collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wyoming Antelope Unit 63-2  (Read 10708 times)

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Wyoming Antelope Unit 63-2
« on: June 25, 2017, 04:27:59 PM »
 I was lucky enough to win my first ever draw tag, but I have no clue about the area. If any of you have any input at all, I'd really appreciate it.
 Thanks
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: Wyoming Antelope Unit 63-2
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 04:43:42 PM »
The -2 indicates the license is good only in the eastern portion of 63.

Pathfinder Reservoir is a key landmark. There's quite a bit of BLM land in that area. Get a landowner chip for your GPS so you know what's private; you shouldn't have much difficulty find antelope on public land.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 01:54:50 PM »
The -2 indicates the license is good only in the eastern portion of 63.

Pathfinder Reservoir is a key landmark. There's quite a bit of BLM land in that area. Get a landowner chip for your GPS so you know what's private; you shouldn't have much difficulty find antelope on public land.
Copy that. I got the GPS chip for my RINO. But that doesn't tell me where a good starting point might be. It looks to be a pretty big area, I've been looking at spots on Google Earth for months. But still have no clue. I'm thinking the only way to know is getting over there and scouting.
Thanks again for all your help with this process!
Joe
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 02:17:47 PM »
You will see antelope as soon as you turn off Highway 220 onto the Buzzard Road, and all the way to the south border of 63.  The Pathfinder Ranch owns most of the deeded in that area, and can be fairly aggressive on trespass - staying off deeded is entirely the hunter's responsibility, they don't need to mark or post in any way and generally don't.  That said, you won't have trouble finding antelope on public.  Stay east of the Buzzard Road, stay off the private 100%, and you'll have a good time.  There are some very high quality bucks to be found in that area. 

Don't overlook the northeast part of the area, south of Highway 220 and east of the Sweetwater Arm of Pathfinder Reservoir.  The main access into that area is the Pathfinder Road, east of the Buzzard rd also south from 220.  Not the highest density but produces some dandies.  There is no part of 63 that doesn't have antelope, and plenty of opportunities. 

If you feel better with a specific starting point, take Bishop Rd west from Pathfinder Rd, to the road running north along the shoreline away from the campground.  Hunt north of the reservoir on the BLM.  It's a good area, maybe a bit better than some, but then most of the accessible land in 63 is good. 

Pathfinder is a great reservoir to fish from shore, chuck spoons or spinners anywhere the shore drops off steeply for dandy rainbows and cutts, mostly in the 3-5 lbs range unless things have changed drastically; when I lived there the fishermen frequently complained about the lack of trout under 20" (Wyoming daily limit is 6, but used to be only 1 over 20"; they changed that).  You are also near world class stream fishing on the N Platte river if you prefer to fly fish, but be prepared for a lot more company, and stinkeye from C&R purists if you keep anything.   

Duck shooting can be phenomenal along Pathfinder, especially where salt cedars grow down to the edge, if you are there during waterfowl.  I used to like to take a 5 gallon bucket and 2-3 dekes, wade along in 1-2' depth until I found a nice break in the edge of the cedars, sit on the bucket in my chest waders and shoot ducks coming to check out my dekes. 

Both sides of Pathfinder is very good sage grouse country, if you will be there the latter half of September you might want to take advantage of an opportunity that may not exist in a few years.     
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 02:37:04 PM by DOUBLELUNG »
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 02:59:28 PM »
You will see antelope as soon as you turn off Highway 220 onto the Buzzard Road, and all the way to the south border of 63.  The Pathfinder Ranch owns most of the deeded in that area, and can be fairly aggressive on trespass - staying off deeded is entirely the hunter's responsibility, they don't need to mark or post in any way and generally don't.  That said, you won't have trouble finding antelope on public.  Stay east of the Buzzard Road, stay off the private 100%, and you'll have a good time.  There are some very high quality bucks to be found in that area. 

Don't overlook the northeast part of the area, south of Highway 220 and east of the Sweetwater Arm of Pathfinder Reservoir.  The main access into that area is the Pathfinder Road, east of the Buzzard rd also south from 220.  Not the highest density but produces some dandies.  There is no part of 63 that doesn't have antelope, and plenty of opportunities. 

