collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kahlotus Rut Rifle Hunt  (Read 5973 times)

Offline GUscottie

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
Kahlotus Rut Rifle Hunt
« on: July 09, 2017, 06:44:10 AM »
I have to say, I'm glad I finally put in for this hunt. I had 7 points this year for quality buck and I drew one of the 10 buck tags for this unit.

I used to hunt this all the time as a kid growing up in Connell. Already got in contact with a friend or two with some land. Can't wait to chase some bucks in November!

I know that the likelihood of killing a giant are small, but I'm excited to chase some deer during the rut. I have the goal of shooting either a real nice 4x4 (muledeer) or a 140"+ white tail. If I can't get one of those, I'm going for unique racks, my buddy had a big forky last year on his farm that was wider than his ears, so, he's going to be considered, if for no other reason than unique factor.

Anyone have any pics, stories or anything to share? Feel free to do so, thanks!
Wishing I was fishing...or in Wyoming

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Kahlotus Rut Rifle Hunt
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 08:09:33 AM »
How long ago did you live in Connell? I grew up there as well.

That should be a fun hunt and does have the potential for a solid buck, but you already know that.

There are a few landowners I would be specifically seeking access from.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like.

Good luck!!
Just tend your own and live.

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 08:43:26 PM »
Good luck to you! had the early muzzleload tag a couple years ago and ate it. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Offline GUscottie

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 10:32:10 AM »
Good luck to you! had the early muzzleload tag a couple years ago and ate it. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Thanks! I have a couple family friends letting me hunt their property. They've been seeing some good deer. There is supposed to be a giant 2pt on one of the farms...If he's as big as the rumors are, he's gonna get a second look. I also have some land down by the river that is gonna get looked at pretty hard. Can't wait to share the story, harvest or no.

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 04:22:55 PM »
Years ago, we would see the occasional nice buck on the drive between Prosser and Pullman, but I don't make that drive anymore. This buck was on the side of Hwy 395 four years ago just north of Connell:  I'm sure he's not still grazing there!.  Not a great picture, but a real nice buck.

Offline Hot Lunch

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 10:15:08 AM »
That buck was on property leased by Eagle Lakes Ranch. They do guides hunts, you might be able to pay them for access.

Offline GUscottie

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 09:31:28 AM »
Well, ladies and jellybeans...

I am finally packing up to leave tomorrow!!

For those of you that know, I have had a rough hunting season so far. I drew the Muzzy Peaches Ridge tag and hunted for 0 hours and 0 days. This was due to my baby being born on Sept 26th and then spending the next 12 days in Tacoma General's NICU. I snuck away for a day for modern deer and helped a buddy smoke a giant 3 on his farm near Mansfield. Then, I ran away to Wyoming for 3 days of hunting (36 hours of driving and hunting Fri-Sun morning). Out of 2 doe deer tags and one any elk tag, I chose to try to fill the freezer and hunt the doe tags that I've ALWAYS filled in the past...Negative ghost rider, 2017 has not been my year...

Anyways, my buddy texts me last night and said he has two whitetail deer on his property and one is for sure a shooter, he said that he only saw antlers in the waning light...With that being said, any mature buck within my range is getting shot this weekend.

:hunter: :cue:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 09:43:22 AM »

For those of you that know, I have had a rough hunting season so far. I drew the Muzzy Peaches Ridge tag and hunted for 0 hours and 0 days. This was due to my baby being born on Sept 26th and then spending the next 12 days in Tacoma General's NICU. I snuck away for a day for modern deer and helped a buddy smoke a giant 3 on his farm near Mansfield. Then, I ran away to Wyoming for 3 days of hunting (36 hours of driving and hunting Fri-Sun morning). Out of 2 doe deer tags and one any elk tag, I chose to try to fill the freezer and hunt the doe tags that I've ALWAYS filled in the past...Negative ghost rider, 2017 has not been my year...

Anyways, my buddy texts me last night and said he has two whitetail deer on his property and one is for sure a shooter, he said that he only saw antlers in the waning light...With that being said, any mature buck within my range is getting shot this weekend.

Go get em dude, and have someone hold your ammo for you till the right buck pops up!! You earned it this year.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 09:56:56 AM »
Good luck.  A 140" whitetail would be awesome.

Grandpa always said you have to have the lows to appreciate the highs.  Even though it has been a rough go here lately I am cheering for a big upswing for you this weekend.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline GUscottie

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 10:14:02 AM »

Go get em dude, and have someone hold your ammo for you till the right buck pops up!! You earned it this year.

