collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Camera & tripod backpack - anybody got any recommendations?  (Read 1596 times)

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
I have a backpack that I use to carry my Nikon Fe2 & F3 plus a half dozen lenses in and my tripod straps to the outside.  I want something much less cumbersome, like maybe a "sling" style pack that will fit our Nikon P900 and a couple sandwiches that I can strap a medium size carbon tripod like a Manfrotto X55ProB to and maybe also strap a pair of trekking poles to as well. 

Anyone have any experience with something that fits that description?  It doesn't necessarily have to be a sling style pack.   

Offline fly-by

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
Re: Camera & tripod backpack - anybody got any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 11:15:47 AM »
The Vortex GlassPak may fit the bill.  You can get one on ebay with a Vortex Dakota Tripod for $70. The tripod alone is worth more than that. I recently picked one up and am pleased so far. 

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 08:31:28 AM »
The Vortex GlassPak may fit the bill.  You can get one on ebay with a Vortex Dakota Tripod for $70. The tripod alone is worth more than that. I recently picked one up and am pleased so far.

I think that is going to work.  I went ahead and ordered it this morning.  I am going to use it on our carbon fiber tripod.

We have been kicking around building varmint shooting benches that are much more portable than the four we have now and we want infinitely adjustable legs on them.  I think this set of tripod legs will provide me with impetus to get started on that project.  Our current benches are fantastic, but they are a PITA to haul further than 40 yards or so from the truck.  We have been wanting a couple packable benches for about ten years now and I am going to lam up the tops from 1 1/2" rigid foam insulation and 1/8" Baltic Birch plywood.  I want the leg sockets recessed, so that may be a bit tricky fabricating the sockets for the legs.

The last thing we need is another set of tripod legs, but the price on this set makes me want to get going on the prototype lightweight benches I have been procrastinating on.   

Offline fly-by

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 05:11:02 AM »
Turns out the connection from padded straps to the bag is a little flimsy.  I doubled it up and resewed it through the padding.  Also simplified the maze of buckles down to two loops that grab the tripod legs down low. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]