If you feel better with a specific starting point, take Bishop Rd west from Pathfinder Rd, to the road running north along the shoreline away from the campground.  Hunt north of the reservoir on the BLM.  It's a good area, maybe a bit better than some, but then most of the accessible land in 63 is good. 

Pathfinder is a great reservoir to fish from shore, chuck spoons or spinners anywhere the shore drops off steeply for dandy rainbows and cutts, mostly in the 3-5 lbs range unless things have changed drastically; when I lived there the fishermen frequently complained about the lack of trout under 20" (Wyoming daily limit is 6, but used to be only 1 over 20"; they changed that).  You are also near world class stream fishing on the N Platte river if you prefer to fly fish, but be prepared for a lot more company, and stinkeye from C&R purists if you keep anything.   

Duck shooting can be phenomenal along Pathfinder, especially where salt cedars grow down to the edge, if you are there during waterfowl.  I used to like to take a 5 gallon bucket and 2-3 dekes, wade along in 1-2' depth until I found a nice break in the edge of the cedars, sit on the bucket in my chest waders and shoot ducks coming to check out my dekes. 

Both sides of Pathfinder is very good sage grouse country, if you will be there the latter half of September you might want to take advantage of an opportunity that may not exist in a few years.   
Wow....... Thanks! That's some great info. Thanks again :tup:
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 03:21:17 PM »

The first antelope I killed in Wyoming, in 2005, came from that exact location.

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 04:18:01 PM »
You guys have got me way to excited..... September can't come soon enough.
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 05:11:21 PM »
Nice Bob!
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 06:10:16 PM »
Nice Bob!
It was a great hunt and my introduction to Wyoming antelope hunting. I've been back just about every year since.

That antelope was shot on one side of Bishop Road and died on the other.

I visited the Pathfinder Ranch and met the owners (caretakers?) before the hunt. They were very helpful and had some monster antelope bucks in their front yard but suggested I not shoot them. :chuckle:

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 06:23:56 PM »

wow great info nice to see someone actually providing great specific advice! :tup:

Offline Grizman

• Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 07:19:00 AM »
Hey Doublelung,  thanks for the great info.  My nephew and I drew 63 as partners.  Can you recommend a good place to park our camp trailer while hunting 63?  Much appreciate any suggestions you could offer.  Thank you.  Really looking forward to spending some time down there.

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 07:55:52 AM »
Grizman - you can camp for 14 days on any BLM land for free. If you need amenities, there are tons of campgrounds around the Lakes.

Another tidbit for public land. When looking at maps, if the area is light blue it is school land and accessible. Just be careful if there are livestock on it, ranchers may have cattle there but they can't stop public access. Of course if there is a school on the land, you can't discharger firearms near the buildings  :bdid:

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 10:32:37 AM »
Randy Newberg has the "Hunt Talk" forum. I've only been on it a few days, but for a lot of western states there is some good inforation on it.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 11:59:23 AM »
Hey Doublelung,  thanks for the great info.  My nephew and I drew 63 as partners.  Can you recommend a good place to park our camp trailer while hunting 63?  Much appreciate any suggestions you could offer.  Thank you.  Really looking forward to spending some time down there.
There are campgrounds around Pathfinder reservoir that are right in your area, but I'd recommend camping at Alcova reservoir just a few miles east - much more sheltered.  The winds across Pathfinder can be incredible, and come out of nowhere.  Definitely Alcova if you have a popup, Pathfinder winds are notorious for shredding popups and tents.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 12:01:16 PM »
Grizman - you can camp for 14 days on any BLM land for free. If you need amenities, there are tons of campgrounds around the Lakes.

Another tidbit for public land. When looking at maps, if the area is light blue it is school land and accessible. Just be careful if there are livestock on it, ranchers may have cattle there but they can't stop public access. Of course if there is a school on the land, you can't discharger firearms near the buildings  :bdid:
Just a couple of things to be aware of on Wyoming school trust lands - no camping or campfires unless permission has been granted by the lessee

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]