collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shooting consistently left...what's wrong?  (Read 11645 times)

Offline geauxtigers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Shooting consistently left...what's wrong?
« on: June 12, 2017, 09:29:58 PM »
I just bought a bow after rifle hunting for a long time.  I won't name names, but the guy at the shop where I bought it seemed pretty knowledgeable and I had him install my Spot-Hogg Hunter sight, rest, etc. 

I've shot a few different times, and no matter how I adjust the sight I'm consistently hitting left of my aiming point.  My friend (already a bowhunter) and I did more than just the standard adjustments, I actually adjusted how the sight is mounted to move the entire sight further left.  All that and no real change, I'm still hitting left (but in tighter, more consistent groups as I've shot more the past couple weeks).  At this point I'm convinced that the way I'm holding the bow or looking through my peep/sight is incorrect and that's causing me to shoot left, no matter how the sight is adjusted.

Two questions:
  • Does anyone have suggestions of what I may be doing wrong?
  • Is there a good shop/range where a professional could watch me shoot and help dial in the sight.  Hopefully they can point out what I'm doing wrong and we can correct it in the process.

Thanks

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Re: Shooting consistently left...what's wrong?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 09:40:07 PM »
I am "not" an expert by no means but I would say you may be torqueing your bow. Once your bow has been tuned (paper, walk back tuned) and initial pins are pretty much set (hitting the same POI windage/elevation at 20, 30, 40, etc.) and "then" you start hitting left, you may not be using a consistent anchor point, "or", be gripping your bow handle too tightly resulting in pulls to the left (talking right handed shooter here).  Remember, when your bow "goes off" for the lack of a better term, it should be somewhat of a surprise.  Try to watch your arrow fly through the peep (not really possible all the way through the shooting cycle but it keeps you in the correct position at release and follow through) once you touch off your release, your bow should in theory fall away from your grip (don't grip it too tight, some what open handed perhaps only touching the index finger and thumb of your left hand) being caught in essence by your bow sling.  Just my meager .02. 

Edit:  Are you certain your arrow spine is correct? 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 09:52:08 PM by WapitiTalk1 »
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline geauxtigers

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 09:55:43 PM »
Thanks Wapiti.  Yes the spine is correct. 

At the shop he just had me shoot through the paper a couple times, I personally didn't shoot at any target or actual distance.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 10:03:22 PM »
You're too far away or I'd invite you over and we'd do some bow tuning and practice a bit.  Perhaps take it back to the shop and explain what you're going through.  Most shops are pretty good at helping a person out who bought a bow there.  Paper tuning is a good start to ensure your rest and nock point (D loop) are set up correctly.  Then walk back tuning will get the final bugs out of your tune (that's usually results in very, very minor tweaking of your rest and nock point).  Once that is done, set your pins and continue to work on your form and consistent release... Once you're burning them in pretty decently at pre determined yard markers, then, you should move to broad head tuning to finalize the process. Again, no expert by no means but that's the drill I always go through with a new bow, or, picking up the old bow after a long winter layover to ensure all is well.  RJ
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 10:07:13 PM »
Make sur that your anchor points are consistent, nose on the string, nickel
Behind the jaw, etc.

A problem I have while
Shooting my bow, is that irony like to cover up the target with my pin. I like to be able to see where I am aiming. Practice, practice, practice and you will find what works for you. Just remember that consistency is key while shooting a bow.

Offline hogslayer

• Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 10:07:35 PM »
Might sound weird but I started teaching a guy how to shoot and he constantly looks through the wrong eye.  If you knock and arrow, and hold the rest up, your pins will usually end up just outside of your arrow.  Where have you been shooting at?

Offline sneakyjake

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 11:35:53 PM »
If your bow is paper tuned.   Then it is grip and form. After that , work on the arrows.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 05:49:34 AM »
Guessing your are shooting right handed?  Seems like righties tend to shoot left from little reading I have done.
Sounds like torquing a bit to me as well.  I have seen (and done) two types of torquing of the bow myself.

• Hand torque - probably the most common.  If you look at experienced or pro shooters, many shoot open handed, that is to relax the hand and not hand torque.  You don't want to squeeze the grip of the bow, you want the pressure of the bow at full draw to hold it in the meat of your hand.  Even open hand you can torque, because you need to do it the same every single time.  practice practice practice.  I use a hybrid style hold that has helped me be more consistent.  I make the "OK" sign with my bow hand.  Tip of pointer finger to tip of thumb and I make or round,  not pinching grip with my thumb.  This makes for an easy to repeat tactile grip as well as more secure grip on bow.
  • Arm torquing - this one I still run into problems with time to time.  I will get into shooting position and when I come up I am left or right of my intended target.  rather than twist at the waist I move my bow arm.  I can tell when I have done it right on release as usually my bow will jump left or right on release.  This just takes practice and being aware of how you are aiming.  Something I am still working on myself at times.

As for setup. I am again new, but I have found it best to setup the bow so it is comfortable to you is important.  There are certain base things on stance that we need to maintain, but beyond that setting the bow to work with a natural draw and hold helps.  Lot more experienced guys ehre than me but what has worked for me  is to draw the bow repeatedly with my eyes closed and settle into a shooting position naturally while at the shop with the tuner.  Let them see your draw as well as your natural hold, then hopefully they can set the sights and peep to match it for you as well as give you a few little things to maybe change or adjust.

Offline JBar

• The Family "Guide"
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 06:57:45 AM »
How far left? 6 inches at 20 yards or just an inch? Try tweaking your arrow rest 1/16 of an inch usually this won't mess with the tune bit will correct your problem, if that doesn't help probably form.
Shut up and Hunt!

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 08:29:08 AM »
I'm guessing you're off about 2-3" left of center at 20 yards. If so, you might me either popping the trigger instead of a smooth, steady pull, or you're pushing the bow with your left hand toward the target upon release. Torquing, as stated earlier, may also be the cause. Make sure you're not gripping the bow tightly.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 11:47:37 AM »
100% operator error. I had the same problem after not shooting for several months. For me it was how I was gripping/holding the bow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Tjv28

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 04:56:11 PM »
Go back into a shop. Nock point or black creek

Offline geauxtigers

• Tracker
Shooting consistently left...what's wrong?
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 05:20:11 PM »
Probably about 6".  I'm heading into the shop on Friday, thanks for all the input.  Even if each piece of feedback doesn't fix this problem at least i'm learning some things to think about going forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SteelheadTed

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 05:32:25 PM »
left ball heavier than right ball.
I know I've lost it, let me know if you come across it

Offline hogslayer

• Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 05:41:36 PM »
Hahaha.  That's awesome. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]