collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New spring bear guidelines in 2018?  (Read 13019 times)

Offline SilkOnTheDrySide

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
New spring bear guidelines in 2018?
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2017, 05:52:43 AM »
I would be insanely sad if they opened up the Blues to an OTC tag.

Trophy mentioned it above, it's a special place to hunt bears in the spring.

Part of what makes it special is the complete lack of people.

And yes, most of that is because people can't handle the country. But don't mistake that for a general population not being able too...I know lots of guys who can and do handle the Wenaha, and it would be a scenario Im not in favor of.

You think it wouldn't be over hunted, but it would. And it would lose what makes it special.

I wouldn't mind them throwing a few more units to spread some guys out, but don't destroy some of the best bear bear hunting this state offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% Disagree on it being overhunted.  Isn't it funny how Washington and Idaho share a border, but everyone assumes that what works just across the border would never work here.  Just like the comment about too many sows getting shot.  I guess hunting just across the state line gives you super powers to discern between boars & sows.  Stop believing the lies!

So when you go hunt Idaho do you see bears every day?

How about draw units next to general units. I mean they share a border. The hunting is probably the same right?

It's about the quality of these hunts, not just about whacking as many bears as you can.

And I'm not talking about just amount and size of bears. That place is special for its lack of other hunters, even with 50 tags.

Personally, is be ok with say 25 additional tags, but not a free for all...

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 06:13:32 AM by SilkOnTheWetSide »

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: New spring bear guidelines in 2018?
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2017, 06:23:48 AM »
I say if they want to make extra cash then give a baiting incentive type permit where you pay a little extra , make it where your bait station has to have a lat and long so it can be inspected (because people are disgusting and like to bait with the wrappers and crud still on it) it's the best way to keep from killing a sow with cubs this targeting just the boars or does without cubs!!
*sows - but I think that was banned by initiative, so unless you can get enough signatures on to get another one on the ballet, and then get enough people in King County drunk/high enough to vote in your favor on election night, it isn't happening in this state.
if memory serves me correct, which my memory sucks , wasn't that while baiting and hound hunting initiative done illegally or wasn't done correctly? I beleive the WDFW has the power to make a baiting permit season if they so desired !! I am only thinking of ways for OUR messed up money hungry department of wildlife could make more money and cut down the bear population which has exploded do to the fact that they took away or I should say allowed to be voted away the ONLY two effective ways of controlling the bear population !!
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline headshot5

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2017, 06:41:13 AM »
if memory serves me correct, which my memory sucks , wasn't that while baiting and hound hunting initiative done illegally or wasn't done correctly? I believe the WDFW has the power to make a baiting permit season if they so desired !! I am only thinking of ways for OUR messed up money hungry department of wildlife could make more money and cut down the bear population which has exploded do to the fact that they took away or I should say allowed to be voted away the ONLY two effective ways of controlling the bear population !!

Initiative 655 violated our Washington State constitution, Article 2 section 19.  It sucks, but I don't see it getting reversed.   :bash:

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2017, 07:20:03 AM »
I would like to see lots of spring permits in most GMU's, but not so many that it's no longer a quality hunt. The exceptions could be some of the GMU's in western Washington in which access is mostly controlled by Weyerhaeuser, Rayonier, or some other timber company. For those units, go ahead and make it an OTC spring bear hunt. The number of hunters are already being limited by the timber companies.

Offline SilkOnTheDrySide

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2017, 07:28:42 AM »
I would like to see lots of spring permits in most GMU's, but not so many that it's no longer a quality hunt. The exceptions could be some of the GMU's in western Washington in which access is mostly controlled by Weyerhaeuser, Rayonier, or some other timber company. For those units, go ahead and make it an OTC spring bear hunt. The number of hunters are already being limited by the timber companies.

This is a good idea. Also limit choices to two units IMO if we do this!

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2017, 07:29:40 AM »

That makes sense.

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2017, 07:58:05 AM »
With the amount of logging going on in the spring good luck with any timber farms.  Way too much logging traffic to even access the la d.

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2017, 10:49:08 AM »
jkThomps did some research on the Monroe Unit spring bear for next year.  Here is the discussion in another thread.  If anything, there will be a move for less spring bear hunting. 

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,210639.msg2830546.html#msg2830546

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:04:10 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]