collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Stump Shootin'  (Read 3271 times)

Offline Cab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Stump Shootin'
« on: July 14, 2017, 12:40:08 PM »
Was thinking of doing a little stump shootin' in the woods northeast of silver star area with my recurve and was curious if anyone has any problems doing this? I obviously will be avoiding popular/common hiking trails but still I've never been out there stumpin and wanted to make sure I wouldn't be getting people freaking out with me flinging a few arrows.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:59:20 PM by Cab »

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Stump Shootin'
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 12:44:23 PM »
After trying it one time I won't ever do it again. Ruined arrows and had to dig my judo tips out of the stump with my pocket knife. Once was enough for me. Maybe I used the wrong head, but the ruined arrows had nothing to do with the heads I was using.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 12:51:23 PM »
After trying it one time I won't ever do it again. Ruined arrows and had to dig my judo tips out of the stump with my pocket knife. Once was enough for me. Maybe I used the wrong head, but the ruined arrows had nothing to do with the heads I was using.

I shoot my recurve and wood arrows I make myself so I have broken many arrows stump shooting. The key I found is what poundage you shoot and what you shoot. I often opt for mushrooms or leaves more then wood objects and shoot with max a 45lb recurve(also use judo points). I love it but then again I get wood blanks for cheap.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:59:00 PM by Cab »

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 01:06:29 PM »
I've never ran into any conflicts while shooting stumps.  Use your head and a little common sense and there's little to get anyone worked up about.  Most think you're a little odd sneaking up on an old rotten stump or dirt clod.

I always used rubber heads with a small screw in my carbon shafts or a rubber head over a steel blunt when shooting traditional.  Breaking and losing a few is part of the fun, especially in a round of follow the leader/HORSE type of game.  A lot more interesting and challenging targets are out there for those willing to donate to the cause :)

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 01:08:52 PM »
I've never ran into any conflicts while shooting stumps.  Use your head and a little common sense and there's little to get anyone worked up about.  Most think you're a little odd sneaking up on an old rotten stump or dirt clod.

I always used rubber heads with a small screw in my carbon shafts or a rubber head over a steel blunt when shooting traditional.  Breaking and losing a few is part of the fun, especially in a round of follow the leader/HORSE type of game.  A lot more interesting and challenging targets are out there for those willing to donate to the cause :)

Great tips thank you!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 04:29:19 PM »
I've only stump shot a couple of times. I think the key to not breaking shafts is use carbon arrows, and pick softer stumps!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 04:39:14 PM »
In my experience, it doesn't work with compounds - for obvious reasons.
I have had some success shooting a rubber blunt tip, but if it's a hard stump, it'll still break arrows.

Recurves and Longbows work a bit better. :tup:
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline dreamunelk

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 06:27:48 PM »
Started archery hunting shooting stumps.   Trick is to pick the rotten stumps.  Expect to break arrows.  I use the ones that I am okay with losing.  If shooting a recurve use target point or a rubber blunt or during season I use a grouse arrow with a steel blunt.  I shoot a long bow.  usualy go through 3-4 grouse arrows a season.  Mostly broke on stumps.  Some when I miss a grouse.  Bad idea to use a modern compound unless you have a pack full of arrows.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]