collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Poll: What is your ideal shot placement on broadside deer at 100 yards assuming w/300 win mag?

Heart/lungs
Double shoulder hit
Spine
Neck
Head

Author Topic: Shot Placement Poll  (Read 12646 times)

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Shot Placement Poll
« on: July 06, 2017, 09:23:54 PM »
Hi all, being the middle of summer and killing time during the week I thought I'd put up a poll to collect numbers on a topic I've always wondered about.  Mule Deer, assume large 200lbs buck.  Broadside at 100 yards.  Assume you have the scope to zoom in close, say a Swarovski Z5 5-25x52 (as I have one and know you can zoom quite well at that range).  Assume a high BC bullet from a 300 win mag (168g, 190g, etc.) so plenty flat trajectory and energy.  And assume accurate rifle, 1 MOA or less at 100yds.  And no perceptible wind. 

Which placement have you done the most, or would you do as ideal real world shot? 

I was always taught just a heart/lung placement and have only ever taken that shot.  But am curious what actual shots have been. I've read a bit lately about double shoulder shots being used more often, and curious how many do.  And curious how many have done spine, neck, or head shots.  All are ethical shots with a good practiced shooter, so no judgements or arguing one is better than the other.  Just data gathering.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Shot Placement Poll
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 09:31:51 PM »
Long range shoulder hits are the answer - less risk of pencil hits especially with Berger.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 09:37:43 PM »
Thanks.  That's some of the information I'm interested in.  Do you normally go high shoulder closer to spine, or lower closer to heart/lung area on those longer shots?

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 09:52:07 PM »
Broadside at 100 yards is not a long shot.  Shoot for the lung/heart, right in the "V".  Shoulder shot will certainly put it down but why waste the meat??
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 09:57:55 PM »
Thanks for the response.  Yeah I know 100 isn't long.  I chose to limit to 100 yards with the poll (thought about listing 300 or 400 instead) but was curious about the typical shot used.  Would have liked a matrix poll option so I could vary both distance and placement, but couldn't figure that out.   

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 09:58:43 PM »
Broadside at 100 yards is not a long shot.  Shoot for the lung/heart, right in the "V".  Shoulder shot will certainly put it down but why waste the meat??

My thoughts, exactly.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 10:41:39 PM »
I always aim for the shoulders. Not sure why, I don't consciously think about it, I just always end up there.

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 11:33:32 PM »
:yeah:
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 11:58:22 PM »

My thoughts, exactly.

+1, if you can get within 100 yards, I'd question the need for a 300wm as well. :dunno:

I get it if that's what you have but if you have other options and can get within that distance, you might consider it, but I'd still go heart/lungs. ;)
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 12:47:10 AM »
Lungs are the sweet spot .But in the end I guess it depends on the ability of the shooter.It may depend on terrain also,if your in the nasty brush ,6ft talk ferns, and you think your gonna have a hard time finding it ,neck,head,spine might be better .kinda depends on the situation.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 06:12:31 AM »
... It may depend on terrain also,if your in the nasty brush ,6ft talk ferns, and you think your gonna have a hard time finding it ,neck,head,spine might be better .kinda depends on the situation.
:yeah:

With a hearth/lung shot you can expect the deer to run somewhere between zero and 100 yards.  Would that be a problem?

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 06:26:00 AM »
I cannot imagine taking a shoulder out and wasting that meat.  There is already so little meat on a deer to start with.  Same with neck why waste neck meat.  And spine oh my!  Wasting backstrap! 

For those in the know it is lungs/heart at all the distances, if you can't place the bullet where you want it you're to far for your capabilities.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 06:46:30 AM »
I voted for the double shoulder except I will explain it a little better, if an animal is quartering away it gets the the 4 ribs back and through the boiler room and into the far shoulder !! Any other time it's a high shoulder shot because it takes the spine with it, it's quick and painless and it anchors them to the ground, but it is not the right shot for someone who is not able to control their emotions !! There is a lot that can go wrong with it but it can also be the best shot if done correctly !!
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 06:57:44 AM »
Thanks.  That's some of the information I'm interested in.  Do you normally go high shoulder closer to spine, or lower closer to heart/lung area on those longer shots?

Long shots I want center of mass on the shoulder which is high as that allows a 15" dia kill zone for wind and such and I would rather miss high than have a lower leg hit. ( long meaning 400+.  )   

If its just a meat hunt yea behind the shoulder up to 400 yards. 

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 08:40:12 AM »
I always try to double lung, right behind the shoulder, but I can't remember the last time I had a deer stand perfectly broadside for me. Last year I got 2 "quartering to" shots. One I slipped in behind the shoulder, the other I shot through the brisket. A 45 degree quartering to shot is probably my favorite shot with a rifle. Put it on the near side of the brisket and out the far side behind the shoulder.You get the heart/lung plus the explosive shock. Never had a deer go more than a few feet from that shot.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal