collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Applying as a group for OIL tags  (Read 3829 times)

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
Applying as a group for OIL tags
« on: May 28, 2017, 09:54:08 PM »
Let's hear your stories.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
Re: Applying as a group for OIL tags
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 10:08:46 PM »
Having only been on 1 oil hunt, not my own, I can't imagine having multiple tags. 1 tag has enough stress. Lol

I would love to hear a multiple oil hunting story.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 10:37:33 AM »
I have always applied solo assuming my buddies would come along for the ride if I was drawn. The same would go if one of them drew.  Now that my kids are hunting and getting old enough to go to more extreme areas I may be putting in as a team with them to increase their chances of drawing.  I already do that for deer permits and at this point I am starting to think that it might be a once in a lifetime hunt.

Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline jaredwitman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 12:09:23 PM »
I put in as a pair for all my OIL tags for a few reasons. I love having people along to experience the hunt with me and visa versa but also for the fact that if I am the only one to draw, I plan on spending a significant amount of time off work filling that tag... If I need some help I would be asking my family members to take off work to help fill a tag they don't hold themselves. Its a bit hard for me do ask that of anyone, we all have to work...unless of course we draw an OIL :tup: :tup:. It goes without saying though that I would have all the help I need regardless if I put in as a pair or not. So basically it comes down to getting to celebrate a drawn OIL with another person as opposed to just myself.

I have been on two OIL hunts over the last few years. My uncle and my dad always put in as pairs and drew Any Moose one year, and the following drew Goat! The chances of that happening absolutely blow my mind!!!! But regardless, these hunts will forever hold a top spot as the best hunts I have ever experienced. It helps that all four tags were filled but outside of the harvest I cannot think of any other time I had spent such quality time chasing a once in a lifetime opportunity with two of the most influential people in my life. High stress? yes. Confused at times? yup. tough work, long days, lots of planning, trial by error? Absolutely. But when you put all of that together in a one time deal hunt, a memory is created that will live with you forever..... what a blast!!!!   

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 12:10:58 PM »
Awesome story jared.  Thanks for sharing your experience. :tup:
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 12:12:24 PM »
I have always applied solo assuming my buddies would come along for the ride if I was drawn. The same would go if one of them drew.  Now that my kids are hunting and getting old enough to go to more extreme areas I may be putting in as a team with them to increase their chances of drawing.  I already do that for deer permits and at this point I am starting to think that it might be a once in a lifetime hunt.

:yeah: for me, if a partner draws, we have won (or vs versa)! All of my friends would go and participate, the shot is just one small moment of this experience. Film, pictures, OIL experience is where its at!
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 12:19:08 PM »
Wow Jared, that is a crazy story.  I could totally see that as I get older and wanting to share the entire experience with one of my hunting partners.  Filling one of these tags on a record book animal takes a ton of work.  Trying to fill both tags I think I would just go for the best shot possible at the best animal I could find in my allotted time.  This thread has really got me to thinking, I might just start putting in for these tags as a team.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »
Jared I've seen the Goat pictures and 1 video I believe... But not the moose!

Awesome story.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline jaredwitman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 12:27:33 PM »
Jared I've seen the Goat pictures and 1 video I believe... But not the moose!

Awesome story.

If I get a second to write up the experience of that video Ill be sure to post. Absolutely unreal! He shot fairly late in the day which made for an even longer night! its a great story.

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 06:28:29 AM »
I've got two or three guys who have all agreed of one of us draws OIL we will all help scout and take time off in the fall for the hunt. If I did not have that I would definitely put in with a group just for the help.

Offline Falcon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 04:51:46 PM »
I've got two or three guys who have all agreed of one of us draws OIL we will all help scout and take time off in the fall for the hunt. If I did not have that I would definitely put in with a group just for the help.

Great way to go right there.  I drew my moose tag and was grateful to always have at least 1 hunting buddy with me each day.  On day 12, there were 4 of us at the kill site processing my bull.  A huge job even with a good crew.  Would never attemp that hunt alone😬
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 05:08:25 PM »
I haven't drawn yet but I started applying as a group with my daughter because I have max points and it may increase her odds of drawing and being able to hunt with her old man before I am too crippled to hunt.  At this point I would rather see her draw one of the big 3 than me but both drawing would be a dream come true even though the odds are against us.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]