collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 18 ish foot aluminum fishing boat advice  (Read 6035 times)

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
18 ish foot aluminum fishing boat advice
« on: July 16, 2017, 08:08:59 PM »
Good evening all...
Decided I might want to purchase a boat (used), and wanted to start the research now, as i love to over analyze and research about everything i buy  :chuckle:
Looking at getting into a used 18 ish foot aluminum boat.
Price...looking (hoping) to stay aroundddddd 15k, preferably less obviously.
looking at aluminum due to lighter weight, easier to tow etc.  I drive a 2006 tacoma, and my next truck will likely be a tacoma.
I will be using it in lakes, and out on the sound for the usual stuff, shrimp, crab, salmon, maybe more.
I understand there will be limitations with that size boat i am looking at at the waters I can go out on, and I'm ok with that.
I would also like something with a windshield so that I can get a top and have it fully enclosed (if it doesnt already come with one)
Recently spent a week in south east alaska around petersburg on an 18 ft aulmaweld stryker doing some crabbing and halibut fishing, and it seemed to fit the bill quite well.  seas got rough and swells kicked up, we just headed in to calmer waters, no biggie.
Anyways, just looking for recommendations from any boat experts on things I should be looking for, or boats I should be considering, or if my budget and constraints are even reasonable.
Thanks!

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: 18 ish foot aluminum fishing boat advice
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 11:39:50 PM »
Some good deals on CL right now. I'd get something like this and buy a new motor and put some TLC into it revamping it if, I was looking to spend some cash. Having a new motor and rigging is #1 to enjoying a boat IMO

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/hewescraft-aluminum-fishing/6220087966.html

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 01:25:23 AM »
If you are gona fish the sound look for something with a decent V and if aluminum, thicker hull.  For an 18 footer 90hp is perfect.  I have an 18 foot Hewescraft Sportsman.  Awesome boat, but i mainly fish the salt. So a deeper V and thicker hull is what I want in my next boat.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 06:52:29 AM »
Hewescraft makes a great boat. I'm on my second one. I jumped from a 17' Searunner to a full cabin 22' Searunner. Don't be in a rush though. Keep watching CL and a good deal will show up. Avoid something that needs a lot of TLC though. You may have corrosion issues that you wont see upon initial inspection.

As for brands in your desired length. On the high end Hewescraft, Northriver, Boulton, Duckworth. Middle road boats Raider and Alumaweld. I would avoid lesser brands.

Just be aware for your price range your looking probably minimum tens years old and at least 500 hrs on the motor. 

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 08:13:41 AM »
Here is a link to my boat buying thread. Lots of good advice. We still use our boat a ton...was a great investment. Hours of family fun. Good luck on your boat buying adventure!!

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,153871.0.html
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 08:20:53 AM »
one other tip is to make sure that the boat and trailer will fit inside your garage (should you intend to store it inside).   Most 18foot boats with swing tongues will fit inside.

Offline lazydrifter

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 04:27:38 PM »

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 08:32:38 PM »
15k is going to be tough, new will be at least double plus all the necessary extras.  Start looking and when you see one that looks decent, buy it as it will be gone in a day or two.  Honestly, you won't have a ton of choices for a saltwater worthy boat in that range so don't be too picky.  Find an ugly one with low hours on the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NW SURVEYOR

• Scout
  • Groups: RMEF NRA
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 08:57:58 PM »
Plugger has an 18 footer all set to go with downriggers and the whole enchilada.
Fits your needs perfect.
You can fish the lakes and salt.
I have a 20 StarCraft and I love it.
With your Toyota it will trailer great.
I don't know the guy, but it may be a real good deal.
Good luck.
Rob.

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 08:58:51 PM »
Craigslist has an 18 foot alumaweld sport skiff center console 2 years old. My recommendation would be for the center console instead of the front windshield you can always put canvas from the bow to just in front of the console for full enclosure.
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 09:53:54 PM »
My 19' Stryker worked well for many years.  90hp engine was more than enough.  Most people wouldn't believe what I've been out in.

Sorry Katmai, I disagree with the center console.  Having a windshield and at least canvas top on it is a necessity IMO for a variety of reasons.  Of course, I am a year round boater on the Sound.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 11:02:57 PM »
StarCraft Riveted boats are nice. Been out in a few. One was old as dirt and been in salt whole life. They say guaranteed not to leak for life. They are super light and haul butt with a moderate motor. My buddy has the 21' cuddy with a 125. It flat out moves. Will tick near upper 40's on glass. Get those in great shape, low hours well within your budget. Depends on what you want to do with the boat. Lakes, sound or, rivers.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 07:16:20 AM »
Pluggers boat is a really good deal, and close to your budget...I have seen the boat on the water, and its sharp!!
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 07:22:00 AM »
My 19' Stryker worked well for many years.  90hp engine was more than enough.  Most people wouldn't believe what I've been out in.

Sorry Katmai, I disagree with the center console.  Having a windshield and at least canvas top on it is a necessity IMO for a variety of reasons.  Of course, I am a year round boater on the Sound.

To each his own, I just prefer standing in the center than getting bounced up and down in the front when it's rough.  When I took rookies fishing it helped to have them in front of me and watch them and the water at the same time and I could run the riggers easier.  Some people say I'm anal. :dunno:
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 07:53:21 PM »
thanks for all of the replies so far.
what should i be looking for with regards to hull thickness and what degree bottom?
i see the stryker is a 14 degree full vee hull and .160 thickness (at least the new ones)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]