collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How many points do you have for your once in a lifetime hunt? Point creep....  (Read 14842 times)

Offline Bangflop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
The game department in this state is stingy as hell with tags. Units with 1 or 2 elk tags are a joke. It's like dangling a carrot. In really those hunts should have 10 or 15 tags. But some bunny hugging biologists calls the shots and has some really unrealistic ideas.
The best advice I have heard so far to insure a quality tag is to live as long as possible. LOL. Hope I can walk when I'm 95.

Offline Bangflop

• Tracker
I think it's only about $50 for a non resident to apply for moose, sheep, or mountain goats here. Compare that to Idaho. Would cost me about $2,200 to apply for moose.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01903/wdfw01903.pdf 

Read this it will help you make accurate statements.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
I think it's only about $50 for a non resident to apply for moose, sheep, or mountain goats here. Compare that to Idaho. Would cost me about $2,200 to apply for moose.

That's okay, I already looked it up in the 2017 pamphlet. Yeah, I was thinking of when it used to be only about $50. It's double that now and someone corrected my statement soon after I posted it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 11:34:55 PM by bobcat »

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
 For the OP, and everybody else unhappy with the system, what is YOUR solution?

It's easy to sit back and bitch, not saying that the OP is, how about laying out your better system, here http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,214387.msg2854553.html#msg2854553 is your chance.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline TD3939

• Pilgrim

I guess for a start I would allocate a certain percentage of the tags to the applicants with the max number of points.  Only seems fair.  I realize this is a problem where there's only one tag for a certain hunt.  Have to figure out a work around for that one.  Ideally more tags would be be best for every scenario.  One solution for generating more premium tags for the future would be to END native American poaching.  Use every resource  possible to make this happen.  As we all know when a herd or particular resource starts to expand and become healthy and thriving they're the one group that continually exploits it just because it's legal in this wonderful state.  For example Entiat deer, Clockum Elk, and Desert deer. 

I would also consider permit only hunting for deer and elk.  I know that sounds drastic, but personally I'd rather have a premium hunt every  3 years than every year the way it is now.

My solution for what ever it's worth

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt

It's easy to sit back and bitch, not saying that the OP is, how about laying out your better system, here http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,214387.msg2854553.html#msg2854553 is your chance.
My solution? Get rid of it all together ! Or you pick like ID 1 oil tag and no bucks and bull or you can apply for bucks and Bulls and no oil. When you draw deer or elk you sit out a year too!

Offline Bangflop

• Tracker

It's easy more tags.   

Offline Bangflop

• Tracker

That's okay, I already looked it up in the 2017 pamphlet. Yeah, I was thinking of when it used to be only about $50. It's double that now and someone corrected my statement soon after I posted it.

A correction with out education is just being an azz. I posted the link to be helpful.
Long story short WA has a tone of opportunity for hunting and gives very limited number of tags. I Would be in favor of a draw only and do away with the general hunt all together.  Late archery season and muzzle loader is very stressful on pregnant mommas.  The list goes on and on.   

Offline jagermiester

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • My family is my life
I'm so confused.
It's luck no matter what. You can draw a quality deer tag with no points it's possible, not plausible but possible. The more time I spend on this site the more I think most people on it are wolves in sheep's clothing. It's not fair I didn't get my trophy, sounds like something a lefty would say.  :'( You wanna shoot a big bull go to Montana but you better put your big boy pants on cause it's still work.
Lead em if they're running.

Offline jagermiester

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • My family is my life
Late archery and muzzle loader is very stressful on pregnant mamma's. That sound's like something Bernie Sanders would say.
Lead em if they're running.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1