collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need advice from Mechanics, or those familiar with how good auto shops operate  (Read 8005 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
I'm most curious where the guy was going to find and install a reman 4.7 for $2500.00
That's amazingly cheap. I'd venture to say that if you called 3 different reputable shops, you'd get 3 prices and all of them would be more than double that.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Is this a 4.7L motor?

Yes, it is. Why do you ask?

Because once the 4.7 starts throwing valve/cylinder codes, you might as well get a new motor.
The oil journals and pickup tube on a 4.7 get clogged up restricting oil to the pats that need oil.
You usually do not notice until it throws a check engine light, and by then the motor has been starved for oil and the damage is already done.
This condition can happen with both Synthetic and Dyno oil motors.
I had a 2002 Dodge Ram with a 4.7, ran 10W30 dyno oil and change oil every 3k miles. This problem popped up at 230k miles.
I also had a 2001 Durango with a 4.7 that had Mobile 1 synthetic from day one. Same problem happened at $210k.
The dealers will deny their is a systemic issue, and throw parts at the problem, but it will just keep getting worse until catastrophic failure.
I would never buy a used 4.7.
The sludge issue has happened on 4.7 vehicles with less than 30k miles.

Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
4.7 l can be a nightmare , honestly if it sounds to cheap to be true it probably is. your issue is value worth cost . my guess is the head gasket leaks or the head is cracked causing a misfire. the engine could very well be slugged up . they make some decent flushes but if your losing coolant into a cylinder your wasting your time.  time to soul search the valve of a 15 year old dodge dakota . :twocents:
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Atroxus

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
Thank for all the feedback. Sounds like I have been getting good service, but have a truck with a poorly designed motor, and a mechanic who probably provided more warranty on a used motor than he should have. It turned out I was mistaken about the warranty, they provided a 2 year warranty, which currently has 1 month left on it. Last update I received, they were unable to find another used motor, so they are covering the cost for a re-manufactured motor but the warranty will expire in 1 month. They offered a new motor with a 10 year warranty for $2500, but I just don't have the money right now or I would have pounced on it.

Online Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
Thank for all the feedback. Sounds like I have been getting good service, but have a truck with a poorly designed motor, and a mechanic who probably provided more warranty on a used motor than he should have. It turned out I was mistaken about the warranty, they provided a 2 year warranty, which currently has 1 month left on it. Last update I received, they were unable to find another used motor, so they are covering the cost for a re-manufactured motor but the warranty will expire in 1 month. They offered a new motor with a 10 year warranty for $2500, but I just don't have the money right now or I would have pounced on it.
That shop should get ALL of your business FOREVER. They have gone way above and beyond IMO.
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
That shop should get ALL of your business FOREVER. They have gone way above and beyond IMO.
:yeah: Sounds like they have really treated you right.  :tup:
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
I still can't figure out how they're doing a reman engine for $2500.00 installed. Or why they're covering a reman engine for you at all to be honest.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
I still can't figure out how they're doing a reman engine for $2500.00 installed. Or why they're covering a reman engine for you at all to be honest.

And a 10 year warranty, I would have bought two!
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Atroxus

• Sourdough

Well the 10 year warranty was if I got a new motor instead of re-manufactured. I just got my truck back with the re-manufactured motor and it is running better than it was even before the first motor replacement. They went ahead and gave me 2 more months of warranty as well just to make sure that this motor isn't a dud. :o Based on what I have read in this thread I am pleasantly surprised, and they will be getting all of my future business, and as many referrals as I can generate. :) iirc advertising here is discouraged if not paid, so PM me if you want to know the name of the shop.  :tup:

Offline Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman

Well the 10 year warranty was if I got a new motor instead of re-manufactured. I just got my truck back with the re-manufactured motor and it is running better than it was even before the first motor replacement. They went ahead and gave me 2 more months of warranty as well just to make sure that this motor isn't a dud. :o Based on what I have read in this thread I am pleasantly surprised, and they will be getting all of my future business, and as many referrals as I can generate. :) iirc advertising here is discouraged if not paid, so PM me if you want to know the name of the shop.  :tup:

Post it up!! It's not advertising, it's a referral

Offline Atroxus

• Sourdough

Post it up!! It's not advertising, it's a referral

Accurate Auto in Snohomish.  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]