collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Peaches - Planning through the hunt  (Read 24808 times)

Offline scudmaster

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Aim Small, Miss Small!
Re: Peaches
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2017, 09:56:40 PM »
I was able to draw the Muzzy tag with 9 points.  Want to do a wilderness hunt.  If anyone had done this hunt, I would love to pick your brain.  Good luck to all, no matter what you drew.
with that tag u don't need to go i to the wildernes to get a 330+ bull but a
good true wilderness hunt that u can get the meat out fast enough with out horses: start at cement basin.  u get there by east bound hw 410 about 10min after u reach the summit of Chinook Pass and start to descend on the left hand side you'll see a blue sign "bear Gap" take that left follow that road as far as you can and hike straight up the hill fastest way to get there is just a bust brush beeline straight up. then u will see cement basin on your GPS or map. head that way.  on the way and a few miles past it up will find lots of good places to hunt. some times u will be competing with the Outfitters and guides but from my experience I've had them treat me with respect. About 13 years ago who i think was Chinook Pass Outfitters was up there with a few clients and they were very nice and respectful even gave us a few pointers.

Thanks Scoutdog.  Weighing the options of outfitting it.  While the area look small on the map, those ridges and valleys are steep.  I know it is not necessary, but I just want the backcountry experience, derelict is correct, you certainly don't need to go into the backcountry for the hunt to be successful.
NRA Life Member
WA Wild Sheep Life Member
Snoqualmie Elk Mgmt Group
RMEF Member
BHA Member
Blue Lives Matter

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2017, 10:10:15 PM »
Well, I got my first shipment of maps in the mail today and got a nice start on the desk scouting.  I have a primary large area to dice up as well as three secondary smaller areas.  There are some discrepancies in state lands, so I need to at least keep that in mind if I end up hunting a distant plan C.

Now, I need to figure out when I can get in there after the snow melts as well as two other questions.  Are any of the roads closed during the hunting season (should be easy enough to find) which could open up new areas to look at?  Second, how much snow am I likely to run into during the hunt which could close off some areas due to inaccessibility.  I should be able to find at least averages which will let me know how likely I am to run into accessibility troubles.

I guess a third question would be where the animals go if we end up with heavy, early snow.  I plan on talking to the bio about this one just in case.  I'm used to hunting in late October, but not in this part of the state or at the specific elevation, so the conditions might be totally different.

I'm also thinking about camping spots for day trips vs multi-day bivy camping.  When I head over to scout I will check out both established camps as well as NF areas that would be in a good spot for dry camping.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
Re: Peaches - Planning through the hunt
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2017, 09:23:52 AM »
Quick update in case anyone is interested.

Since I have two GMUs to chose from, I wanted to compare the two units in terms of how many people have tags earlier in the season than I (and 109 of my closest hunting partners) have.  I guess it summarizes the difference between the quality permit and the bull permit.

In the unit I am focusing on, there are about 160 permits issued for dates before mine (archery quality, modern quality, youth muzzy, 65+ muzzy and disabled quality).  Even with that pressure, there is a 45% success rate for my tag with 78% of them shooting a 5+ point bull.  So, they certainly are there to find and it isn't just the locals knowing where they honey holes are.

In my research, it became clear that the mature bulls are:

a) not likely to be in the same area they are during summer scouting or the rut season
b) probably not going to be with the cows and immature bulls
c) are likely to be in spots that offer the most protection (cover or geography) - they have survived several hunting seasons

That's probably pretty basic stuff to most, but this is my first hunt where I will be doing a true spot and stalk on mature bulls.  My previous experience was with cow tags, or during the general season where I found success finding places the other hunters will run the elk into five seconds after legal hours.

The maps all arrived except for one or two and I have what I need.  There are some interesting discrepancies in state land, but in areas I'm not interested in so I don't have to research further.  I'm using a combination of paper maps, Onyx and Google Earth and after about 10 hours of work have a pretty good feel for the land.  I also have my list of trailheads and established campsites to scout as well.  I will also spend some time looking at NF land for a wall tent basecamp.

Using that, I wanted to find as many spots as possible that fit the bill.  I found one primary spot and am working on finalizing a few others.  Of course, what makes them attractive potential areas is the fact they suck at getting to by both boot and saddle.  Depending on what I find and where I end up on opening morning, I might need to line up a few potential packers.

