collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wyoming Antelope unit 78  (Read 6838 times)

Offline furbearer365

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Wyoming Antelope unit 78
« on: June 22, 2017, 03:29:50 PM »
Been waiting for the right year to burn my points, and this year was the year. Me and a buddy drew unit 78 and will be headed over there this summer. It's the first time for both of us so we are pretty pumped.  Gonna be a long season tho, I drew Wyoming Antelope, Pearrygin Whitetail here in WA, and Montana Mulies.

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
Re: Wyoming Antelope unit 78
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 03:37:22 PM »
I'll be there to.  We are headed down at the end of the season so we can combine with a deer hunt.

This will be my first honest effort at an antelope hunt.  You ever hunted down there?  Not sure if I should be focusing around the irrigated areas or just head off into the desert and try to get away from people.   

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 03:41:22 PM »
Tons of BLM land, relatively small quota, I'm guessing you'll hardly see anyone toward the end of the season.  Meaning, no reason to dink around with the private/irrigated lands.  Just get out in the sage and find the one you want.  Should be a great time.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 03:43:37 PM »
Anyone interested in learning more about antelope might consider getting a copy of this book: https://www.eastmans.com/store/details/books/hunting-trophy-antelope

It helped me a lot when I first starting hunting pronghorns.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline longrange7mm

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 04:11:17 PM »
Should be a good year lots of good growth this year. I may run into you out there  ;) my mom drew it as well
Never to far, Just grab another minute!

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 04:11:31 PM »
Anyone interested in learning more about antelope might consider getting a copy of this book: https://www.eastmans.com/store/details/books/hunting-trophy-antelope

Thanks for the recommendation, Bob--I've actually got it on the shelf.  When I drove through Wyoming for the first time a handful of years ago I saw a bunch of antelope and didn't even know what they were.  Googled them when I got home and discovered that book (it may have even been via another recommendation on here), which convinced me I should be applying for tags.

By the way, the 26-06 I'm taking with me will probably look familiar to you.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 04:29:37 PM »

Thanks for the recommendation, Bob--I've actually got it on the shelf.  When I drove through Wyoming for the first time a handful of years ago I saw a bunch of antelope and didn't even know what they were.  Googled them when I got home and discovered that book (it may have even been via another recommendation on here), which convinced me I should be applying for tags.

By the way, the 26-06 I'm taking with me will probably look familiar to you.
It's got a lot of antelope memories. Add some more. :tup:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 04:33:18 PM »
Don't shoot the first one you see.

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 04:35:42 PM »

What if it's an 80 incher?
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline furbearer365

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 06:13:52 PM »
A buddy of mine that I went to Taxidermy school with is a taxidermist and guide that lives next to the unit. By the time the hunt is here, I'm sure he will have schooled me on both Amtelopes and the unit. Just can't wait to get there and get after it.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 11:08:58 AM »
Have a blast, and I concur with sticking to the vast public land. Don't be dismayed by relatively low antelope numbers, the northern Bighorn Basin has lower antelope densities than much of Wyoming but good quality.  A good strategy is to drive the extensive road systems to figure out where the little valleys are that you aren't seeing into from the road - pronghorn can and do hide from vehicles in very subtle folds in the topography, and bucks also hide their harems from view of other bucks that way too.  Walk to those areas and check them out, you'll see more bucks that way than just driving.  A word of caution - a lot of that country is bentonite clay, and off the graveled roads the 2-tracks are hell when wet.  If it rains hard, don't get off the gravel, 4 wheel drive and even chains aren't that great when that stuff is wet.  It'll dry out fast once the rain stops.  I'd go in September, the rut will be in full swing, tapering off sometime after the first week of October.  It would not be a bad idea to go a couple days before the opener, that way you won't shoot the first buck that looks good :)

Another tip you may not need.  Antelope know vehicles mean trouble, and get extremely nervous when doors open.  If you see a buck that looks really good from the truck, keep driving until out of sight, then leave the vehicle and make a stalk back using topography to hide and get in range.  Doesn't matter how far away you are, if they can see you they are nervous. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 11:17:55 AM »
Pronghorns are the fastest North American animal and the second fastest in the world. I've seen them run two or three miles in a matter of minutes for no apparent reason, and then run right back again.

If you find a good spot and don't see any antelope, sometimes it pays to just wait a bit and glass, or to revisit the spot a few times later in the day.

Offline fishsticks

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 05:44:49 PM »
Another tip you may not need.  Antelope know vehicles mean trouble, and get extremely nervous when doors open.  If you see a buck that looks really good from the truck, keep driving until out of sight, then leave the vehicle and make a stalk back using topography to hide and get in range.  Doesn't matter how far away you are, if they can see you they are nervous.

Some sound advice here.  We learned this the hard way our first year in WY.  Once we started employing this strategy success came quick.

Good luck, and have fun.  Antelope hunting is a blast!

Offline longrange7mm

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 06:50:56 PM »
Have a blast, and I concur with sticking to the vast public land. Don't be dismayed by relatively low antelope numbers, the northern Bighorn Basin has lower antelope densities than much of Wyoming but good quality.  A good strategy is to drive the extensive road systems to figure out where the little valleys are that you aren't seeing into from the road - pronghorn can and do hide from vehicles in very subtle folds in the topography, and bucks also hide their harems from view of other bucks that way too.  Walk to those areas and check them out, you'll see more bucks that way than just driving.  A word of caution - a lot of that country is bentonite clay, and off the graveled roads the 2-tracks are hell when wet.  If it rains hard, don't get off the gravel, 4 wheel drive and even chains aren't that great when that stuff is wet.  It'll dry out fast once the rain stops.  I'd go in September, the rut will be in full swing, tapering off sometime after the first week of October.  It would not be a bad idea to go a couple days before the opener, that way you won't shoot the first buck that looks good :)

Double lung nailed it. I will shoot you a PM and I will hook you up with a few spots I live in 78 and spend lots of time in it. My mom drew it this year but shes looking for "the big one" her words not mine. shes got an 84 5/8 and 86 2/8 both out of that unit. Growth is great this year 80" goat should be achievable with a little bit of patience and self control
Never to far, Just grab another minute!

Offline GUscottie

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 09:06:15 AM »
Good luck! Can't wait to hear the stories!! This is one of my favorite areas in all of Wyoming. Derik....you better get your mom "the big one"...hahah!
Wishing I was fishing...or in Wyoming

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:00:45 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan