collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Loophole allows "illegal" bear hunt with dogs--King 5 Story  (Read 16191 times)

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
Re: Loophole allows "illegal" bear hunt with dogs--King 5 Story
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 08:20:19 PM »
Me personally, I know the huggers are never going to allow baiting or hound hunting again... so it would be really nice if they want ahead and nixed the hound hunting that is allowed currently and opened up more spring bear opportunity... maybe separate OTC tags for certain units?

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 08:23:50 PM »
Me personally, I know the huggers are never going to allow baiting or hound hunting again... so it would be really nice if they want ahead and nixed the hound hunting that is allowed currently and opened up more spring bear opportunity... maybe separate OTC tags for certain units?
I agree hound hunting should be for public safety,not property damage,more tags can be given untill a quota has been reached ,they don't seem to have a problem doing it this way for cougar. :dunno:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline CementFinisher

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 08:32:40 PM »
hunters at other hunters throats. sickening!

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 08:52:21 PM »
hunters at other hunters throats. sickening!

You know as well as I do that once people see this the tree huggers are going to call for it to be banned like the rest, and looking at the past it seems like they almost always get their way so you know how its going to go... when(not if) it happens, hopefully it will open up more opportunities for spring bear hunting for the rest of us.

Offline GBoyd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2017, 09:26:16 PM »
It really bothers me that the agency is allowing this much population reduction. Some amount of crop damage from wildlife should be expected. I don't see any reason to go kill a ton of bears every time Weyco complains about some dead trees.

Remember, public corporations have no interest in wildlife. It costs them money to allow animals on their property. If the shareholders got their way, they would remove all the bears, deer, and elk. The reason the animals exist on that land is that we have laws protecting them. It's completely within our rights to obligate them to tolerate a little more peeling. Especially because bears are OTC and open season for half the year! It's not an easy hunt, but plenty of bears are killed within the recreational hunt.

WDFW should drastically reduce the damage permits and restrict them to the most extreme cases.

Offline Alan K

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2017, 10:06:08 PM »
Before spring bear seasons would be allowed on their property, I'd bet land owners would utilize supplemental feeding. Both cannot be used at the same time for obvious reasons, and feeding has been proven more effective at limiting damage. Depredation permits are generally sought to target the bears that insist on peeling despite having access to unlimited feed.

The purpose of these depredation permits are not in any way to replace recreational hunts, it's to reasonably limit property damage.

I know part of the OP's gripe is over free access, and by some of the posts it looks like some people think land owners are replacing 'lost' general season harvest with depredation harvest but that just isn't the case looking at the numbers. Since access permits became prevalent depredation harvest has actually steadily declined.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2017, 11:47:12 PM »
Peeling can be a huge problem.  I've found entire stands if toner decimated.  Either way I am super pleased to hear they are killing bears.  This state needs to kill way way more bears!   :twocents:

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
Peeling can be a huge problem.  I've found entire stands if toner decimated.  Either way I am super pleased to hear they are killing bears.  This state needs to kill way way more bears!   :twocents:
Agreed

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline headshot5

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 06:52:45 AM »
Peeling can be a huge problem.  I've found entire stands if toner decimated.  Either way I am super pleased to hear they are killing bears.  This state needs to kill way way more bears!

I agree. 

Offline HighCountryHunter88

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 07:21:15 AM »
what everyone seems to be missing is the point that boot hunters cannot kill enough bears in a certain amount of time in a specific local... if they opened up a couple square miles around the damage open for everyone, everyone would be complaining about how crowded it is and how its a joke.. Hounds are the best tool for the job.

also, meat, hides, ect. are all to be turned in for each kill. its not going to waste.
-Matt

Offline fireweed

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2017, 08:43:30 AM »
Do you not understand why the timber company's greatly prefer letting in a few select guys rather than a pile of boot hunters to kill off the amount of bears they need killed?
Of course timber companies greatly prefer it, but bears are an asset of the people and  are supposed to be managed by the state for the benefit of everyone in the state, even if big timber is inconvenienced.   

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2017, 12:11:53 PM »
Debate about it all you want. The fact is it is a political game like everything else. The license buying boot hunter gets the short end of the stick again. This state is backwards and keeps getting worse. Huggers with their ill minded agenda's and corporate tree farms that only care about profit :twocents:
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Debate about it all you want. The fact is it is a political game like everything else. The license buying boot hunter gets the short end of the stick again. This state is backwards and keeps getting worse. Huggers with their ill minded agenda's and corporate tree farms that only care about profit :twocents:
You would think that the department would want to sell a couple hundred more spring bear permits to bring in some more cash...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2017, 12:19:43 PM »
You would think!  But everything is so damn political that logic is gone with the wind.
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline seth30

• Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2017, 02:37:18 PM »
My Ex wife's coworkers husband did that for the timber companies I believe.  When he told me about it, I thought it was all BS and trying to sound cool.  :bash:
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]