I also penciled out the entire summer and fall on the calendar as well as opening days for the earlier seasons.  My goal is to get in there during other seasons to see where the common areas for drop camps and pressure will be and use that to finalize my plan (knowing it will be somewhat different for the later seasons).  Ideally, I will be able to observe a few escape routes as well as check my primary areas for sign from past seasons.  Both of my kids have expressed interest in some backpacking trips, so I hope to include them in one or more scouting trips.

Finally, my idea of buying no new gear is running into snags.  Depending on the outcome of the first few scouting trips, a spotter will probably be necessary as well as a new stove and filter.  I managed to pick up a new headlamp on clearance as well as trekking poles at Costco.  I'm also considering a tripod and bino adapter even if I don't need a spotter but need to do some research as my budget will likely be about $100 for a tripod and I know nothing about them.

My next step is to finalize target areas and then finalize my first two scouting trips to check them out and get a first-hand feeling for the unit.  From there, I'll modify as necessary and do it again followed by in-season scouting and then the hunt.  On the side, I need to finalize my plan for my doe tag and see if I can find a youth season for my daughter that doesn't overlap my permit season - I'm really hoping I can get her out for at least a weekend this year. 

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2017, 09:49:43 AM »
We're interested! Keep it coming and good luck.

Offline scoutdog346

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2017, 11:00:08 AM »
Hey guys. I've been hunting the 346 since I was a kid, but for whatever reason have never headed over to Norse Peak. I guess you tend to stay in the areas you know. But this is my first time drawing an Any Bull tag in Peaches, so I am wondering what people's opinion is regarding the Wilderness area. Do you reckon the chances of a decent bull are better by going deep into the Wilderness area? Or stick to the areas I already know? I should note, I'm not a road hunter. I go deep and hunt my tail off, but I don't want to waste this tag and I don't seem to come across the big boys in the areas I go. I've seen there are some outfitters that do drop camps, which I am contemplating. But just wanted to hear from others who have spent time in Norse Peak. Thanks in advance.
Norse peek is very good. the only thing is u will be competing with people with horses and it's hard to get the meat out b4 it spoils.  I don't think u need to go to the wilderness with a quality bull tag in 346.  there is way more food down low and u don't have to cover so much area on foot. another good thing about the low lands is if u spook elk down low u can get in ur truck and drive to a different area.  it seem to me that in the wilderness areas if u soon elk in the wilderness they run very far and go to the next bowl or next Canyon over and that makes it hard to stay on them.

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2017, 11:06:28 AM »
Quick update in case anyone is interested.

Since I have two GMUs to chose from, I wanted to compare the two units in terms of how many people have tags earlier in the season than I (and 109 of my closest hunting partners) have.  I guess it summarizes the difference between the quality permit and the bull permit.

In the unit I am focusing on, there are about 160 permits issued for dates before mine (archery quality, modern quality, youth muzzy, 65+ muzzy and disabled quality).  Even with that pressure, there is a 45% success rate for my tag with 78% of them shooting a 5+ point bull.  So, they certainly are there to find and it isn't just the locals knowing where they honey holes are.

In my research, it became clear that the mature bulls are:

a) not likely to be in the same area they are during summer scouting or the rut season
b) probably not going to be with the cows and immature bulls
c) are likely to be in spots that offer the most protection (cover or geography) - they have survived several hunting seasons

That's probably pretty basic stuff to most, but this is my first hunt where I will be doing a true spot and stalk on mature bulls.  My previous experience was with cow tags, or during the general season where I found success finding places the other hunters will run the elk into five seconds after legal hours.

The maps all arrived except for one or two and I have what I need.  There are some interesting discrepancies in state land, but in areas I'm not interested in so I don't have to research further.  I'm using a combination of paper maps, Onyx and Google Earth and after about 10 hours of work have a pretty good feel for the land.  I also have my list of trailheads and established campsites to scout as well.  I will also spend some time looking at NF land for a wall tent basecamp.

Using that, I wanted to find as many spots as possible that fit the bill.  I found one primary spot and am working on finalizing a few others.  Of course, what makes them attractive potential areas is the fact they suck at getting to by both boot and saddle.  Depending on what I find and where I end up on opening morning, I might need to line up a few potential packers.

I also penciled out the entire summer and fall on the calendar as well as opening days for the earlier seasons.  My goal is to get in there during other seasons to see where the common areas for drop camps and pressure will be and use that to finalize my plan (knowing it will be somewhat different for the later seasons).  Ideally, I will be able to observe a few escape routes as well as check my primary areas for sign from past seasons.  Both of my kids have expressed interest in some backpacking trips, so I hope to include them in one or more scouting trips.

