collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bought a Traeger...  (Read 17092 times)

Offline spddmn6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • N/A
  • Groups: None yet
Re: Bought a Traeger...
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2017, 09:15:15 AM »
Don't let that smoke leaking out of the crack of the door go to waste! After purchasing a gasket from bbqgaskets.com and installing it, the smoke only comes out the chimney now and the temperature is more consistent on the dial.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2017, 10:52:54 AM »
Don't let that smoke leaking out of the crack of the door go to waste! After purchasing a gasket from bbqgaskets.com and installing it, the smoke only comes out the chimney now and the temperature is more consistent on the dial.

Thanks for the tip.

How do you keep it smoking when cooking something at higher temperatures?  It seems that very little smoke is produced at over 150 degrees.

Offline spddmn6

• Pilgrim
    • N/A
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2017, 11:04:15 AM »

Thanks for the tip.

How do you keep it smoking when cooking something at higher temperatures?  It seems that very little smoke is produced at over 150 degrees.

That's exactly it. The high heat just makes it a fancy outdoor oven that uses pellets and puts a hint of smoke on the food. Sealing it up will help a little. Which is better than nothing. When on the smoke setting it is most concentrated. Works great on my pulled pork. Smoke for 3 hours then bump heat up to 250 until done. Very convenient on long cooks if you don't want to add charcoal or wood all the time. Be sure to check the hopper before doing a long cook to save yourself the trouble of running dry.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2017, 11:18:56 AM »
I'm tempted to try plugging up the chimney a little on high heat cooking -not all the way-  but maybe half way with the door gasket in place.   I get a lot of smoke coming out the bucket spout too. 

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2017, 11:24:49 AM »

Thanks for the tip.

That's exactly it. The high heat just makes it a fancy outdoor oven that uses pellets and puts a hint of smoke on the food. Sealing it up will help a little. Which is better than nothing. When on the smoke setting it is most concentrated. Works great on my pulled pork. Smoke for 3 hours then bump heat up to 250 until done. Very convenient on long cooks if you don't want to add charcoal or wood all the time. Be sure to check the hopper before doing a long cook to save yourself the trouble of running dry.

So far, I'm not super impressed, I haven't used it a lot yet but I miss the browned crunch on the top of my grilled salmon.

Offline spddmn6

• Pilgrim
    • N/A
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2017, 11:30:27 AM »
I'm tempted to try plugging up the chimney a little on high heat cooking -not all the way-  but maybe half way with the door gasket in place.   I get a lot of smoke coming out the bucket spout too.

You got me curious now....I might have to play around a bit. I have hardly ever messed with the chimney distance itself.

I forgot about something else I purchased on Amazon to get even more smoke. Search for (A Maze N Pellet Tube Smoker). I bought the 6" and 12" tubes. They are still very new to me. I have used it only a couple times. I haven't used it enough times to really judge the smokey goodness though. The 12" tube will go for about 3 hours. DO NOT grab those things bare handed when they're hot. It hurts. :chuckle:

Offline spddmn6

• Pilgrim
    • N/A
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2017, 11:33:16 AM »

Thanks for the tip.

So far, I'm not super impressed, I haven't used it a lot yet but I miss the browned crunch on the top of my grilled salmon.

Good 'ol Weber kettle and charcoal for me when it comes to grilling. Traeger will never win that competition. Have you tried doing a whole chicken yet?

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2017, 11:36:02 AM »
Not yet, just salmon, and pork chops so far.  Do you do a brine or rub on the chicken?

Offline spddmn6

• Pilgrim
    • N/A
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2017, 11:37:26 AM »
Oh you are missing out then. I have done both. Juicy either way. Cornish hens are also very good as well.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2017, 11:39:51 AM »
Will try that next time I am where the grill is.   :tup:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2017, 11:57:07 AM »

You got me curious now....I might have to play around a bit. I have hardly ever messed with the chimney distance itself.

I forgot about something else I purchased on Amazon to get even more smoke. Search for (A Maze N Pellet Tube Smoker). I bought the 6" and 12" tubes. They are still very new to me. I have used it only a couple times. I haven't used it enough times to really judge the smokey goodness though. The 12" tube will go for about 3 hours. DO NOT grab those things bare handed when they're hot. It hurts. :chuckle:

On a hot summer day in the sunshine you could use that all by itself and leave the treager off.  I bet it would run about 150 in there.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2017, 11:59:57 AM »
I got a bunch of pork in my treager right now, going to smoke it a while then finish off in the turkey cooker.  Too much for the crock pot.

Then I'm going to shred it all and make taquitos, I got a huge skillet I'll do onions, peppers and roll a ton of these things. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2017, 12:03:47 PM »
I got a crock pot stuffed to the gills with pork, going to cook it slow with onions and green chilis some other stuff then cut into small cubes and make a ton of chili verde

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 12:47:24 PM by KFhunter »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2017, 12:05:49 PM »
trying to clean out my freezer, I got hunting season coming up and hogs to butcher and I still got a lot of pork from this spring I butchered a couple non breeders so the roasts are huge

Offline spddmn6

• Pilgrim
    • N/A
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2017, 12:06:19 PM »
That all sounds tasty!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]