collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GA precision rifles anyone  (Read 16329 times)

Online Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
Re: GA precision rifles anyone
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 06:11:43 PM »
Plane rentals aren't cheap either... Been doing that lately, but it's fun

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 06:14:43 PM »
Dunno where your located but you might wanna check out Jeremy Laier down cosmopalis, he does some cool stuff...
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 06:25:18 PM »
Save some scratch and do it yourself, buy some non res tags with the $$$ you save and go kill some stuff... no one  cares what your groups your gun shoots via  www..... at least I don't... killin is fun..

I seem to remember a thread a while back about this very concept. :chuckle:

I have and appreciate both the full custom jobs done by well known smiths as well as some hacksaw jobs done by local nobodies or myself on the floor of my garage. Whenever I can get away with it I try to avoid paying for aesthetics or a name and focus just on actual performance. I have Savages that I've assembled on the tailgate of my truck  for less than $500 spent on parts that shot .25 MOA when a good barrel was used. I've also owned $4000 custom guns that couldn't crack the .25 MOA mark no matter how hard I tried.

If you think of the gun as just a tool to do a job then I don't know that I'd spend the money on a GA precision. But if you think of it as more than a tool I doubt you'd be disappointed with one. Here's my example:

284 Win Savage Stiker that I built for $750 including the McGowen barrel and the muzzle brake. This is a workhorse gun that gets beat up, shot in the rain and snow, thrown in my pack and rolled in the dirt. It's capable of shooting groups in the .5 MOA range out to around 1000 yards. It's not fancy, I spray painted the stock to cover up some sanding that I did on it, and it's all scratched and nicked up from getting abuse over the last couple of years.

The 338 SnipeTac pistol cost a bit over $4000 in total cost of parts and labor to have Alex Wheeler build the gun and Joel Russo make the bubinga stock for it. This gun is more than just a tool that gets used and abused, it's a display of skilled craftsmanship and attention to detail.

Both serve a very different purpose and I see the high dollar semi customs like a GA Precision as more of a display of skill than offering any practical advantage. You could probably buy a rifle that would perform just as well for 30% of the cost but sometimes that's not the goal. I have to say though, if I could have found a way to slap together a 338 SnipeTac pistol in my garage for $1000 I'd have been all over that!

Would it be wrong to admit I get all warm inside every time I see these :dunno:

:chuckle:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 10:41:13 PM »
Save some scratch and do it yourself, buy some non res tags with the $$$ you save and go kill some stuff... no one  cares what your groups your gun shoots via  www..... at least I don't... killin is fun..

I seem to remember a thread a while back about this very concept. :chuckle:

I have and appreciate both the full custom jobs done by well known smiths as well as some hacksaw jobs done by local nobodies or myself on the floor of my garage. Whenever I can get away with it I try to avoid paying for aesthetics or a name and focus just on actual performance. I have Savages that I've assembled on the tailgate of my truck  for less than $500 spent on parts that shot .25 MOA when a good barrel was used. I've also owned $4000 custom guns that couldn't crack the .25 MOA mark no matter how hard I tried.

If you think of the gun as just a tool to do a job then I don't know that I'd spend the money on a GA precision. But if you think of it as more than a tool I doubt you'd be disappointed with one. Here's my example:

284 Win Savage Stiker that I built for $750 including the McGowen barrel and the muzzle brake. This is a workhorse gun that gets beat up, shot in the rain and snow, thrown in my pack and rolled in the dirt. It's capable of shooting groups in the .5 MOA range out to around 1000 yards. It's not fancy, I spray painted the stock to cover up some sanding that I did on it, and it's all scratched and nicked up from getting abuse over the last couple of years.

The 338 SnipeTac pistol cost a bit over $4000 in total cost of parts and labor to have Alex Wheeler build the gun and Joel Russo make the bubinga stock for it. This gun is more than just a tool that gets used and abused, it's a display of skilled craftsmanship and attention to detail.

Both serve a very different purpose and I see the high dollar semi customs like a GA Precision as more of a display of skill than offering any practical advantage. You could probably buy a rifle that would perform just as well for 30% of the cost but sometimes that's not the goal. I have to say though, if I could have found a way to slap together a 338 SnipeTac pistol in my garage for $1000 I'd have been all over that!

Ya I don't really think of my guns as tools. Almost like a connection with them lol. What about the action and bolt you get from GA? Wouldn't that be impossible to find elsewhere? I know almost nothing when it comes to starting a custom build as I've never had a custom gun. I would like a McMillan stock I think painted by a guy that did one of my other guns for me it turned out really freakin sweet. I just want something that's insanely accurate and I want to get into long range shooting for fun but also a gun to use for elk hunting.

Very nice guns btw Yorke. I really like that snipetec very good looking

There are a ton of great custom actions out there to build off of. If I were going to build a repeater I'd take a long look at the Mausingfield. What's not to love about a controlled feed action with a Rem 700 foot print and savage barrel threads?

Offline Pnwrider

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 11:42:53 PM »
Is resale a factor? If so, I'd go with a gap. Long wait at the moment unless you buy an In stock rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rudysts

• Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 08:39:49 AM »
If you decide to go custom be sure to order ahead of time. some actions you can buy right away if you go to the right source. a custom inlet stock can take up to 6 months some of the McMillan's up to 4 weeks. then there is the smith, you have to be careful when they tell you 4 to 6 months when they really mean one year. I know several people who this has happened to so it can be frustrating. for me I have been fortunate to never wait that long the longest wait for me was 6 weeks my last build was a Rem action that needed a new barrel that was previously blueprinted it took 3 weeks including shipping to and from Texas from a very reputable smith who does a lot of bench rest work. I am not sure what Alex Wheeler's lead time is but he is from the bench rest world who applies those techniques to even his hunting rifle builds,Yorke could chime in on his lead time he is one of the best smiths out there he would be a good option for a smith. https://www.wheeleraccuracy.com/services-

Bottom line if you are going to spend that kind of money on your first custom you may as well go to one of the best smith in the country. the wait will be worth it. another option is Ryan Pierce http://www.piercisionrifles.com/ he has built a rifle for me and it only took 6 weeks with all the parts in hand. for my next build I think I may consider  Emil Kovan http://www.matchrifles.com/about.html

Good luck

Offline Duckslayer89

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 11:43:11 AM »
Bump... really been thinking hard on pulling the trigger lately. Anyone have experience with manners carbon stock vs McMillan hunters edge?

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2017, 12:14:33 AM »
Bump... really been thinking hard on pulling the trigger lately. Anyone have experience with manners carbon stock vs McMillan hunters edge?
Toss up.  Manners will ship sample out to you,   I went manners eh1 but could of gone mcmillan a3.  Both great stocks.   
Figure 9 mo lead time. Stocks are running 6 mo as are some barrels and a tions. Hydrodip is 6 weeks lead time.  Add it all up = 9 mo.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2017, 12:48:15 AM »
Toss up.  Manners will ship sample out to you,   I went manners eh1 but could of gone mcmillan a3.  Both great stocks.   
Figure 9 mo lead time. Stocks are running 6 mo as are some barrels and a tions. Hydrodip is 6 weeks lead time.  Add it all up = 9 mo.

Roger. What do you think about the hunters edge from McMillan? That a3 looks like it would be nice to shoot and so does the eh1.

Do you have a GAP magnumwillys?

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2017, 05:35:18 AM »
Dont have one . i think their actions are rebranded defiance ones - the best.
I like stocks with no drop at the top of buttplate so you can shoot prone and have a tall butt plate to soak up recoil.  Hunters edge fits that.  I like it .  Be my choice for an all around stock.   Would bump up to a 1" pad if shooting magnums.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2017, 10:23:00 AM »
Dont have one . i think their actions are rebranded defiance ones - the best.
I like stocks with no drop at the top of buttplate so you can shoot prone and have a tall butt plate to soak up recoil.  Hunters edge fits that.  I like it .  Be my choice for an all around stock.   Would bump up to a 1" pad if shooting magnums.

What do you think about the rail options on an action? They have a screw on type on the Templar action but also one that is machined with it.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2017, 08:35:52 PM »
I really like the machined in tho from a practical standpoint with pins and #8 screws  it wont matter. I went stiller with screwed in base vs deviant with machined base cuz it was $400 cheaper and available now instead  of 9 mo lead time.   

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2017, 08:09:12 PM »
Well should be here in about 4 months at the earliest and 8 months at the latest  :IBCOOL:

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2017, 08:31:24 PM »
GA is the PRIMIER rifle builder, with a non-disputable track record. You can't go wrong with a Non-Typical.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 03:21:30 AM by Biggerhammer »

Offline mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2017, 08:40:32 PM »
Well should be here in about 4 months at the earliest and 8 months at the latest  :IBCOOL:
awesome! You won't be disappointed!
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by timberghost72
[Today at 08:55:00 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]