collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: My Elk Season Fitness, is it enough?  (Read 18974 times)

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: My Elk Season Fitness, is it enough?
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2017, 03:54:55 PM »
That sounds about rite for a couple guys and that much meat....60 pounds is a good weight in the mtns  :tup: 

Arnt ya glad ya had a partner ! 

Offline ballstothewaal

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • PLU soccer player and weekend duck/big game hunter
  • Groups: NRA, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever, RMEF
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2017, 04:42:34 PM »
One thing to keep in mind is that the human body has an amazing ability to adapt itself. Keeping this in mind, make sure you have a variety in your fitness plan. More built for power? focus on endurance first. Change up your workouts where you are running some days but hiking others. change up the weight and surface. Adjust variables constantly to get more out of your workout sessions.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2017, 06:30:31 PM »
Congratulations on losing all that weight! Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will your elk body.

Mental toughness is definitely something that is trained. The only problem is that it is trained during season.

As far as physical, you seem to be at a point in your training where you shouldn't be doing any hikes without weight. Start light if you must but work towards 80 pounds or more.

I'd also recommend weening off the treadmill and start going on runs. Push yourself further and further.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sure wouldn't train with 80#'s unless you're just walking smooth easy stuff.  No reason to risk injury before season ever comes.   Just put 25#'s of hunting gear in, and do lots of off trail hiking in steep country.  Training is about building your self confidence so you have that mental strength that you can do it.
:yike:  Train as you hunt!  Silk's advice is what I would follow.  You WILL be faced with a 100lb ruck at some point (or a LOT more loads).  Training with 60-80lbs is totally normal.  Just don't do it on hardtop pavement - That WILL kill your joints.

25 lbs is what he was walking around with for body weight 6 months ago.

50 lb bag of sand is really not that hard after a time or two.

As far as injury goes, not sure how humping 80 lbs of sand on a trail is going to be a cause for injury concern anymore them playing basketball or jogging in a busy area would be.

Once you get accustomed to that I would increase weight further. Of course, a solid pack frame/bag helps in these endeavors. I wouldn't be doing it with a Jansport! 😂

But I can't support the idea of NOT training with heavy weight...doesn't compute with me...

Not training with weight is what will lead to injuries - not the other way around.
Believe what you want, but I'm not going off trail with 80#'s until I have to.  I'm going to get in better shape bushwhacking with 25#'s than trail hiking with 80#'s.  May be different somewhere less thick and nasty, but climbing over deadfall with 80#'s is asking for injury.

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2017, 07:12:26 PM »
The only thing I have to add is my elk hunting usually involves off trail hiking. Walking your own route through the woods is alot different than a logging road or a trail especially with a pack so I would venture out under load at least a couple of times before season.

This is a good reminder for me too. I think Ive finally reached the point I need to get "back" in shape as well.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2017, 07:39:53 PM »
I think Ive finally reached the point I need to get "back" in shape as well.

Yeah I agree with you on this one

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2017, 09:00:30 PM »
The Shuttle pack is a lifesaver for us older guys.   Take a load a half mile, drop and go get another load and take it a mile, drop and go get previous load and take it a mile.  Gives you time to recover without sitting.  Two guys can move a lotta meat this way.  We Count on Two shuttle trips with two guys for a big bull or one for two guys for a typical bull.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2017, 09:52:36 PM »
At 31 years old, do what you're doing by getting your weight down & a moderate full body work out program,. You don't need to do anything superman style for your age, you have youth in your corner. At 50 years old & older you would require a different program & mindset. Do not over think it, you will do fine with a moderate workout & weight control!

ElkNut1

Words of wisdom from Yoda himself.   :yeah:
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2017, 08:20:36 AM »
WOW I had no idea this topic would spark so much conversation but I'm glad to see so many people sharing great tips and information.This week with my pack on and another 20lbs inside it I have been keeping up my routine but added squats and planks. I went from struggling to keep my normal pace with 7-10% grade to not dropping below 11% and able to finish strong. I have keep up my healthy eating and haven't felt this good in years(sleeping better, twice as much energy during the day and feeling stronger overall). Thanks for all the motivation guys and keep the tips coming!  :tup:

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2017, 08:37:29 AM »
Keep it up!  You're doing great! :tup:

Offline Luckyone

• Pilgrim
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2017, 01:17:24 PM »
 If I was you I'd start adding at least 40oz. You your pack and make sure you take the time to drink it!!!!! Gotta enjoy the process...

