Author Topic: Pinks  (Read 26559 times)

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
Re: Pinks
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 09:00:45 PM »
The commercial guys have been fishing long before the runs got so big the last couple of cycles. I'm not going to believe the forecasts, just going to see what shows up.

WDFW claims bad ocean conditions and low warm spawning streams for the big drop in numbers.

We will see...
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 09:07:45 PM »
The commercial guys have been fishing long before the runs got so big the last couple of cycles. I'm not going to believe the forecasts, just going to see what shows up.

WDFW claims bad ocean conditions and low warm spawning streams for the big drop in numbers.

We will see...

:yeah:  Pinks have a two year life cycle.  Just remember back to 2015 when it didn't snow or rain, and there was no water in the rivers.  Not a good combo for an early spawning fish. 

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 09:17:27 PM »
And pinks are least affected by the stream conditions compared to other salmon if I recall correctly.  The pinks don't have to travel very far upstream to spawn.  And once hatched the fry go right to the salt at the mouth of the river.  Other salmon are dependent on cool side creeks and deep channels high in the system, then their young gradually head down the river...in some cases over a year.

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 09:39:28 PM »
I don't like nets either.  But you can't blame 8m to 1m on the same nets that were there in the years leading up to the 8m.  River conditions and el nino makes sense as something that changed.  Who knows, maybe the "experts" will be completely wrong.  We're already way above forecast in the Lake WA sockeye run.  Of course, also way down on the Columbia sockeye run. 

Offline The Gobble-stopper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 11:40:12 PM »
I am thinking they will be wrong too! Its my understanding the pink prediction went by smolt counts. If the smolts had a late or early hatch then the count would be off. So I am predicting that when the actual ocean count comes in that they may rethink the bonus 2 fish limit.. Lets see what happens???

Offline SteelheadTed

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 10:14:18 PM »
What I've seen nobody said is about the net boats running all the way across from Mukilteo to Whidbey during the humpy/silver season the last 2 seasons and the nets all across the Snohomish when they run up the river.  I'm not blaming anybody but this has got to stop.   We had 8 million humpies a couple years ago and now we have almost none.  Someone please explain this to me.

I agree that the netting is frustrating but you really aught to show some data before assuming the nets are to blame for the low fish numbers this year.  It isn't productive to assume such things given the tensions of Puget Sound fisheries these days.  The Pink run is most likely down this year due to some high water events that happened at a critical time in fish development.  This was explained by one of the state biologists.  Pick up the phone and talk to a biologist instead of assuming.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/feb2817b/
I know I've lost it, let me know if you come across it

Online Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 11:06:11 PM »
If fished MA11 yesterday, and got into some cohos, so pinks should be here as well.  Another week, I guess and try your fav spots.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 07:35:57 AM »
What I've seen nobody said is about the net boats running all the way across from Mukilteo to Whidbey during the humpy/silver season the last 2 seasons and the nets all across the Snohomish when they run up the river.  I'm not blaming anybody but this has got to stop.   We had 8 million humpies a couple years ago and now we have almost none.  Someone please explain this to me.

I agree that the netting is frustrating but you really aught to show some data before assuming the nets are to blame for the low fish numbers this year.  It isn't productive to assume such things given the tensions of Puget Sound fisheries these days.  The Pink run is most likely down this year due to some high water events that happened at a critical time in fish development.  This was explained by one of the state biologists.  Pick up the phone and talk to a biologist instead of assuming.

Not sure how you could "not assume" that "nets" are the no.1 threat to the salmon runs :dunno: The Chum run is a perfect example. I would trust personal observation any day over bio data these days :twocents:
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 08:05:52 AM »
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 08:13:28 AM »
Catch and Release them, I mean their pinks right ?
I prefer ch  nookie
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:21:00 AM by MADMAX »
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2017, 08:48:20 AM »
Yeah the tribes Catch and Release them... after they strip their roe of coarse :rolleyes:
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2017, 10:06:49 AM »
Yeah the tribes Catch and Release them... after they strip their roe of coarse :rolleyes:

You got that right..
275 down 2

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2017, 10:54:54 AM »
If fished MA11 yesterday, and got into some cohos, so pinks should be here as well.  Another week, I guess and try your fav spots.

Those are the resident coho that don't migrate out of the sound. The ocean fish won't be here for another month or so.

Offline SteelheadTed

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2017, 07:14:51 PM »

Not sure how you could "not assume" that "nets" are the no.1 threat to the salmon runs :dunno: The Chum run is a perfect example. I would trust personal observation any day over bio data these days :twocents:

Come on man, you didn't have proof of your first claim and now you've made another claim you can't possibly substantiate, that the biologists data are somehow suspect.  Not only is that disrespectful to the hardworking biologists in our state (who don't make policy, which seems to be your real gripe) and you've offered no proof.  What proof do you have of either claim?  Personal observation is not proof. 
I know I've lost it, let me know if you come across it

Online Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2017, 07:18:20 PM »
Funny how the biologists are spot on when it comes to fish, but are liars when it comes to cougars and woofs by many on this site.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal