www.lie-nielsen.com
Their motto is "Heirloom quality tools"

And this ax

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/hand-tools/wetterlings-axes-bushman-axe-?node=4066

And this hatchet

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/hand-tools/scout-hatchet?node=4066

The company used to sell Swedish axes but I think they are making their own now.

I've been drooling over their tools for quite a while now!
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline HardCorpsHuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 10:53:51 AM »
I would recommend getting an axe made in USA, as there are several small hand forged axe makers that appear to be of great quality.  I have bought several old USA made axes, single and double bit, and cleaned them up and rehung them myself.  Much cheaper, fairly easy, and fun.     

https://www.hoffmanblacksmithing.com/axeordering/

I have a couple of Husqvarna axes, Swedish made, and they are solid.  I especially like the multi purpose axe.

https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-26-Wooden-Multi-Purpose-Axe/dp/B004WJGXAQ/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1495302544&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=husquvar+axe

I have a friend who bought a Nielsen camp axe and the head became loose after an hour of use.  He was disappointed, it was fixed by Nielsen.  He's happy now. 

"Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast." -Wyatt Earp

Offline HardCorpsHuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 11:34:44 AM »
A few I hung.

"Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast." -Wyatt Earp

Offline Netminder01

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 11:34:51 AM »
tag

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 11:58:25 AM »
I have an axe & hatchet collection.  I like Gransfors Bruks the best.  I have both the wildlife hatchet for my day pack & a Scandinavian Forest axe behind the seat of my truck.  They are works of art. 

You can buy Gransfors axes in Bellingham at Wes Spur.  It is fun to walk in and choose an axe that speaks to you.  They have also shipped to me, with great packaging & fast shipping.  I call and ask them to pick me out a good pc. with proper grain orientation and alignment.    http://www.wesspur.com/

You'll never be sorry you splurged.  If you go with a cheaper axe, you'll still want a Gransfors.  That'll be nagging on ya until you finally break down!   

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some wood to split.  :chuckle:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 12:00:49 PM »
I have an axe & hatchet collection.  I like Gransfors Bruks the best.  I have both the wildlife hatchet for my day pack & a Scandinavian Forest axe behind the seat of my truck.  They are works of art. 

You can Gransfors axes in Bellingham at Wes Spur.  It is fun to walk in and choose an axe that speaks to you.  They have also shipped to me, with great packaging & fast shipping.  I call and ask them to pick me out a good pc. with proper grain orientation and alignment. 

You'll never be sorry you splurged.  If you go with a cheaper axe, you'll still want a Gransfors.  That'll be nagging on ya until you finally break down!   

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some wood to split.  :chuckle:

Kinda what I'm talking about here. Next time I'm in Bellingham, I'll have to check that place out.
Thank you

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand