collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GA precision rifles anyone  (Read 16330 times)

Offline Biggerhammer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
Re: GA precision rifles anyone
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2017, 08:59:59 PM »
George (Owner of GA) is a world class shooter. Proven time and time agian in real world competition. Far above and beyond the self proclaimed  "Local legend" status. Today was a good day. 1st of the year and all the crap is in the past😊😊😊😊😊😊.! Trump is president and the crap bag Seachickens screwed themseleves out of the playoff's.

Couldn't ask for a better new year!!!👍👍👍👍

Offline Duckslayer89

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2017, 09:09:15 PM »
GA is the PRIMIER rifle builder, with a non-disputable track record. You can't go wrong with a Non-Typical.

Hell... The the biggest, sell out, low budget salesmen for the so called "Other" primier rifle builder just took a extended vacation.

Lol who is the other premier builder? But thanks man I'm super stoked. Went with the Templar V2 hunter action, manners EH6A stock in molded elite swamp, Timney Calvin elite trigger 1.5 pounds, cerakoted black, 24 inch barrel 7mm Rem mag. Sounded good to me

I had a chance to handle the EH1, EH3, and EH6 and the EH6 felt the best in my hands with the palm swell and I wanted to option for the adjustable cheek.

I actually ordered in early November but was hesitant to post because people saying should have gone with this guy or this guy or overpriced blah blah but when I called around they were super competitive on pricing and I added all the parts up to buy myself and it wasn't to far off what they wanted!

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2017, 09:14:25 PM »
GA is the PRIMIER rifle builder, with a non-disputable track record. You can't go wrong with a Non-Typical.

Hell... The the biggest, sell out, low budget salesmen for the so called "Other" primier rifle builder just took a extended vacation.

Lol who is the other premier builder? But thanks man I'm super stoked. Went with the Templar V2 hunter action, manners EH6A stock in molded elite swamp, Timney Calvin elite trigger 1.5 pounds, cerakoted black, 24 inch barrel 7mm Rem mag. Sounded good to me

I had a chance to handle the EH1, EH3, and EH6 and the EH6 felt the best in my hands with the palm swell and I wanted to option for the adjustable cheek.

I actually ordered in early November but was hesitant to post because people saying should have gone with this guy or this guy or overpriced blah blah but when I called around they were super competitive on pricing and I added all the parts up to buy myself and it wasn't to far off what they wanted!

Great stock. I prefer the lighter Jewell trigger and if your chambering in 7mm Mag on a custom rig. Why the 24"? 2-4" inches more on a barrel makes no difference in the set up, other than Performance.

Your already in a middle class weight rig, people over rate weight. 2-4" more inches on the barrel means what? The weight of change in your pocket? The weight of half or less of the 16oz water bottle you drank?

Guess it goes back to those who have been there and done that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 09:24:03 PM by Biggerhammer »

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2017, 10:42:38 PM »

Great stock. I prefer the lighter Jewell trigger and if your chambering in 7mm Mag on a custom rig. Why the 24"? 2-4" inches more on a barrel makes no difference in the set up, other than Performance.

Your already in a middle class weight rig, people over rate weight. 2-4" more inches on the barrel means what? The weight of change in your pocket? The weight of half or less of the 16oz water bottle you drank?

Guess it goes back to those who have been there and done that.

I can change the length of barrel still on the build that's kind of why I posted about it, I really don't like long barrels though so to me 24 inches was about as long as I would like but I might need to rethink it?

I went with the Timney CE because the guys at GA suggested for a pure hunting rig it's not as sensitive to dirt and failures as the jewel. My buddy has a jewel though and he's had zero problems but he mostly road hunts for health reasons.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 02:15:28 AM by Duckslayer89 »

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2018, 03:20:42 AM »
Your correct about the Jewell, having to keep them clean. As for barrel length, if you prefer a shorter barrel. Today's powder choices should cover you.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2018, 03:33:12 AM »
Your correct about the Jewell, having to keep them clean. As for barrel length, if you prefer a shorter barrel. Today's powder choices should cover you.

Roger! That Calvin elite is suppose to be bad ass. I love my Timney at 2.5 on my ruger and the guy at GA said he has the Calvin elite at 1.5 on his gun so I'm trusting them. If I don't like it I'll change it out to the jewel for sure. I've heard the shorter stiffer barrels are more accurate? Not sure if that would matter at 24 vs 26 inch barrel.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2018, 08:23:11 AM »
If you start reloading and/or target shooting as a hobby you always want more performance = longer, and gives more flexibility to speed up or soften loads for tuning without going too slow,  but if you can avoid that reloading addiction 24" is handy.

You can always shorten it but you can't make it longer.........

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/04/09/7mm-remington-magnum-velocity-versus-barrel-length/

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2018, 10:13:17 AM »
I agree with the comments to go with a 26 inch barrel. I haven’t ever felt like the barrel held me up in any way while hunting. I have a 300 win with a 28.5 inch barrel or including the brake.

I also like the manners stocks. I have a eh1 in swamp color and ordered another for my next build too.

:tup:
Any idea what bullets you will shoot?

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2018, 01:55:40 PM »
@bullblaster I want to shoot the Berger 180 hunting VLD or the ELD-X. I really like accubond performance on game to but I want to try the bergers after hearing all the reviews. Do you guys believe in the shorter barrel=better accuracy theory?

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2018, 02:05:07 PM »
Accuracy isn’t a product of barrel length. This is the first custom I have had but I can’t imagine it getting much better with a shorter barrel. Just less velocity.
I’ve shot some tiny groups with my 28.5 inch barreled 300. It is always under 1/2 moa and often much smaller.

This pic is 5 rounds and a fouler. The one out of the group was a clean bore then the group. This is probably the smallest group I have shot and sue isn’t the norm but like I said with this set up I expect 1/2 moa when I line up and shoot at 100 and 200 yards

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2018, 02:08:06 PM »
I like both the Berger bullets and eld x. In my experience they perform very similar on game

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2018, 02:52:25 PM »
I like both the Berger bullets and eld x. In my experience they perform very similar on game

That's a nice group man. Hope my gun shoots like that. I like the accubonds but it just seems like the punch threw with my 308 and animals run pretty far. Maybe the 308 just doesn't have the knock down power of the bigger magnums

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2018, 02:56:40 PM »
I like accubonds a lot also, they hit hard and penetrate deep.
The Berger and eld x will shed a good bit more weight than the accubonds and dump more energy into the animal.
I’d be confident using any of the 3 to the ranges I hunt at

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2018, 03:28:41 PM »
I can vouch for .300wm 180 grain Accubond performance on mountain goat sized animals!!
I had bergers and accubonds to choose from and went with the AB's. I guess I like the weight retention thing and I didn't plan on shooting at extended ranges.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2018, 08:54:23 PM »
Alright I bumped the barrel length up to 26 inches it was confirmed today.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]