Offline SilkOnTheDrySide

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2017, 01:44:41 PM »
If I was you I'd start adding at least 40oz. You your pack and make sure you take the time to drink it!!!!! Gotta enjoy the process...

Your weight to alcohol percentage sucks if you're packing 40s. Plus glass is heavy.

Stick to bags of wine or repackaged whiskey!

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2017, 01:48:58 PM »
The one thing that I have found as I have gotten older is you have to fuel the body.  I drink fluids and snack all day when I am hunting ,two bottles of vitamin water, two halo oranges, apple slices, peanuts, cheese, beef jerky and a baked chicken breast go in my pack each morning and are gone by the time I make it back to the truck where I have more food ready and another bottle of vitamin water.  I have really noticed that it helps with muscle fatigue if I stay fueled up all day.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2017, 02:14:23 PM »
The one thing that I have found as I have gotten older is you have to fuel the body.  I drink fluids and snack all day when I am hunting ,two bottles of vitamin water, two halo oranges, apple slices, peanuts, cheese, beef jerky and a baked chicken breast go in my pack each morning and are gone by the time I make it back to the truck where I have more food ready and another bottle of vitamin water.  I have really noticed that it helps with muscle fatigue if I stay fueled up all day.

I agree. Buddies as well as my old man give me a hard time in the morning when I am filling my pack full of food. I eat often at home so my body is used to it and it helps provide me a consistent source of energy. With that said, eating the RIGHT kind of snacks also in very important.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2017, 02:53:44 PM »

I agree. Buddies as well as my old man give me a hard time in the morning when I am filling my pack full of food. I eat often at home so my body is used to it and it helps provide me a consistent source of energy. With that said, eating the RIGHT kind of snacks also in very important.
For sure.  I hit a wall in my early 30's, maybe 32, and thought there is no way I can keep doing this until I am in my 60's.  My father in law was walking away from me going up hills.  Then I figured it out that I couldn't get by on youth alone anymore and started eating smarter, training before the season and hunting smarter.  At 35 I was a rockstar again.  Now approaching 50 there is no doubt in my mind that I will be able to do this into my 60's and hopefully 70's.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2017, 10:50:55 AM »
Update 1 month later:
This last month I have made good progress but I did unfortunately have a minor set back due to a reoccurring injury with my sciatic nerve and lower back. I have had this happen the last few years and this time I was able to finally find out why and how to avoid injuring it again. I found out that I am having the warning signs of a herniated disc, the Dr. believes it is due to my job which had me bending forward for long periods of time to draw(poor posture). Thankfully these were warning signs and nothing serious. After getting a standing station set up at work and doing the stretches recommended I am back to 100%!

Shortly after the injury I was able to hike fairly normal but stopped using the treadmill with weight. By hiking and keeping a solid diet I am down another 10lbs to 205 a grand total of 40lbs in 7 months! My goal of being around 190-195 is now in reach which is exciting as I haven't been below 200lbs in over 10 years. I have started my normal treadmill, push ups, squats and planks with a weighted backpack on(now up to 35lbs) while training again.

I have to give a special thanks to Pianoman9701. I was starting to get frustrated with my injury and honestly wanted to give up training. He took me scouting to a new spot he was excited to take a look at and sure enough we found some elk! Talk about motivation! It was just the boost I needed to get me back on track. Realizing that success might actually be possible for my first year elk hunting and to make sure I take care of myself the best I can this season, I have upgrade 2 key items my boots(Crispi-Valdres) and my pack (Kifaru-Reckoning). I just wanted to make sure I was ready and that my back is healthy for when Pianoman or myself drop that big bull this Sept!  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]