Finally, my idea of buying no new gear is running into snags.  Depending on the outcome of the first few scouting trips, a spotter will probably be necessary as well as a new stove and filter.  I managed to pick up a new headlamp on clearance as well as trekking poles at Costco.  I'm also considering a tripod and bino adapter even if I don't need a spotter but need to do some research as my budget will likely be about $100 for a tripod and I know nothing about them.

My next step is to finalize target areas and then finalize my first two scouting trips to check them out and get a first-hand feeling for the unit.  From there, I'll modify as necessary and do it again followed by in-season scouting and then the hunt.  On the side, I need to finalize my plan for my doe tag and see if I can find a youth season for my daughter that doesn't overlap my permit season - I'm really hoping I can get her out for at least a weekend this year.
ur goING to see elk all over 346 b4 ur tag let's u hunt.  just like the permit is: it's a bull tag so I would take the 1st bull u see over 250" it's not a quality and yes it get hit hard.  u said u have the moder firearm bull tag that's right b4 the gen. modern season right?  it's a good tag.  good luck.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2017, 11:38:20 AM »
Yep, modern bull tag.

I haven't needed to field judge elk before, so all six points fall into three categories: real spindly, nice and huge.  I'm hoping for one in the nice to huge category, but I haven't ruled out shooting the first 6x6 I see.  I will definitely pass anything under 6 unless I am on my last day.

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2017, 09:57:04 PM »
I wonder if WDFW not giving as many cow tags out this year IN GMU 346 will make that bull tag better due to less blood, guts and booms going off in the woods. many the Bulls will be a little less cautious?

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2017, 05:05:50 AM »
Or with the additional pressure push them back and make them more cautious
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline SpotNStalker

• Pilgrim
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2017, 09:17:04 AM »
I'm enjoying the thread. I drew the archery permit, and have been in the area before calling for other people who have drawn the tag. Shoot me a PM if you'd like. I'll be up there tomorrow and through the weekend. I'd be happy to chat with you especially after my season. I second the comment about running binos on the tripod. If you're not doing score evaluation, you'll do better glassing with a good 12 or 15x bino on a tripod. It's a game changer. I'll be going up throughout the 2 units throughout summer. Maybe we can meet up one of the weekends you're heading in too. I'll be hunting solo, but have some mules or goats on call to help me out if need be. It's gorgeous country and a fun hunt regardless of success.  :tup:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2017, 09:34:52 AM »
Cool, thanks.  I hadn't thought about the higher power bino option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2017, 05:12:19 PM »
I was able to draw the Muzzy tag with 9 points.  Want to do a wilderness hunt.  If anyone had done this hunt, I would love to pick your brain.  Good luck to all, no matter what you drew.
with that tag u don't need to go i to the wildernes to get a 330+ bull but a
good true wilderness hunt that u can get the meat out fast enough with out horses: start at cement basin.  u get there by east bound hw 410 about 10min after u reach the summit of Chinook Pass and start to descend on the left hand side you'll see a blue sign "bear Gap" take that left follow that road as far as you can and hike straight up the hill fastest way to get there is just a bust brush beeline straight up. then u will see cement basin on your GPS or map. head that way.  on the way and a few miles past it up will find lots of good places to hunt. some times u will be competing with the Outfitters and guides but from my experience I've had them treat me with respect. About 13 years ago who i think was Chinook Pass Outfitters was up there with a few clients and they were very nice and respectful even gave us a few pointers.

Thanks Scoutdog.  Weighing the options of outfitting it.  While the area look small on the map, those ridges and valleys are steep.  I know it is not necessary, but I just want the backcountry experience, derelict is correct, you certainly don't need to go into the backcountry for the hunt to be successful.
go up fifes ridge and hit some of them clear cuts on the right hand side goig up. 

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2017, 05:15:36 PM »
Congrats!! I was lucky enough to draw the sept. 25-29 for peaches!

Sweet
i think thats the best tag in wa.  nice job! 

Offline muledeer78

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2017, 06:28:45 AM »

Sweet
Thanks! I will be hitting it hard scouting mid August all the way up to the hunt.

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2017, 02:29:13 PM »

Sweet
Thanks! I will be hitting it hard scouting mid August all the way up to the hunt.
ur not going tonhave a problim getting a bull ur only problim will be know how big of a bull u should hold out for.  get to know what size is up there so u know what to hold out for. PM me and ill tell u where my honey hole is. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]