collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Deer closer to home  (Read 6971 times)

Offline Debark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Deer closer to home
« on: June 30, 2017, 07:19:45 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am contemplating hunting the wet side for deer this year. In the past I have hunted over on the east side in the Cle Elum/Ellensburg area. I may not be able to get time off of work this year for deer season and was looking to move closer. I am just looking for general areas to start scouting and get to know. I'm located in Auburn and would like to stay within an hour and a half if possible. I don't know what areas have good public access and decent hunting.  Any ideas?

Thank you,
Debark

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Deer closer to home
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 08:17:08 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am contemplating hunting the wet side for deer this year. In the past I have hunted over on the east side in the Cle Elum/Ellensburg area. I may not be able to get time off of work this year for deer season and was looking to move closer. I am just looking for general areas to start scouting and get to know. I'm located in Auburn and would like to stay within an hour and a half if possible. I don't know what areas have good public access and decent hunting.  Any ideas?

Thank you,
Debark
cle elum is an hour and a half? :dunno:
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline Debark

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 08:31:42 PM »
Hello everyone,

Thank you,
Debark
cle elum is an hour and a half? :dunno:
I was thinking closer than that though, I would like to be able to make day trips if possible. To where I usually hunt it was around 2 hours, but I'm trying to say an hour and a half max, preferably I'd like to find somewhere within an hour

Offline Debark

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 08:33:36 PM »
I also haven't had much luck for deer over in GMUs 336, 340, or 346, despite putting in time every year. Just looking to change it up.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 09:44:17 PM »
I don't think there's much within an hour, except you might look into a Hancock permit. I'm not sure if there's any left or not. The area they have up by North Bend would be fairly close to you. If you can do an hour and a half look into Weyerhaeuser's permits, either Aberdeen North or Aberdeen South. The South area only has 6 motorized permits left, the North area has a couple hundred. There's also Green Diamond, they have an access permit west of Shelton, so that's a bit closer. I just don't know if there's any left. That's about all I can recommend, as it's now to the point where you pretty much have to pay if you want to hunt blacktails.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 10:00:07 PM »
I also haven't had much luck for deer over in GMUs 336, 340, or 346, despite putting in time every year. Just looking to change it up.

There is a lot of land behind gates between Elbe and Morton that hold deer. Stick to the areas where the gates are closed, and hoof it.

Skate Creek Road, find closed gates and work your way in.

A little more than 1 1/2 hours, the Skokomish Valley up above where Camp Govey was or a little further to Browns Creek, find a ridge line and work your way up.

Most hunters in these areas do not move more then 1/4 mile from a road.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline chester

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 11:32:56 PM »
Because they are afraid a tweaker will bust into an unoccupied vehicle.
There is a lot of land behind gates between Elbe and Morton that hold deer. Stick to the areas where the gates are closed, and hoof it.

A little more than 1 1/2 hours, the Skokomish Valley up above where Camp Govey was or a little further to Browns Creek, find a ridge line and work your way up.

Dilligaf

Offline Debark

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 08:58:12 AM »

Thank you for the tips, I have been looking in the Morton area, I used to go camping that way as a kid. It would be nice to go back and connect with some of those memories as well.  :tup:

Offline SteelheadTed

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 03:37:04 PM »
Lots of National Forest off of 410 once you get past Muckleshoot land.  There are lots of blacktails in western Washington, all over the place.  They are very elusive but they are there!  It took me time to realize how many deer I was jumping as I walked around (it still amazes me how quiet they are when they bound away).  I got to know the sound of a spooked deer and started realizing I was spooking them in the same places a lot.  Getting a shot on them is the tough part but there are lots around.  It's just a matter of getting to know a spot and when the deer move and when you can ambush them.
I know I've lost it, let me know if you come across it

Offline Debark

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 04:49:49 PM »
Lots of National Forest off of 410 once you get past Muckleshoot land.  There are lots of blacktails in western Washington, all over the place.  They are very elusive but they are there!  It took me time to realize how many deer I was jumping as I walked around (it still amazes me how quiet they are when they bound away).  I got to know the sound of a spooked deer and started realizing I was spooking them in the same places a lot.  Getting a shot on them is the tough part but there are lots around.  It's just a matter of getting to know a spot and when the deer move and when you can ambush them.
I headed up that was today to go walk around, but it was way too busy. Also, my strut assembly decided to come out and I had to do some roadside repairs for an hour or so to get it home, but made it back safe. Will likely go out later in the year to scout up that way, for now I'm going to try different areas.

Offline 2labs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 06:02:51 PM »
Get up an hour earlier! :twocents:
Dino was robbed
Habitual Rock Poacher
Do these "attack" pants make my ass look big?

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 10:05:29 AM »
I headed up that was today to go walk around, but it was way too busy. Also, my strut assembly decided to come out and I had to do some roadside repairs for an hour or so to get it home, but made it back safe. Will likely go out later in the year to scout up that way, for now I'm going to try different areas.

Most of the people in that area are within 1/4 mile of a road or on an established trail. Find a finger to head up or go off trail a bit. You probably will not see anyone near you.
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
Psalm 144.1

Offline NW SURVEYOR

• Scout
  • Groups: RMEF NRA
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 10:51:11 AM »
Like Alchase said, get off the road and work some ridges.
I live in the Claw and have shot twenty deer within an hour drive from my door.
The hour drive is one thing, the hour hike in is another.
Find some point of access to a remote basin, ridge or combo and you will see deer.
I mostly still hunt mature timber and shoot most deer at 75 yards or less.
Work slowly and keep your eyes peeled, bring a lunch and stay at it all day. Do not return to the truck till dark.
Good luck.
Rob.

Offline Debark

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 02:12:37 PM »
Like Alchase said, get off the road and work some ridges.
I live in the Claw and have shot twenty deer within an hour drive from my door.
The hour drive is one thing, the hour hike in is another.
Find some point of access to a remote basin, ridge or combo and you will see deer.
I mostly still hunt mature timber and shoot most deer at 75 yards or less.
Work slowly and keep your eyes peeled, bring a lunch and stay at it all day. Do not return to the truck till dark.
Good luck.
Rob.
Sounds good, this is more so what i want to be doing. Should i stick to higher or lower elevations during hunting season? or is that dependent on the weather? Thank you guys by the way!

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 03:36:29 PM »
I use to look for the little areas that get some sun, surrounded by forest.
Sit back a bit and glass every leaf that twitches. You will be surprised at how many times it will be a deer's ear.
Their ears twitch a lot, even when bedded.

My rock,
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan