collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Goose Prairie  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Debark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Goose Prairie
« on: June 18, 2017, 09:35:56 PM »
Goose Prairie (Rife Oct-Nov) Elk tag for my dad. We are newer to hunting big game and would appreciate any input on hunting elk in general! Anything goes a long way! Looking to help land our first big game!

Thank you,
Debark

Offline Debark

• Tracker
Re: Goose Prairie
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 09:36:29 PM »
Goose Prairie (Rife Oct-Nov) Elk tag for my dad. We are newer to hunting big game and would appreciate any input on hunting elk in general! Anything goes a long way! Looking to help land our first big game!

Thank you,
Debark
This is a Bull tag btw!

Offline Brena.Hunter

• Women's Board
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 11:02:11 PM »
My two cousins also drew that tag too. I drew for Peaches Ridge.

I'm not expert in Goose Prairie or big bulls, but as for elk hunting generally my number one piece of advice is to get away from the roads - go in deep. The big boys made it to their age/size by staying away from roads and people. If you can make it up scouting find some good trails - funnels that they go through to get to various resources. You can set up a trail cam to see what's using them, but more important if you don't have a cam is just to look for the sign that they are actually using them. Use Google Earth to read the terrain and narrow down some areas for scouting. I'm not sure how open the woods are there, but if you can set up to glass some bigger areas at first light. Then if you see a goer, do a spot and stalk on him.

The other advice, since you said you are new to big game hunting generally - watch some videos and read up on how to field dress an elk! Assuming you are successful, it's a big job and you don't want to be fumbling around or wasting meat!

Also, since there's a chance you may bag a monster - if you plan to have it mounted learn how to cape it out or you will end up with a hideous mount.

Good luck.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 05:22:42 AM »
Good luck on your permit a lot of guys with many points would love to have that permit.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Debark

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 07:28:01 AM »
My two cousins also drew that tag too. I drew for Peaches Ridge.

I'm not expert in Goose Prairie or big bulls, but as for elk hunting generally my number one piece of advice is to get away from the roads - go in deep. The big boys made it to their age/size by staying away from roads and people. If you can make it up scouting find some good trails - funnels that they go through to get to various resources. You can set up a trail cam to see what's using them, but more important if you don't have a cam is just to look for the sign that they are actually using them. Use Google Earth to read the terrain and narrow down some areas for scouting. I'm not sure how open the woods are there, but if you can set up to glass some bigger areas at first light. Then if you see a goer, do a spot and stalk on him.

The other advice, since you said you are new to big game hunting generally - watch some videos and read up on how to field dress an elk! Assuming you are successful, it's a big job and you don't want to be fumbling around or wasting meat!

Also, since there's a chance you may bag a monster - if you plan to have it mounted learn how to cape it out or you will end up with a hideous mount.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice! I've already laid out the GMUs on my atlas and am going to pick some spots to go check out! Thanks!

Offline JM

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 08:05:18 AM »
Before you go and pick out some backcountry hole around Mt Aix or Bismarck Peak, remember that if you are successful you will have to pack out a large bull elk. Have you thought of hiring an outfitter?

After you pick your spot way back in the wilderness you're going to want to pick a backup spot that is huntable in a morning

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 08:47:48 AM »
The pack out is a lot further now too.   Road washed out and no plans to fix until 2018

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 10:52:24 AM »
I'd look at doing a drop camp if I had that tag.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]