collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: bench rest shooting techniques--help needed pls  (Read 37568 times)

Offline Bill W

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
Re: bench rest shooting techniques--help needed pls
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2017, 09:25:48 AM »
Your scope might been having issues inside that you can't see. Who made the scope ? Try another scope. Mine did the same exact thing as you're describing.

good advice to verify with a different scope.  I've had a couple over the years that have had the innards knocked loose.

Offline wooltie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2017, 09:26:02 AM »
Your scope might been having issues inside that you can't see. Who made the scope ? Try another scope. Mine did the same exact thing as you're describing.

I never considered the scope as the cause of the issues because it is a loop VX-3i I purchased new last year.  Figured the risk was low.  But I could always swap scopes real quick to verify that the bore is the cause, not the scope.  I haven't adjusted the scope when I've shot the rifle the last few times.  It shoots onto paper, but doesn't group.

Using JB to clean the bore removed all the brown coloring from the lands and grooves, so I figured I would be re-breaking in the barrel.  So I cleaned the bore after each shot, letting the shots land where they would.  Shots 2-4 groupded decently, but off target.  Shot 5 was dead center.  Then shots started going 3" high, 4" low, 2" high etc., all while I watched copper accumulate on the lands.  I mean, the lands are covered in a sheet of copper after only 2 shots.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2017, 11:10:36 AM »

I never considered the scope as the cause of the issues because it is a loop VX-3i I purchased new last year.  Figured the risk was low.  But I could always swap scopes real quick to verify that the bore is the cause, not the scope.  I haven't adjusted the scope when I've shot the rifle the last few times.  It shoots onto paper, but doesn't group.

Using JB to clean the bore removed all the brown coloring from the lands and grooves, so I figured I would be re-breaking in the barrel. 

So I cleaned the bore after each shot, letting the shots land where they would.  Shots 2-4 groupded decently, but off target.  Shot 5 was dead center.  Then shots started going 3" high, 4" low, 2" high etc., all while I watched copper accumulate on the lands.  I mean, the lands are covered in a sheet of copper after only 2 shots.

Try calling Leupold and describe your problem. Could very well be the reason. I don't know why it would be all over the place when you've done your part. I bet it's a scope problem.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2017, 12:17:19 PM »
put it on a gun you've shot before and know how it shoots.  If the scope has issues it will show up.

Offline wooltie

• Scout
« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2017, 12:25:46 PM »
Yeah I have a Nikon I can pop on in lieu of the Loop.  I'm going to laugh if the gun shoots just fine with all that copper in it, and sadly conclude that the scope was actually the problem.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2017, 12:48:39 PM »
Yeah I have a Nikon I can pop on in lieu of the Loop.  I'm going to laugh if the gun shoots just fine with all that copper in it, and sadly conclude that the scope was actually the problem.

Hopefully I'm right and problem solved. Leupold will fix it and carry on...
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2017, 10:13:41 PM »
put it on a gun you've shot before and know how it shoots.  If the scope has issues it will show up.
Yeah, sage advice.  I was convinced one year that the scope must have been the issue.  Put the suspect scope on the back up rifle and a back up scope on the primary rifle.  The rifle with the back up scope was still shooting poorly, and the back up rifle was shooting great.  Good way to eliminate variables.

Offline wooltie

• Scout
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2017, 08:44:59 AM »
No scope issues.  Still won't group at all.  I used JB non embedding compound to remove all the brown and orange coloration from the bore before this last test. 

Four shots later from a clean bore, and man you should see how much copper is on the lands and in the grooves.

Gun is still under warranty from Winchester so I'm sending it in for evaluation.  Hopefully Winchester will install a new barrel.

Offline wooltie

• Scout
Re: bench rest shooting techniques--UPDATE
« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2017, 10:04:23 AM »
Sent the gun to winchester.  Their best smith looked at it and determined that the end of the barrel was rough, so he hand lapped the barrel.

Shot the gun, verified POI and supposedly will send me the target and ammo used along with the gun.

Haven't received it yet, but hopefully this resolves the issue.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2017, 10:41:41 AM »
Sent the gun to winchester.  Their best smith looked at it and determined that the end of the barrel was rough, so he hand lapped the barrel.

Shot the gun, verified POI and supposedly will send me the target and ammo used along with the gun.

It will be great to hear how it works out. 

Offline wooltie

• Scout
« Reply #130 on: November 20, 2017, 02:13:54 PM »

It will be great to hear how it works out.

Well, it didn't/hasn't worked out so far.

I shot 13 rounds from a clean bore, waiting 2 minutes between shots and not cleaning the bore between shots.  I used fresh, factory hornady interlock ammo.

Shots 1-4 fouled the barrel.  Shots 5-8 were on target.  Shots 9-13 alternated between on target and 2" high/2" to the right.

All together-- 4 were foulers, 6 were on target, and 3 were high and right.

And the lands at the muzzle are coated in copper, just like before I sent the gun off to Winchester for service.  Conversely, I shot my A-bolt this season (and hunted with it) used the same bench setup and ammo (same caliber) and put .5 MOA groups at 200 yards.  After 10-15 rounds down down the pipe, the barrel on that gun shows almost no signs of copper.

I think I'll just have a new barrel installed in the Winchester.  Tired of messing around with it.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #131 on: November 20, 2017, 10:14:34 PM »
Thanks for the update

Offline wooltie

• Scout
« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2018, 10:27:40 AM »
Had a #5 benchmark barrel installed.  Scope is all setup.  Can't wait to 'break in' this weekend.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]