collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Different Bullets  (Read 4671 times)

Offline bighorn1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Different Bullets
« on: May 19, 2017, 12:19:44 PM »
I changed bullets in my 338_378 from Sierra game kings 250 grain to nosler accubonds in 250 grain both shoot the same at 100 yards but because of the different confidence do you think they would be a different drop at 500 yards.

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
Re: Different Bullets
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 12:26:08 PM »
BC for one at 0.565 and the other at 0.575, I doubt there would be much difference.....

That is published BC though, actual maybe there's more of a difference. 

You could check in a ballistic calculator to see what you can expect.   Try:   http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

:twocents:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Biggerhammer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 02:03:19 PM »
I would shoot the Nosler Accubonds over Sierra's every day of the week. The 260gr Accubond from a .375 Ultra Magnum will flat roll/knock a mature Mule deer off it feet past 500 yards. I didn't get to witness the hit due to recoil but my spotter said it was one wicked hit.

Your rifle should push the 250's well. I was shooting the .375 260's @ 3050fps.

Offline bighorn1

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 02:43:32 PM »
Okay I wanted to use the accubonds but a friend said he thought there might be a difference when shooting long range like 500 or over. I shot all my distances with the Sierras but not with the accubonds but will try to do that but hard to get in woods here so many gates are locked.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 03:40:45 PM »
Here's a 260gr Accubond recovered from a mule deer I shot at 560 yards with a .375 Ultra Magnum. He was facing me head on, slight down hill shot. Hit him center of the chest, I recovered the bullet just under the hide on his belly.

The Accubond performed perfectly! Still had 2009 fps and 2329 foot pounds at impact at 560 yards.

Offline Jolten

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 04:41:14 PM »
Idk biggerhammer, York tested some gamekings for me and even he was impressed.
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 05:52:10 PM »

What does Yorke know??? He's been buried in a mountain of powder, primers, bullets and assorted shooting junk for way too long. :tup: Seriously, you have to question the mental stability of a guy that builds a .338-.408 Cheytac handgun.

Offline Jolten

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 08:05:52 PM »

What does Yorke know??? He's been buried in a mountain of powder, primers, bullets and assorted shooting junk for way too long. :tup: Seriously, you have to question the mental stability of a guy that builds a .338-.408 Cheytac handgun.

He does seem to have Yosemite Sam syndrome...
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 08:08:13 PM »

I can understand guys that have "Issues" when it comes to firearms.🎯

While most people were eating lunch today, I was working out details and ordering a reamer for a .22 Nosler necked up to 6mm for a AR project.🙃

Offline Jolten

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 08:11:32 PM »
That could be interesting.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 08:26:32 AM »
That could be interesting.

The rebated rim for a standard 5.56 bolt face, quality brass and 6.8 SPC case capacity sold me.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 08:40:56 AM »
Seriously, you have to question the mental stability of a guy that builds a .338-.408 Cheytac handgun.
He has a point.....  :)

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 09:35:50 AM »
I'll add two points here that I feel are important,  a 338-378 drives the he'll out of a bullet. I'd be all about a tougher bullet if you are planning on the under 500 shots. The game king is a great bullet in a 338win, but the e7i cas will over speed it and it will be  violent up close.

Second point is there is no substitute for actual field shooting. The ballistic calculator is a great tool, but it requires good data for good solution. Little nuances like barrel twist have effects on the BC of your bullet which create compounding accuracy effects,  or standard devation causing a vertical miss.

The only way to know that you are where you expect to be is to shoot farther than you expect to hunt and verify your ballistic solutions.

Relying on published data is a dissapointment waiting to happen.

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 05:50:01 PM »

While most people were eating lunch today, I was working out details and ordering a reamer for a .22 Nosler necked up to 6mm for a AR project.🙃

How did I get drug into this??? :chuckle: Don't be jealous just because you didn't build the CT pistol first; you know you want one.

And I think I beat you to the 6mm project too while working with Gunsmith-X/McFiddlesticks like a year ago. You're just cheating and using the readily available 22 nosler case instead of forming it form an obscure European case. Fine, do it the easy way if you want. Maybe I'll just build a 6mm Dasher using the last of the ARP .473" bolts and extensions and run circles around your little 6mm.

Back on topic, I imagine that the 250 Accubond will drop more than the Sierra. Sierra is pretty darn close on their posted BCs, Nosler not so much.

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 06:35:10 PM »

How did I get drug into this??? :chuckle: Don't be jealous just because you didn't build the CT pistol first; you know you want one.

And I think I beat you to the 6mm project too while working with Gunsmith-X/McFiddlesticks like a year ago. You're just cheating and using the readily available 22 nosler case instead of forming it form an obscure European case. Fine, do it the easy way if you want. Maybe I'll just build a 6mm Dasher using the last of the ARP .473" bolts and extensions and run circles around your little 6mm.

Back on topic, I imagine that the 250 Accubond will drop more than the Sierra. Sierra is pretty darn close on their posted BCs, Nosler not so much.

I thought Dirk hung it up and moved to Fla to pursue a professional shuffleboard career?

Said something about all the single hoochi mama's needing love and that guns just weren't all that challenging anymore...

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 06:45:26 PM »
I thought Dirk hung it up and moved to Fla to pursue a professional shuffleboard career?

Said something about all the single hoochi mama's needing love and that guns just weren't all that challenging anymore...

I thought he was focusing on his long term goal of becoming internet famous and a master level small engine repair technician? I'll have to ask him.

Offline Jolten

• Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 06:51:20 PM »

Idk... I've shot .50s.... But that CT instantly made me think maybe my balls weren't as big as I thought.  :dunno:

Between York and Biggerhammer. And occasionally Sharkbait... I feel like I need to build a poor man's custom off a savage Axis action

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 06:55:04 PM »
Hoochies and Firearms go great together.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 06:59:44 PM »
"Maybe I'll just build a 6mm Dasher using the last of the ARP .473" bolts and extensions and run circles around your little 6mm".

Now that stung a little..

I talked to Compas Lake Engineering about building me a AR barrel in 6mm Dasher from a Bartlien blank with that extension and bolt. They were sniveling about how unsafe it was. I told them who cares your not the one pulling the trigger. Still looking for someone that would spin it up for me.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 07:06:14 PM by Biggerhammer »

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 07:04:59 PM »

Idk... I've shot .50s.... But that CT instantly made me think maybe my balls weren't as big as I thought.  :dunno:

Between York and Biggerhammer. And occasionally Sharkbait... I feel like I need to build a poor man's custom off a savage Axis action

It's a great example of why because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be done. :tup: A Savage action will get you into some pretty fun calibers if you think out side the box. I think I have 375 BME reamer floating around somewhere still......

"Maybe I'll just build a 6mm Dasher using the last of the ARP .473" bolts and extensions and run circles around your little 6mm".

Did I go to far? :chuckle:

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 07:11:05 PM »

It's a great example of why because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be done. :tup: A Savage action will get you into some pretty fun calibers if you think out side the box. I think I have 375 BME reamer floating around somewhere still......

Did I go to far? :chuckle:

I've been contemplating floating that "Floating around" .375 BME reamer to my gunsmith.

Offline Jolten

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 07:31:55 PM »
Hmm I doubt I'd want a super magnum. T-Rex tags seem to be in short supply.

I was pondering doing something in a 6.5 or 7mm. I haven't seen any 9mm rifles so not sure on their practicality

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 08:42:46 PM »
Hoochies and Firearms go great together.

Actually I think he meant  toothless cougars.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]