collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Poll: What is your ideal shot placement on broadside deer at 100 yards assuming w/300 win mag?

Heart/lungs
Double shoulder hit
Spine
Neck
Head

Author Topic: Shot Placement Poll  (Read 12633 times)

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
Re: Shot Placement Poll
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2017, 10:53:18 PM »
.300 Winchester Mag on deer? Talk about overkill. Just kidding, just kidding, to each his own. I vote lungs or upper heart area every time. I agree with comments on losing meat shooting anywhere else.

I've seen people stuff a 300 win mag into a hog at 50 yards. Not like they cared about the hog meat, it was just population control.  But still...
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2017, 10:59:55 PM »
Long range shoulder hits are the answer - less risk of pencil hits especially with Berger.

When shooting at long range a bullet that does not expand and pencils through is most definitely a consideration 

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,209049.msg2782202.html#msg2782202

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2017, 11:19:36 PM »
.300 Winchester Mag on deer? Talk about overkill. Just kidding, just kidding, to each his own. I vote lungs or upper heart area every time. I agree with comments on losing meat shooting anywhere else.

I shoot a 300 Wby, or 348 if I am hunting really close brush where I have little chance of taking a longer shot than 200 yards.  Practically the same trajectory, out to their respective range, as my 17 Rem, 22-250 & 243 that I shoot a LOT of varmints with.  200 grain Nosler Partitions are my bullet for everything and I like to shoot for a double lung or better yet through the chest into the off shoulder.

However most of my blacktail hunting is done with a Deerslayer II and Lightfield Hybrid Elite slugs.  Same shot placement.   

Offline pcal

• Hunter
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2017, 12:21:24 AM »
Well thanks for all the votes the past few days folks.  I was curious what the stats would look like.

I've had many shots on deer at close range in my life.  My 7mmRM is what I carry these days, and it's been overkill on the short shots but I like the longer range abilities it brings..  I've had some shots the past few years where I've debated on a head or neck or spine above front shoulder shot at <50 yards to save the explosive lungs/organs shots I normally do.  But never have convinced myself to stray from the heart/lung shot mantra that my dad beat into my brain 4 decades ago.  I'm good at gutless deboning now at least.  And switched off the fragmenting bullets (ie Berger VLD) to Accubonds....but even those 168g at 3000fps muzzle velocity can create a mess into the vitals at 50 yards.   

One of these years I may consider an alternate shot location on a close range shot.  But thanks for the votes.  Gives me a better picture of what folks use.
Have you considered loading some 175 gr. bullets to 2000 fps?Speer #14 has a reduced load of SR4759 that has the power of a 3030 170 gr. almost exactly for speed and power.I took a blacktail buck at almost 400 yrds with a 3030 170gr factory load in the Olympics behind Quilcene back in the '80s so if you are looking for a close range load with 1200 ftp at 100 yrds this would be a load to work on for close range shots.I have carried reduced loads for my 3006,.308,.300 savage for stands with less than 300 yrd to great effect with less bloodshot meat and waste.A couple of those bucks were over 300#s but only took 1 shot to drop & flopp.For longer ranges carry full power cartridges but keep the close range ones in the chamber as you will have plenty of time to switch out if you spot long range game but if you have a close shot you can only have time to shoot the buck with whats in the chamber without spooking it and spoiling the shot.

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2017, 07:01:26 AM »
I've seen head and neck shots go very wrong.  I saw a guy hit the jaw once. The deer got up and ran off never to be found.  I've also watched a neck shot deer run off. It was shot with a 300 win. We got it but it require a follow up lung shot.  Deer, or any other animal, don't go far when shot in the lungs.   :twocents:

Offline NW SURVEYOR

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF NRA
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2017, 07:07:09 AM »
My two cents.
I shoot a .338 with 225 grain Speers and a 7MM RM with 160 grain Speers.
I use both for deer and elk although lately it's primarily the .338 for both.
Hunting mostly timber, I take the shot I'm given, but try for the sure thing, heart/lung.
I generally don't wait for the situation to improve unless I'm confident that it will.
Neither bullet tears up much meat with the H/L.
Shoulder shots are a different story, they can be a bit messy.

With elk, I try to shoot a bit forward if possible.
They're to damn tough to chance anything.
Deer go down pretty easy with the H/L.

Thanks for asking.

Offline chasray

• Pilgrim
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2017, 01:30:47 PM »
First of all. Hi, I don't live in  Washington yet , however that is my retirement plan. Also my first post here. I though I would join and start learning!
I don't hunt Mule deer either! Whitetal is all we have in Northeastern Oklahoma. I use a .243 win, 6.5 Creedmoor, .35 remington and sometimes .38-55 win. or handgun I .357 mag or 7/30 waters.
At 100 yards with a rifle I would take a heart shot. With .357 heart lugs with a proper bullet.
Glad to find you all and hope to be hunting there by next year!

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 02:18:20 PM »
First of all. Hi, I don't live in  Washington yet , however that is my retirement plan. Also my first post here. I though I would join and start learning!
I don't hunt Mule deer either! Whitetal is all we have in Northeastern Oklahoma. I use a .243 win, 6.5 Creedmoor, .35 remington and sometimes .38-55 win. or handgun I .357 mag or 7/30 waters.
At 100 yards with a rifle I would take a heart shot. With .357 heart lugs with a proper bullet.
Glad to find you all and hope to be hunting there by next year!
Welcome to the forum!  I moved up here from Alabama two years ago.  You're gonna love it :)

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2017, 07:55:41 AM »
Well thanks for all the votes the past few days folks.  I was curious what the stats would look like.

I've had many shots on deer at close range in my life.  My 7mmRM is what I carry these days, and it's been overkill on the short shots but I like the longer range abilities it brings..  I've had some shots the past few years where I've debated on a head or neck or spine above front shoulder shot at <50 yards to save the explosive lungs/organs shots I normally do.  But never have convinced myself to stray from the heart/lung shot mantra that my dad beat into my brain 4 decades ago.  I'm good at gutless deboning now at least.  And switched off the fragmenting bullets (ie Berger VLD) to Accubonds....but even those 168g at 3000fps muzzle velocity can create a mess into the vitals at 50 yards.   

One of these years I may consider an alternate shot location on a close range shot.  But thanks for the votes.  Gives me a better picture of what folks use.

People shooting fragmenting bullets is all the rage these days and the reason that if I were giving advice to people taking game meat home that has been donated by hunters that don't eat game meat themselves, I would pass on it unless I were sure that it had not been shot with such a bullet.

I have seen photos of x-rays of carcasses that have been hit with those bullets and they have lead all through the meat.  There is a huge difference between animals hit with a fragmenting bullet and one that stays fairly intact.

This was "brought to my attention" by a friend who is an OK guy, other than that he takes it as his mission to engage in one-way enlightenment of the benighted.

He hectored me relentlessly for over a decade about shooting Berger bullets "that blow up" and practically had fits when I said: no thanks.  And now since he has become a fanatical anti-lead crusader he is fit to be tied that most of us don't share his concern that a few grains of lead are missing when we recover our Nosler Partitions. 

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2017, 08:49:51 AM »
If donating meat I would use barnes or other copper.  For myself I trim judiciously but don't use berger - mainly because just don't like their lack of expansion. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]