collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cougar down  (Read 11124 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Re: Cougar down
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2018, 06:04:52 AM »
Thanks all. So after a plate of cougar backstrap if some didn't tell me i would swear it was a pork chop.

That's what I've always told people when they ask.  I was lucky enough to have a carcass given to me many years ago, would love another.  Congratulations!

Most of the cougar we've taken so far this year are butchered and in freezers, but I could probably save you some cougar meat in the future from a cougar when a hunter doesn't want the meat, that's if we could figure out how to get it to you.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2018, 08:56:18 AM »
Thanks all. So after a plate of cougar backstrap if some didn't tell me i would swear it was a pork chop.

That's what I've always told people when they ask.  I was lucky enough to have a carcass given to me many years ago, would love another.  Congratulations!

Most of the cougar we've taken so far this year are butchered and in freezers, but I could probably save you some cougar meat in the future from a cougar when a hunter doesn't want the meat, that's if we could figure out how to get it to you.

I would figure out a way... roadtrip!   :chuckle:

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2018, 08:57:48 AM »
I like serving it to people as well, let's just say, it is a very educational experience for them when they love the taste of something they have heard is only shot as a "trophy".

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2018, 09:02:50 AM »
I like serving it to people as well, let's just say, it is a very educational experience for them when they love the taste of something they have heard is only shot as a "trophy".

:yeah: totally agree, I'll try to remember you need some next season, we are pretty much done for this year unless I get some last minute hunters wanting a cat
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline SideHillBill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2018, 09:18:06 AM »
We did a roast and it was pretty tasty. I like it fried in the skillet. I have offered it to some friends to try but no takers. All the more for me. I added a couple pics of the skull in the first post. For the guys that have done rugs instead of full body mounts do you have any regrets on one over the other?

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2018, 09:20:45 AM »
We did a roast and it was pretty tasty. I like it fried in the skillet. I have offered it to some friends to try but no takers. All the more for me. I added a couple pics of the skull in the first post. For the guys that have done rugs instead of full body mounts do you have any regrets on one over the other?

Generally a full mount will get a lot more attention than a flat rug!  :dunno:

Offline SideHillBill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2018, 09:33:16 AM »
Thank you for the advice

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2018, 09:46:48 AM »

Generally a full mount will get a lot more attention than a flat rug!  :dunno:
:yeah:
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2018, 10:16:06 AM »
Full body mounts are wasted IMO, if you do not have a cool place for them.  I'll probably do a rug when I get one, but my dad has two full bodies that I get choice of some day....

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2018, 10:33:07 AM »

Don’t tell them till after they eat it ha ha that’s what I do. I agree it’s a good way to counter the message of the antis that lions are killed only for the trophy. That is a nice looking cat but my experience with females or smaller toms is a rug will look Much better than a full body mount on that general size cat. We have both a rug and full body and my opinion is you need a real big headed tom for the full body mount. Just an opinion but I think a rug would show that cat off better. Good job also well done!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]