Thanks! And, my expectations are low this year due to poor numbers, but I know there have been some big forkies and everyone down there loathes the Whitetail deer...regardless, I'm gonna have a good time!

Offline GUscottie

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 10:14:57 AM »
Good luck.  A 140" whitetail would be awesome.

Grandpa always said you have to have the lows to appreciate the highs.  Even though it has been a rough go here lately I am cheering for a big upswing for you this weekend.

I agree with your grandpa, there is a lot of truth in that... and I could use another solid 140" white tail for my wall. My other big white tail is from Wyoming, so it would be nice to get a complimentary deer from Wa.

Online Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 11:36:05 AM »
After your year I see a BIG buck in your future, can’t wait to hear how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 11:41:48 AM »
Hope you tag a dandy!  I will be looking for a whitey with at least 3 points on one side next weekend!
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline GUscottie

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 01:44:34 PM »
Well, the hunt is a wrap...The fun had was immense. And the story is as follows:

Leave from home on Friday about 1020am...Traffic on 167 sucked to the maximum, so I got to my friend's farm at 3, rather than 2:15 as planned...We head out and immediately start seeing some bucks. I learn that the amount of land I have to hunt is much greater than the original 4,000ish acres (his farm roughly). It turns out the neighbor and another fellow in the area are "ok" with me hunting on their property, but again, the bucks just haven't been seen by anyone.

While driving the farm, we see a few does and some spikes. We decide to head down to the "river" and check out some hunt able land down along the Snake River. We immediately see a forked horn buck chasing his harem of 8 does. My buddy tells me this is a good buck and I should really consider shooting it. Me, being me, I say, I'll shoot him tomorrow, but not on my first day.

After ending the evening hunt there, we talk to another property owner who gives us permission to trespass on his property. He tells me that in 2015 he killed 30-something deer (3 point or better) on his property and this year 7 bucks were killed.

Saturday morning starts and it is slow. I don't see much during the morning hunt. My buddy heads home to take a nap and I head to check another big chunk of his property that hadn't been hunted since Gen Buck. I crest a hill with the wind to my back and wouldn't ya know...A big 3x3 mule deer comes bursting from the bottom less than 50 yards from me. He's hot on a doe and doesn't know I'm there. The doe and her 5 girlfriends and the spike bolt away from me. I can't get a shot at the buck as he was pushing hard and wouldn't stop for anything. He ran too far too fast for me to have any clue where they went when the went over the next hill.

I start the long, slow trek back to the house and while doing so, I spook a doe and a small forked horn behind her. Couldn't get a shot on him...I tell myself at this point, the next buck that gives me a shot is getting smoked. (it's noon and I have the rest of today and Sunday to hunt).

I am to the last draw before coming out in the stubble to get to my friend's parents. Wouldn't ya know...A doe and I are in a stare down at 75 yards, then boom, she busts to my left and a second doe and buck head directly away from me. I choose to go straight at them, rather than after the first doe (my bad). The buck and his lady in heat take a hard left and follow doe #1 into the stubble and out of my life. This buck was a solid forked horn about his ears that had been haunting both of the farm houses a fair bit.

I meet up with my friend and we have lunch after exchanging pleasantries with his parents, whom I'd not seen in over 10 years!

We head up to a chunk of CRP that my friend bought for he and his wife and he drops me off and says he's gonna drive around to another draw to pick me up.

I start my slow descent into the CRP and spook a doe about 100 yards away. She runs two draws away before stopping, all in about 30 seconds. I sit there, almost motionless when I hear something still in the draw where she came out of. Sure enough a second deer follows in her exact tracks but stops at 95 yards. I pull up the Nightforce and voila! I see an antler on his passenger side and nothing on the driver side. I point down at his upper center chest and BOOM!

He fell over deader than a doornail in one shot from the trusty 6.5x284. @longrange7mm had given me a ton of help on this gun combo.

Well, the tale of the tape was a yearling buck with about a 7-8" antler on his left side and a 2" broken off spike on his right side. he was rutted up something fierce and had absolutely NO fat on his body. I told myself that this hunt was more than a rack, it was about an adventure and I had one, a good one.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 02:50:18 PM »
Congrats on getting it done and taking an ethical shot rather than one on the run.  That is going to be some great table fare there. 
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]