collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bridget and I having fun in central WA with our new Nikon  (Read 2918 times)

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
Bridget and I having fun in central WA with our new Nikon
« on: May 30, 2017, 12:53:11 AM »
The chuck is at about 75 yards and the hawk at about 275.  I didn't range them though, but where we shot the photos I have shot before... a lot. 

I think that once we get a remote shutter release things will improve significantly, but we just got the camera and Bridget and I are pretty enthusiastic about it so far.  It was pretty warm in central WA this weekend and with the hawk I am thinking about how much mirage degrades resolution in our spotting scopes and we have a 100mm Unertl Team Scope and there are still none that have much on that old scope for resolving fine detail.

Funny thing about the chucks, their nose is soft in almost all the shots even though I can see individual hairs on their face and body.  Once I get the hang of this blasted camera with so many settings I think that I can force shutter priority and beat that down.  Me thinks the little rascals nose never stops twitching. 

As I sit here typing this I have 15-20K invested in Nikon & Bronica film gear sitting within yards of me, including a 500mm Nikor for the Bronica & had a 300 2.8 ED-IF Nikor until some idiot stole it and this is a whole new experience for me to be able to reach out like this... and the damnable thing will take movies.

With my film cameras I couldn't crop and get the detailed resolution on a print I get with this $500 camera.  Too much grain even with slide films. 

I was setting up for digiscoping when I stumbled across this thing and to just take the camera out of the truck and snap it into a tripod instead of setting up one of our scopes with a camera made digiscoping really second best after I came across this setup. 

Up til now my digital world has been small point and shoots.  I really haven't kept up after Bridget was born and don't use my film gear at all any more.  From what I have gathered, I am fairly safe from going all in in the digital world, in order to beat what I have in film gear with a digital setup I would make my investment in Bronica & Nikon film gear look like child's play before I even rounded first base.  Other than auto-focus (which, by the way, is driving me nuts) and onboard metering, I don't see what I could possibly hope to gain w/a DSLR.  But my fear is that once I get going on something I just want to see how far I can go.   
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:17:41 AM by JDHasty »

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
Re: Bridget and I in central WA with our new Nikon
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 01:18:38 AM »
More

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 01:22:22 AM »
Another chuck. Amazing how a big daddyo chuck can really flatten out.   

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 01:48:14 AM »
Bridget got off three shots with her rifle and bagged one, but it fell down into a hole.  So my $550 taxidermy bill is still on the horizon.  I promised her a chuck mount with two glass eyes for her first chuck.  Hell of it is we couldn't shoot the colony I had picked out for her, a couple knuckle heads with AR's made that whole coulee "family only" when pretty much everyone who used to ask was given access.  Nothing like a couple yeahoos blazing away with ball ammo to screw it up for everyone. 

The six or seven alfalfa growers who live in that coulee are all related and they all got together last month and decided it would be "family only."  They are going to have another pow wow and talk about "friends & family" because they miss letting us "old friends" have at it.  I guess another couple numbskulls nobody knew showed up wanting to "go coyote hunting" and were given the go ahead and asked to use caution and then before their day was done started blasting away and sent ricochets everywhere last winter... NOT AGAIN Damnit!!!!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 06:26:10 PM by JDHasty »

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 05:33:54 AM »
Who is Bridget?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 05:54:34 AM »
Bridget got off three shots with her rifle and bagged one, but it fell down into a hole.  So my $550 taxidermy bill is still on the horizon.  I promised her a chuck mount with two glass eyes for her first chuck.  Hell of it is we couldn't shoot the colony I had picked out for her, a couple knuckle heads with AR's made that whole coulee "family only" when pretty much everyone who used to ask was given access.  Nothing like a couple yeahoos blazing away with ball ammo to screw it up for everyone. 

The alfalfa growers who live in that coulee all got together last month and decided it would be "family only."  They are going to have another pow wow and talk about "friends & family" because they miss letting us "old friends" have at it.  I guess another couple numbskulls nobody knew showed up wanting to go coyote hunting and were given the go ahead and asked to use caution and then sent ricochets everywhere last winter... NOT AGAIN Damnit!!!!

and that, my friends who are not friends or family is what makes access difficult.  I'm an old friend and... ya' know what?  As soon as things get sorted out Bridget and I will shoot chucks there, and hunt coyotes there, the rest of our lives if we want to and when I say that I have references the fact that I am among the favored few who the growers in this coulee will allow in means that a hell of a lot of dirt is opened up for us to shoot on all over central and eastern WA.     

The AR strikes again!

Those dirty rotten AR owners will ruin the world.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 08:44:51 AM »
Who is Bridget?

My eight year old daughter

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]