collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Got drawn for Peaches archery with my best friend.  (Read 8789 times)

Offline philbradeen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Got drawn for Peaches archery with my best friend.
« on: July 20, 2017, 11:14:12 AM »
We plan to pack into the back country. Any thoughts on that? I know a lot of the great guides down there drive the road systems and call in the early AM and have good luck. I don't have money to hire one of those outfits. I also would rather pack in somewhere for the experience but meat is meat in the end.

I have been hunting the area since I was 10 with rifle ( am now 32 ). This is my first chance with a bow and I'm extremely excited. The season is Sept 9th - Sept 21st. Should I be expecting to use calls at this time or is it too early? Spot and stalk, wallow sitting?

Thanks for any ideas or anybody that just wants to chat.

Best of luck to all hunters!

Offline 7mag.

• Blacktail Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • YAR member
Re: Got drawn for Peaches archery with my best friend.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 09:42:47 PM »
My hunting partner and I drew the same tag. We are planning on backpacking in as well. Luckily it's a two week season and I have the whole two weeks off, so there will be time to adjust tactics if needed.
Semper Fi. USMC

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 10:18:50 PM »
Don't bother bugling. Most people screw it up anyhow. Cows calls and listening for locations will be your best bet. They will be active in the mornings and at night. Try and locate what sounds like a good one and try to put eyes on it. Go from there with a spot/stalk/call approach. Best of luck. I had this tag in 2014. Learned a ton. Wish I had it again and could put that knowledge to use

Offline philbradeen

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 10:27:00 PM »
Awesome. Good luck to you 7mag, Maybe we'll see you out there.

Thanks for the info greenhead_killer. Did you end up tagging out in 2014?

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 11:23:17 PM »
I did not. Had multiple opportunities but ate the tag. Wasn't what I was after. Had elk from 3-30 yards in shooting range multiple times. Passed on a 280+ 5x6 day two that was a chip shot, just the name of the game I guess.

Offline 87samurai

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 10:29:59 PM »
I also drew the tag. Did a little scouting today. Trying to learn the area.  :tup:

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 05:03:47 PM »
We plan to pack into the back country. Any thoughts on that? I know a lot of the great guides down there drive the road systems and call in the early AM and have good luck. I don't have money to hire one of those outfits. I also would rather pack in somewhere for the experience but meat is meat in the end.

I have been hunting the area since I was 10 with rifle ( am now 32 ). This is my first chance with a bow and I'm extremely excited. The season is Sept 9th - Sept 21st. Should I be expecting to use calls at this time or is it too early? Spot and stalk, wallow sitting?

I would stay down low cuz once ur up that high with out a truck u have way less areas u can go.  it sounds ur like me and know the area well so u will have plenty of good spits to drive too. hunt the back side of the clear cuts and couple miles into the wilderness and you'll get into plenty of Bulls

Offline White Pass Outfitters

• High mtn hunter
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
    • Kent Dinelt
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 07:55:31 PM »
I have to disagree on staying down low, if your after a Big mature Bull get away from the roads and as far back as you can go with knowing you can still get the meat out in time. Down low you will have guys singing away and some not very good at it and that tends to shut up the Bigger Bulls. Nothing worse than calling in other hunters. Think step and deep!!!
KD

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 05:01:13 PM »

I've had that tag 1 times and helpEd a few friends out with the tag.  I've done the diy wilderness hunt in that area and hunted low for years when I was a kid too during MF.  I suggest don't put all ur bread in one basket.  put 75% in hunting low edges of clear-cut and edges of wilderness. hunt all ur good spots u remember seeing rubs and other sign when u hunted MF. do like one or 2 hunts up hight spike camp style in the wilderness. with out horses ur very limited on where u can go and getting the meat out b4 it goes bad.  remember once ur up there ur dedicated to that one area. ( it's one thing to think you can follow the elk herd and just put them to bed and hunt them the next morning it's another to actually do it) don't get me wrong the wilderness in 346 is amazing! and fun but it's very hard to do more then 3 days up there with out horses to pack ur stuff in and out especially when you can hunt low, have your vehicle at your disposal with a comfortable camp and plenty of spots that hold bulls that u can move to when ur emotions and confidence is changing. idk man I'm just saying there is plenty of bulls in 346 down low.  Put it this way if you stay down low and if ur a 1/2 decent Hunter and hunt hard I guarantee you will get into bulls and have a few with in 50 yards but if you go up in the wilderness I can't guarantee that.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 06:54:31 PM »
The guide in the area locates right off the roads, you don't need to go deep if that's not your cup o tea.  My dad missed a 350+ bull less than 100 yards off a main road. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

• High mtn hunter
  • Scout
    • Kent Dinelt
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 07:23:53 PM »
You guys are forgetting the big picture its not about the kill, its about the hunt. How rewarding is it to kill a bull 100 yards of a road. In my opinon it would be aweful hard to brag up a kill that close to a road. I have killed 300 bulls and 350+ bulls and some of those smaller bulls were my most memorable hunts. But then im a diehard wilderness hunter also. Just my opinon.
KD

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 07:40:15 PM »
You guys are forgetting the big picture its not about the kill, its about the hunt. How rewarding is it to kill a bull 100 yards of a road. In my opinon it would be aweful hard to brag up a kill that close to a road. I have killed 300 bulls and 350+ bulls and some of those smaller bulls were my most memorable hunts. But then im a diehard wilderness hunter also. Just my opinon.
I know what your saying, I'm a wilderness guy myself.  But my dad is a disabled hunter and my post was just saying it can be done close to the road.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 09:03:32 PM by trophyhunt »
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 10:46:16 AM »
it's very hard to have an effective hunt/camp in the wilderness for more then 2 or 3 days with out horses. it's not like u can pick up camp and move around.  once u get busted them elk can easily move 3 Canyons over where is down-low if a place gets busted or blownwhere is down-low u can get in ur truck and target completely different elk. 

• High mtn hunter
  • Scout
    • Kent Dinelt
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 11:03:54 AM »
I have a 7 day pack, a 3 day pack and a overnight pack, everyone of them are packed and ready to go at any giving time. When I take my mules im good for 14 days. I just really don't like hunting around other hunters if I can help it. Other hunters will blow your hunt more than you will every time. Not saying I don't know guys who get there bulls hunting the low lands its just not for me. Id rather hunt the wilderness by myself and not get an elk than hunt down low with all the other hunters. Just my opinion 
KD

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 11:08:56 AM »
I don't know much about that unit other than what I learned scouting this year.  What I can say is there are plenty of roads and plenty of places a long way from a road.  Plenty of terrain for any type of experience you want.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]