collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Goose Calls  (Read 5570 times)

Offline DuckandDeerHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Goose Calls
« on: June 21, 2017, 09:59:41 PM »
Hi everyone! First post here on this forum. I'm 14 years old and REALLY got into waterfowl hunting this past fall and plan on hunting it hard this year. I've practiced some on my goose calling and still have a long way to go but have a good start. I'm looking for a call that isn't incredibly difficult to gain skill on but also something that'll last me a long time and I can get some really good sounds out of. I've done some research and from what I've found the Zink polycarbonate nightmare on stage sounds like a great call for the price. I watched a video on the Haydel's carbon honker and it seems like it has a good sound also but I can't find any reviews on it. Looking to get something of decent quality and about $50 or less. What are your guy's opinions on those calls or maybe something else I haven't found yet! Thanks everyone!

Offline YoungFowler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl
Re: Goose Calls
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 07:26:08 AM »
Welcome! I'm 15 and going into my third year of waterfowl hunting. Last year I bought my first goose call, the zink power Clucker which I would strongly suggest. It's easy to use and doesn't sound bad imo. I think it's like 20 bucks or something as cabelas. Good luck!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Fear God, love your neighbor and shoot ducks-Phil Robertson

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 07:42:18 AM »
I have a Zink COD in acrylic and love it but hated the Money Maker. You should try looking at some local Companies like Bill Saunders and Pacific Calls. Both make polycarbs or delrin calls around 65 bucks. I have heard the new 509 by pacific calls is supposed to be pretty awesome sounding but I haven't tried it out yet. If you can make it down to OWF you will be able to test a ton of calls and I bet they will have some good deals too.

This may go against a lot of popular believes but save up more money and try to buy a nice acrylic call that will last you years if not a lifetime. When I was learning I was using a Buck Gardner call and watching Bad Grammar. The first thing he says is go buy a nice call and I think he was 100% right. I could do more with my Pacific Call than I ever could with the Buck Gardner call. Just my opinion. Good luck in your search!

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 07:50:55 AM »
If you can't find any to try out I can help you out.  I have several boxes full of calls you can try out from Zinks, JJ Lares, Foiles, Pacific Calls. 
I keep trying to get my 13 year old into calling, but he hasn't been interested up to this point.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Duckgtr

• Scout
  • Active Duty USMC
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 07:52:00 AM »
I have an extra honker call ill give you. its a zink. I think power clucker.

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 09:34:36 AM »
Hi everyone! First post here on this forum. I'm 14 years old and REALLY got into waterfowl hunting this past fall and plan on hunting it hard this year. I've practiced some on my goose calling and still have a long way to go but have a good start. I'm looking for a call that isn't incredibly difficult to gain skill on but also something that'll last me a long time and I can get some really good sounds out of. I've done some research and from what I've found the Zink polycarbonate nightmare on stage sounds like a great call for the price. I watched a video on the Haydel's carbon honker and it seems like it has a good sound also but I can't find any reviews on it. Looking to get something of decent quality and about $50 or less. What are your guy's opinions on those calls or maybe something else I haven't found yet! Thanks everyone!

At your age don't spend a dime on hunting, put it on your wish list on gifts.  In the mean time get a savings account going if you have not already and study the basics of the stock markets, mutual funds, and ETF's while you cluck away.  Once you get some money saved up an ETF would be a good choice to own from 1 or a few and learn to ride the up and down of the markets without much invested.  You have a lot more access to computers than I did at your age and wish I would of put the time in to learn because would of been a lot better hunter today which now retired from.  Passed on turkey for the first time in 10 years to invest in some funds that have a good history. Plus, wife was down sized at her job after almost 20 years.

Might be info you don't know but study because technology is taking over and a young man like yourself will have to invest for income someday as in dividends and growth. If you spend your own money on hunting today your flushing potential future income away.   
Don't read my post if facts hurt your feeling.

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 09:50:35 AM »

At your age don't spend a dime on hunting, put it on your wish list on gifts.  In the mean time get a savings account going if you have not already and study the basics of the stock markets, mutual funds, and ETF's while you cluck away.  Once you get some money saved up an ETF would be a good choice to own from 1 or a few and learn to ride the up and down of the markets without much invested.  You have a lot more access to computers than I did at your age and wish I would of put the time in to learn because would of been a lot better hunter today which now retired from.  Passed on turkey for the first time in 10 years to invest in some funds that have a good history. Plus, wife was down sized at her job after almost 20 years.

Might be info you don't know but study because technology is taking over and a young man like yourself will have to invest for income someday as in dividends and growth. If you spend your own money on hunting today your flushing potential future income away.   

I think you're posting in the wrong forum. This forum is about hunting and wasting money on fun stuff.

I would take up the offer from H2OFowlr. He will even probably teach you a lot about calling.

Offline Buckewe

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 10:15:06 AM »
All the calls mentioned are nice also look at winglock calls reasonable price for an acrylic and great calls. It is always best to try a call before you buy it.
Blacktail lives matter

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 11:12:14 AM »

I think you're posting in the wrong forum. This forum is about hunting and wasting money on fun stuff.

I would take up the offer from H2OFowlr. He will even probably teach you a lot about calling.

Successful hunters for the future are going to have to be more successful at life at an earlier age. It is only fun when not wasting.         

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 11:55:14 AM »

I'm sure spending money on a goose call doesn't doom a 14 year old to a life of poverty.  I would buy the call and enjoy goose hunting.  Don't miss the forest for the trees.

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 01:08:05 PM »

Successful hunters for the future are going to have to be more successful at life at an earlier age. It is only fun when not wasting.       

I had a lot of stuff I was going to write but found this that described my feelings perfectly.  :rolleyes:

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 01:12:28 PM »

I'm sure spending money on a goose call doesn't doom a 14 year old to a life of poverty.  I would buy the call and enjoy goose hunting.  Don't miss the forest for the trees.

Slogans and buzz words are just a dead end street and sure would not want my house to be built from any tree from the forest.  Poverty no, but just go hunt with family but don't get to wrapped up in buying because next is decoys, more calls, fancy shotguns, ammo, and so on.  If that's what he wants then get ready to set some financial goals later in life because I'm sure the goal is not to have maxed out credit cards.  At 14 years old just take it easy and keep practicing on what he is using or one gifted out and enjoy going with family on their dime and later in life he can return the favor on his dime.       

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 02:33:01 PM »
My point was you need a balance between being so focused on saving money that you miss out on things you love like goose hunting.  I'd much rather have a goose call than the benefit of saving $40.  We aren't talking about an extra $10K of other stuff.  He asked about a goose call.  In any event, no need to derail his thread.

Whatever you do, good luck and enjoy your hunts.

Offline ballstothewaal

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • PLU soccer player and weekend duck/big game hunter
  • Groups: NRA, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever, RMEF
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 02:37:35 PM »
I got the 509 by pacific! makes a good sound. Took me a bit to get used to it but now I love it!

Offline DuckandDeerHunter

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 05:18:24 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies and advice! It was very helpful, gave me a great idea on where to look to start with, and greatly appreciated! H20fowlr and Duckgtr- I'll send you guys a PM.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]